ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barbarella (1968 France/Italy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a fairly well-known placename, as it is the longest such in Britain. It would make a great password for your account somewhere, right? It is sometimes shortened to LlanfairPG, when one doesn't have access to copy 'n' paste, though the local railway station proudly displays the name in full.

The idea of a different version of the movie, with someone else in the Dildano role, is something I have come across. The film's Wikipedia entry does quote one of the writers, Charles B. Griffith, as saying "I guess I rewrote about a quarter of the film that was shot, then reshot, and I added the concept that there had been thousands of years since violence existed, so that Barbarella was very clumsy all through the picture. She shoots herself in the foot and everything. It was pretty ludicrous. The stuff with Claude Dauphin and the suicide room were also part of my contribution to the film."
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interview in today's Metro newspaper included these questions, and Jane Fonda's answers:

...Barbarella...have you fond memories of that?

I'll probably talk about how I shot the opening space strip-tease hungover. I was so nervous - because I'm kind of modest - that I drank a lot of vodka. But there were technical problems, so I had to do it all over again the next day. So I was not only drinking vodka again but was hungover from the day before.

Was it painful doing the orgasmatron scenes? It inflicted death by orgasms, after all...

Oh that was fun! I don't know what happened to it. I wish I still had it.

Did you keep anything from the shoot? Maybe something smaller...

No! I kick myself now. I didn't understand the value of keeping stuff I could have made a lot of money if I had.

Which of your movies do you wish more people had seen?

A 1984 made-for-tv that I won an Emmy for, called The Dollmaker. It was a fantastically beautiful story.

Other topics included workout videos, plastic surgery, and whether Jane was a glass half full or half empty type - she plumped for the latter.
Smile
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
An interview in today's Metro newspaper included these questions, and Jane Fonda's answers:

Was it painful doing the orgasmatron scenes? It inflicted death by orgasms, after all...

I do wish people would keep their sex machines straight. The sex machine in Barbarella was called the Excessive Machine. The sex machine in Woody Allen's Sleeper was the Orgasmatron.

Of course, "orgasmatron" could be a genericized trademark, like Coke or Xerox or Scotch tape.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"What's this? I don't believe it! It couldn't be! You wretched, wretched girl! What have you done to my Excessive Machine? You've undone it! You've undone me! You... look! The energy cables are shrinking! You've turned them into faggots! You... You've burned out the Excessive Machine! You've blown all its fuses!"

...as quoted earlier in the thread. I suppose the Metro interviewer went for the more generic name as it didn't need any further description, while referring to "the Excessive Machine" would have puzzled a lot of people. I just did a quick image search for "orgasmatron," and the vast majority of results were connected to Motorhead, for what that's worth, though Woody Allen made a couple of cameo appearances.
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_____________________ Barbarella - 1968

__________________________ Jane Fonda

Lava Lamps seem to be really associated with this film which one book review describes as "a cosmic striptease that epitomizes late 1960s fluff erotica."

I don't have stills of the famed first few minutes, in which Jane Fonda disrobes in zero gravity, so these will have to do.

SHAG CARPETS RULE in the Future of the 40th century (or is it the 41st?)

ABOVE: AND WHAT ARE THESE TWO LADIES PLANNING TO DO?

ABOVE: A CHASE OF SOME KIND... and DOLLS ARE DIFFERENT IN THE FUTURE

BELOW: DON'T RECALL THIS SCENE - PG? Arrow MILO O'SHEA as DURAND DURAND

BARBARELLA was created in 1962 as a French comic strip.
There are rumors of a planned remake with actress Rose McGowan.

Director Roger Vadim was the son of a diplomat; he searched for the naked truth.

BoG's Score: 4 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever there was a beautiful woman who aged well, it would be Jane Fonda.

Wow . . . Cool

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
If ever there was a beautiful woman who aged well, it would be Jane Fonda.

Wow . . . Cool

The wonders of plastic surgery. Laughing

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: