ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983) Reply with quote

___ Metalstorm The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983) Trailer

Here's one of many The Road Warrior rip-offs in the eighties, this time courtesy of Charles Band (Trancers, Doll Man).

It seems apparent in the opening minutes that lead Jeffrey Byron was intended to remind viewers of Mad Max, including his attire. Byron plays Dogen, some kind of Space Ranger. When I first saw this in the theaters, I thought it took place on a post-holocaust Earth — just as in The Road Warrior — but it actually takes place on another planet, a desert world composed of small mining settlements.

Dogen is after the criminal Syn (Mike Preston, who played a good guy in The Road Warrior), an intergalactic criminal who has taken charge of the Cyclopeans, one-eyed residents of the planet. Syn has a son named Baal, a cyborg who looks older than Syn and likes to spray a green liquid which kills his victims.

____ Bad Cinema: Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn

This film was notable for an early role by a very young Kelly Preston, whose character teams up with Dogen after her father (a miner) is killed by Syn.

Dogen gets around in an armor-plated vehicle, like most others on this planet. Ray guns are also the weapons of choice. The plot revolves around some sort of crystals that everyone mines and wants to possess.

To get info, Dogen soon meets up with Rhodes (Charles Band's superstar Tim Thomerson), who I think used to be a Ranger. Later, they meet some Cyclopeans, and Dogen has to fight the huge leader (Richard Moll) in a death duel.

The film is like a western (again, like The Road Warrior), in a sci-fi setting. There are also mystical leanings and an attempt to create a whole new mythology in the Star Wars mode, suggesting that this may have been planned as the first in a series of films.

This is low budget but its main fault is that it drags in places, as some scenes could have used a bit more editing.

BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've placed this movie on my Netflix list and I'll be able to watch it next week. I hope I'm won't be disappointed. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: