ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master of the World (1961)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Your mention of an ocean liner is quite apt, I think. If there were to be any ocean crossings in this craft, I would think that those portions of the journey would need to be made at "full steam", seeing as how a lot of water stretching to the horizon is pretty boring stuff. That would be a trade-off between getting across expeditiously and taking breaks for a stroll in the fresh air.

You're not quite comprehending the purpose of a "yacht", Wayne.

Rich people don't cross the Atlantic or the Pacific in their yachts. They cross in ocean liners (or by air) and send the yacht ahead with the regular crew.

Think of a yacht as the Cadillac convertible you drive through Yellowstone Park, and the deluxe state room on a cross-country train as the mode of travel that get's you there.
Very Happy

orzel-w wrote:
I'm considering the aerodynamic penalty of the gas(less)bag itself, more than the rigid supporting structure. But your mention of an extra layer of fabric over the vacuum bag for aerodynamics sounds like a cure for that problem (which could probably be accomplished within the same structure), although that much fabric still adds considerable weight.

Respectful, sir, I disagree.

The fabric covering of a dirigible has to be generously supported by a dense framework of aluminum. It would add to the weight.

And since the vessel is supposed to go slowly for site seeing, there seems to be no need for it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Rich people don't cross the Atlantic or the Pacific in their yachts. They cross in ocean liners (or by air) and send the yacht ahead with the regular crew.

In a lot of cases they have their yachts transported by a special ship. It saves on time, fuel and engine wear. I saw this on a show about yachts on the Discovery channel a few years back.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
If you could do without the hydrogen OR the helium, you could reduce the total weight of the ship. And if a gas was discovered which had no mass at all, it could be used to equalize the pressure without adding any weight to the ship at all.

Well, if a device could be made that shields an area from the Higgs Field it would strip the mass from anything within that area. Therefore you could still support the airbags to offset external pressures and at the same time have a zero mass (weight) of the gas inside.

We don't know how to do that just yet, but who knows?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on topic (do I dare?)... I found this comparative size chart for mostly Navy blimps and added in the Albatross.

It's a pretty small craft, but with more crew space than a comparably sized blimp.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Getting back on topic (do I dare?)... I found this comparative size chart for mostly Navy blimps and added in the Albatross.

Interesting chart. Good job, adding the Albatross to it. I had no idea the Albatross was so small compared to the others.

Gord Green wrote:
Well, if a device could be made that shields an area from the Higgs Field it would strip the mass from anything within that area. Therefore you could still support the airbags to offset external pressures and at the same time have a zero mass (weight) of the gas inside.

All RIGHT! Very Happy

Now we're talking science fiction! The angels are singing your praise right now, sir.

Krel wrote:
In a lot of cases they have their yachts transported by a special ship. It saves on time, fuel and engine wear. I saw this on a show about yachts on the Discovery channel a few years back.

Hey, I didn't know that. Thanks, David!

The pictures of the Russian vacuum airship which show it cruising over snow-covered mountains and visiting ancient ruins in Egypt (or some other Middle East region) are spectacular demonstrations of what a great site-seeing and exploration vehicle the airship would be.

Hoovering inside the ruins of an ancient temple while lowering people down gently in a "bosun's chair" to investigate the site is a dream come true for sight seers, explorers, and archeologist! Very Happy

_____

_____

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of clarification...

Wikipedia wrote:
The main types of airship are non-rigid, semi-rigid, and rigid. Non-rigid airships, often called "blimps", rely on internal pressure to maintain the shape of the airship. Semi-rigid airships maintain the envelope shape by internal pressure, but have some form of supporting structure, such as a fixed keel, attached to it. Rigid airships have an outer structural framework which maintains the shape and carries all structural loads, while the lifting gas is contained in one or more internal gas bags or cells.

So not all airships have the rigid structural framework. (From the comparative size chart we see that the largest blimp ever built was 403' long.) When I mentioned using a fabric envelope within the framing of the Russian airship for aerodynamic purposes, I had in mind the semi-rigid category, where the existing framework would also support the aerodynamic cover. Of course that would look more like an ordinary dirigible gas bag but with external rings.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pictures of that fantastic & elegant looking airship that looks like it's something from a Jules Verne novel.

Anyone remember the Disney movie "Island At The Top Of The World?'' Not one of Disney's greatest films by any means. The visual FX range from awesome to artificial looking.

Still an entertaining movie & one of the fun aspects to it is the airship that is crucial to the plot.
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article in an old Popular Science on Blimps. The name comes from it designation, Airship Type B-Limp. And they do have a ridged structure in both the nose and tail to hold the shape.

Back in the late 70s, early 80s, there was a company (not Goodyear) that flew it's Blimp to New Orleans for some event. A friend of my Dad's went out to the Lakefront Airport (with a wonderful Art Deco terminal) to watch it dock. Through some mishap, they ended up flying the Blimp into it's mooring tower, ripping it's envelope and gasbags for most of it's length. He said that it took a very short time for it to deflate.

David.
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

___________ Master of the world (1961) trailer

Based on two Jules Verne novels, Robur the Conqueror and Master of the World, adapted by Richard Matheson. The plot is a virtual copy of Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (adapted into the 1954 film.

Four people (a government agent played by Charles Bronson with civilians Henry Hull, Mary Webster and David Frankham) become wary guests on board the fantastic airship The Albatross, commanded by Robur (Vincent Price).

Robur has decided to do away with the evils of the world by destroying all the weapons of mankind with his own weapon, his airship and its huge stockpile of drop missile bombs. The time is 1868.

_____________________ The Albatross, 2011

Much of the drama stems from the conflict between Bronson's pragmatic agent and Frankham's archaic sense of honor. Frankham's character is the gentleman-type who would warn Robur ahead of time what his intentions are before foiling him, a tactic which Bronson finds to be stupid.

On top of that, there's more tension between the two later over the young woman (Webster).

The film is hampered by extensive use of stock footage from earlier films The Four Feathers (1939 Battle Scene of African Tribe), That Hamilton Woman (1941 Destruction Of The Royal Navy) and Henry V (1944 Overflight of The Thames & London). Some of this is not a good match — the Navy ships footage is in black & white.

Webster actually gives the better performance. The men are either too melodramatic or (in Bronson's case, a bit stiff).

Most familiar with this film believe that Bronson was miscast, as does writer Matheson. Many think that an AIP contract player such as Jack Nicholson or Dick Miller would have been better.

Bronson does seem anomalous here, but he still cuts a man-of-action figure, hot off his Magnificent Seven role. Hull hams it up shamelessly but is strangely entertaining. Frankham is unlikable. Price is Price. Since this is an AIP film, the FX are very cheap compared to the '54 Disney film.

BoG's Score: 5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke and Mirrors by Mark D. Wolf.

— is an adaptation of a Jules Verne novel by A.I.P — your first clue something might go wrong.

On the plus side, it features a very intriguing miniature airship, The Albatross, built by Project Unlimited. Overall, though, the film is threadbare and never has enough money for the visual effects.

Master of the World could not have been made without stock shot — and generally poor rear screen projection.

Sidebar: Mark's on the money here with his critique. We can only imagine what Walt Disney could have done with this, as he did so magnificently, with his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

This movie would have been a classic instead of just another low budget movie from A.I.P.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I remember reading an article in an old Popular Science on Blimps. The name comes from it designation, Airship Type B-Limp.

That's a popular myth, but there's no evidence that the British (or any other country) ever had an airship with the designation "Type B" or "Limp."

One theory as to the origin of the term "blimp" is that a playful fellow flicked his thumb and forefinger against the fabric envelope of a nonrigid airship and imitated the sound it made: "Blimp!"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
One theory as to the origin of the term "blimp" is that a playful fellow flicked his thumb and forefinger against the fabric envelope of a nonrigid airship and imitated the sound it made: "Blimp!"

By gum, Scot, that might not be the actual origin of the term "blimp", but it sounds so plausible I really hope it's true! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: