ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 by Roland Emmerich (2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: 2012 by Roland Emmerich (2009) Reply with quote

Emmerich's movies run both hot and cold for me (love Independence Day and Godzilla, don't like 10,000 BC).

I don't love or hate this one, it's sort of in between: a lot of fun with terrific ideas and eye-popping FX. There's nothing really to fault about it, except perhaps the fact that it lacks the compact and likable cast of characters that makes Godzilla so much fun.

Sometimes less is more, as they say. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could possibly have one of the highest onscreen (counting little teeny weeny CGI people) body counts of all times!!!!

Another one of Emmerichs comedy with disaster flicks. Not a bad waste of time mind you — actually rather fun. Great effects. Makes a great lead in to a "what happens next" story.

Logic is . . . well . . . forget logic.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty easy movie to make an action packed trailer for. The movie is packed with scenes like those shown in this. Very Happy

__________________________ 2012 - Trailer

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie addresses many moral questions concerning the choice of those who are to be saved and those who are to be sacrificed.

When everybody can't be saved . . . is it wrong not to save the ones who can't contribute as much to the future of the race as the few who probably can?

And this movie suggests that those who pay for the salvation of the race deserve to be part of it's salvation.

I know that sounds unjust . . . but it isn't. If a rich man paid for one more lifeboat on the Titanic, he deserves a seat on it when the ship goes down. He saved all the other folks on the lifeboat he provided. Right?

On a completely unrelated note, I watched San Andreas yesterday (a 1.4 GB downloaded that looked great). I think I'll watch this one today (from my DVD).

And by gum, I think I order the Blu-ray of San Andreas. Life is too short to be cheap! Very Happy

On a side note, there's this:

Bongopete wrote:
Emmerich's version of Godzilla though . . . blegggh.

Seriously, Bongo? "The Big Apple vs The Big Lizard" was . . . blegggh?

Did you like any of the Harryhausen films? Because I love them all, and Godzilla is "Harryhausen 2.0".

____________________ 2012 (2009) - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: And the public gets what the public wants. Reply with quote

Roland Emmerich was armed with a $200 million budget, and this is what it produced. It's an easy film to dislike from an intellectual level, artistically as well, while the science fiction boffins no doubt had kittens where the science was concerned. It's also easily one hour too long in length, and come the second half of the marathon it starts to sag. There's only so many times you can watch your lead protagonists escape crumbling carnage - via various modes of transport - before the fun factor begins to wane. However.

The carnage effects are grade "A" stuff, eye popping and ear splintering, Emmerich is a master at this sort of thing, and with a likable cast comfortably chewing through the safe disaster film making screenplay, it's a very decent popcorn blockbuster. It also isn't afraid to explore some dark moments, all of which - while not all being a surprise - strike strong emotional chords. It knows its disaster movie roots and is happy to tug on them.

2012 made a $500 million profit, that's a figure not to be ignored. The blockbuster movie loving public lapped it up, they often love this stuff, they just want to see the world exploding and chases and crashes and humans imploding or being heroic. If you have to strip it bare on any sort of cerebral level, then of course it's naked. But fully clothed, attired purely in modern film popcorn clobber, then it's grand dramatic and exciting fun. And this even as you have to massage your buttocks at the two hour mark. 7/10

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, what All Sci-Fi needs it more members like Bongopete and The Spike!

But actually we do have more members like them — but they just aren't posting anymore, and I can figure out why. Sad

Perhaps it's because my political views don't agree with the folks who seem to worship our former president. But as far as I know, that only applies to two who have left — and even though I miss both of their more intelligent posts, I don't miss their misguided ones. Sad

Anyway, if any of All Sci-Fi's members are active on other message boards, please send PMs to a few of their most interesting members and extend a cordial invitation to join us here! Very Happy

Over the years I've tried everything I could think of to attract new members, and those efforts have attracted some terrific people!

But for some damn reason, many of them eventually abandoned us, and I don't know what to do about.

Help me out, guys. You'll benefit from some fresh blood around here as much as the rest of us. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: