ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting pictures help please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Posting pictures help please? Reply with quote

Can someone illuminate me with how to post a picture with my reviews etc. I can bring the link over from images no problem, but where do I insert it for it to become the picture?

Thanks In Advance

Spike

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originaly had a problem figuring it all out, but Bud gave me a great tutorial on it and I've been posting pics galore ever since!

Basicly, sign up at IMGUR (https://imgur.com/) for a posting account...no charge...easy to do. Then you can use one of the picture posting urls to copy and paste into your post on ASF.

Before you download it to IMGER you should resize your pic to 640 by 450 pix so they're the right size for your post.

Copy and paste the bbc code into your post....It'll look like this one for example...

Really easy!

You may want to experiment around with IMGUR to become familiar with it. Also, I'd advise Previewing your post before submitting it to make sure it looks like you want it to.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your postings!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverent Green is preaching the Godspel, Brother, so heed his words well! Very Happy

One small correction: the best size for images is 700 pixels wide rather than 640, although smaller than 700 is just fine, depending on the image and how large you want it to be.

Also, Imgur used to be good, but several months ago they made some horrible changes to their formatting, and now it's difficult to use. Many helpful features that it once had were removed, and we really miss them.

Oddly enough, the image hosting service called Photobucket was notoriously bad for years, but THEY have made changes which have greatly improved their service, and the basic membership is just $4.99 a month for 2,500 images! Very Happy

I have accounts with both Imgur and Photobucket, because I used Photobucket for years before switching to Imgur (which I now regret).

Also, I found this statement about their "FREE" plan on a site called The Verge.

Photobucket now has more accessible plans that range from $4.99 a month for a 25GB Beginner plan, to an $11.99 unlimited image hosting Expert plan. Leonard stresses that the company will always have a free plan, which allows storage of up to 250 images.

However, as Gord pointed out, Imgur is free with unlimited storage (but hard to use Sad), so you could sign up for BOTH without paying anything and decide which one you like best.

https://photobucket.com/

https://imgur.com/

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I originaly had a problem figuring it all out, but Bud gave me a great tutorial on it and I've been posting pics galore ever since!

Basicly, sign up at IMGUR (https://imgur.com/) for a posting account...no charge...easy to do. Then you can use one of the picture posting urls to copy and paste into your post on ASF.

Before you download it to IMGER you should resize your pic to 640 by 450 pix so they're the right size for your post.

Copy and paste the bbc code into your post....It'll look like this one for example...

Really easy!

You may want to experiment around with IMGUR to become familiar with it. Also, I'd advise Previewing your post before submitting it to make sure it looks like you want it to.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your postings!

Unfortunately I will only be able to download on home PC only, not allowed on works PC.

So I'll have a look see when at home, I presume that is the only way then?

The other site I use for general films (IMDb2) I just copy and paste a URL into a box provided and et voila! I was hoping maybe the boxes above on here Img - URL were the key. What are they for then?

Thanks Again

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank You Reply with quote

The Spike wrote:
The other site I use for general films (IMDb2) I just copy and paste a URL into a box provided and et voila! I was hoping maybe the boxes above on here Img - URL were the key. What are they for then?

An excellent question! Here's the answer. Don't be intimidated by all steps described below. It'll get easy with practice, I promise. Very Happy

~ About the [Img] button

The IMG button is used to surround an image code you might place in your post from some other source, like from Google images, which starts out looking like this.

https://i.imgur.com/Ryp6r90.jpg

If I highlight that code and then hit the IMG button, it puts this at the front — [img] — and this at the end — [/img].

After doing that, the image code displays like this when you hit Preview or Submit.

Spike, when you get jpeg codes from your Imgur or Photobucket accounts, they'll already have the [Img] codes around them. Very Happy

~ About the [URL] button

The [URL] button is used for making a word or phrase turn into a clickable link when you preview or submit the post.

For example, if I'm bragging shamelessly about my science fiction novel, The Wishbone Express, I can make the title take the reader right to chapter 1 just by typing the title —

The Wishbone Express

— and then highlighting it and clicking the [URL] button to make it look like this —

[url]The Wishbone Express[/url]

— and then adding an "equals sign" immediately after the letters "url", and finally pasting the actual URL for chapter 1 between the equals sign and the bracket that follows it. Like this.

[url=URL FOR CHAPTER 1 GOES HERE]The Wishbone Express[/url]

The results look like this.

The Wishbone Express

If you REALLY want to get fancy, you can put an image code in place of the word or phrase, and make the picture a clickable link! Very Happy

In other words, put THIS —

[url=http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=950]

— together with THIS (without the two extra spaces I stuck to keep it from showing as the picture itself) —

[img] https://i.imgur.com/8LdQuHU.jpg [/img][/url]

— and Viola'! You get THIS! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for IMGUR, i've opted for the "old" version and it's very easy to use. I can't speak for the "new" version...it sounds a lot more complicated than i need.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God, sir, how do I change mine back to the OLD version? I've begged the Imgur folks to let me do that, but they just ignore the request.

The Leave Beta button does not display on my account, nor on Bulldogtrekker's or Butch's, both of which I have the ability to log in to.

Help me, please! Very Happy)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a magic answer for you!

The first time I logged on to Imgur after they introduced the Beta changes I opted not to change to it, and every time I get a pop-up asking (Not too often,,,perhaps every hundred times...but I never log off...I just remain logged in.) I decline the update.

Perhaps you could open a new account (Possibley using an alternate email.) you could get the original mode.

Wish I had a better answer for you!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Just knowing what I did wrong that caused me to be stuck with it helps a little. I hate the fact that Imgur took a giant step backwards when they inflicted this crappy Beta version on us. Sad

I hope you'll never get stuck with it yourself. Trust me, it suck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: