ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) Reply with quote

Rounds out the trilogy nicely.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is directed by Sam Wannamaker and is the third and final Sinbad film that Ray Harryhausen (and his stop-motion creations) made for Columbia after The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. It stars Patrick Wayne (Sinbad), Jane Seymour (Princess Farah), Taryn Power (Dione), Patrick Troughton (Melanthius), Margaret Whiting (Zenobia) and Nadim Sawalha (Hassan). Studio work was done in England, with the exterior location work done in Spain, Malta and Jordan.

Evil sorceress Zenobia has designs on the throne and transforms the heir, Prince Kassim, into a Baboon. Kassim's sister calls on Captain Sinbad for help, who learns that a fabled man by the name of Melanthius may be their only hope. They face a perilous journey to the end of the World (a place called Hyperborea) with Zenobia and her black magic tricks in hot pursuit.

Depending on if you are a fantasy/adventure fan or not may determine how much, if at all, you get from Sinbad & The Eye Of The Tiger. For the film is chocked full of cheese and acting of the hammiest kind. The plot is your standard set up for the irrepressible Sinbad-he must travel to some remote destination to stave off evil and realign the World, and our faith, in the name of good. While it's safe to say that the film is about 15 minutes too long for a Sinbad adventure. On the other side of the coin, tho, fans of the genre and Harryhausen's work are in for a treat.

The cast have as much charisma than you can shake a stick at, perhaps not surprising when you have the offspring of John & Tyrone starring, and the adventure is colourful and dealing nicely in the realm of the fantastique. It also finds Harryhausen on super form as we are treated to skeletal demons, a bronze minotan, a big bad wasp, a gigantic walrus, a trog and a snarling sabre tooth tiger. But best of all is his baboon because the creature is part of the cast from practically start to finish, thus it interacts with the human actors and has a personality all of its own. With one particularly emotive scene a real standout in the Harryhausen/Sinbad trilogy. For the girls is the sight of Wayne in fine physical and swash buckling shape, and for the boys is the twin niceties of Power and Seymour who steadily get skimpier in their attire during the course of the story. Troughton has a good time as the mad/eccentric/genius alchemist, while Whiting owns the film with her delightfully over the top trip into evil villainy.

It's presumed that newcomers to the movie know what to expect going into this one, whilst old fans revisiting it should hopefully find that it's holding up rather well considering the genre it sits in. Good old family fun that may be weak on story but strong on popcorn entertainment value. 7/10

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Facts } Manzanares, Spain was where the beautiful scenic location shooting for the valley of Hyperborea took place.

Ray was never happy with the opening stop~motion animation scene of the battle with the 3 ghouls. He felt the execution of the fight was decent enough but that the battle as a whole did not properly set the pace for the rest of the film.

"It lacked both excitement and drama" according to Ray.

Ray was very pleased with his model and animation for the baboon.

One of the most challenging things for an animator is moving any creature with fur so that the audience doesn't notice the fur moving.

Handling the creature on its side away from the camera is one way to achieve not disturbing its hair. spraying the model with good old hair spray is another technique.

The Minaton was both an animation model and an actor in a fiberglass suit depending on the scene. Peter Mayhew who played Chewbacca in Star Wars was the man in the suit.

Ray regrets that he did not have the Minaton and the Trog clash in a battle.

The awesome looking interior set for the shrine was constructed in a Malta aircraft hanger.

"Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger" took 3 years to complete and cost $3.5 million dollars which was almost three times as much as "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" cost.

The film was a worldwide success although not a favorite with film critics.

This is an enjoyable larger-than-life RH fantasy film but not without its flaws.

The location filming is stunning to behold from Petra, Jordan to Malta, to Manzanares.

The cast performs their roles in an adequate manner. They look like such colorful and romantic characters should look like but rich characterizations are never really evident.

The arctic wasteland scene with the gigantic walrus is a bit of a letdown. The setting is fantastic and the model is terrifically detailed. The encounter leaves us with a meh feeling overall. I always felt that it would have been exciting to have Sinbad and his men come across a fearsome Yeti.

I read someplace that Ray did consider doing just that but he felt his movie was overloaded with humanoid creatures and this scene required some diversity.

While the savage battle between the Trog and the Saber Tooth Tiger is well executed, it somehow lacks real excitement because of the tiger. It just looks like a large tiger and nothing more.

It doesn't resonate with us as Ray's fantastical creatures did in his other films. The Hydra, Talos, Cycops & Taro the dragon were all mesmerizing to behold. And darn frightening.

The tiger simply does not live up to those incredible creatures created and animated by Mr. Harryhausen.

Perhaps Ray needed to have Sinbad and company meet a mythological creature and not one based in reality even if its size was for dramatic purposes and not historical accuracy.

I'm a lifelong Ray Harryhausen fan and I always enjoy this film, flaws and all.

Last edited by Pow on Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Fun Facts }Manzanares, Spain was where the beautiful scenic location shooting for the valley of Hyperborea took place.

Ray was never happy with the opening stop~motion animation scene of the battle with the 3 ghouls. He felt the execution of the fight was decent enough but that the battle as a whole did not properly set the pace for the rest of the film.

"It lacked both excitement and drama" according to Ray.

Ray was very pleased with his model and animation for the baboon.

One of the most challenging things for an animator is moving any creature with fur so that the audience doesn't notice the fur moving.

Handling the creature on its side away from the camera is one way to achieve not disturbing its hair. spraying the model with good old hair spray is another technique.

The Minaton was both an animation model and an actor in a fiberglass suit depending on the scene. Peter Mayhew who played Chewbacca in Star Wars was the man in the suit.

Ray regrets that he did not have the Minaton and the Trog clash in a battle.

The awesome looking interior set for the shrine was constructed in a Malta aircraft hanger.

"Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger" took 3 years to complete and cost $3.5 million dollars which was almost three times as much as "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" cost.

The film was a worldwide success although not a favorite with film critics.

This is an enjoyable larger-than-life RH fantasy film but not without its flaws.

The location filming is stunning to behold from Petra, Jordan to Malta, to Manzanares.

The cast performs their roles in an adequate manner. They look like such colorful and romantic characters should look like but rich characterizations are never really evident.

The arctic wasteland scene with the gigantic walrus is a bit of a letdown. The setting is fantastic and the model is terrifically detailed. The encounter leaves us with a meh feeling overall. I always felt that it would have been exciting to have Sinbad and his men come across a fearsome Yeti.

I read someplace that Ray did consider doing just that but he felt his movie was overloaded with humanoid creatures and this scene required some diversity.

While the savage battle between the Trog and the Saber Tooth Tiger is well executed, it somehow lacks real excitement because of the tiger. It just looks like a large tiger and nothing more.

It doesn't resonate with us as Ray's fantastical creatures did in his other films. The Hydra, Talos, Cycops & Taro the dragon were all mesmerizing to behold. And darn frightening.

The tiger simply does not live up to those incredible creatures created and animated by Mr. Harryhausen.

Perhaps Ray needed to have Sinbad and company meet a mythological creature and not one based in reality even if its size was for dramatic purposes and not historical accuracy.

I'm a lifelong Ray Harryhausen fan and I always enjoy this film, flaws and all.

Really enjoyed both the information and your passion for the subject in this post.

Peter Mayhew! I never knew.

So glad the great man was happy with the Baboon. As for the tiger itself, I like it, and the film title is after all a clue to what creature is waiting for us at pic's end, and we at least get Trog involved before Sinbad does his spear heroics.

Thanks again, great post.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While viewing a Youtube video that is all about Ray's fantastic films I had a thought occur to me regarding "Sinbad & the Eye of the Tiger."

In Ray's "The Clash of the Titans" he does a terrific scene where Perseus & his men battle giant scorpions.

My idea: "Sinbad & the Eye of the Scorpion."

A large scorpion would have made for a much more frightening creature in the finale of the film. You can't make up any scarier looking critter.

To have the scorpion & Trog go at it would have been sensational. Then to have the scorpion go after our heroes would have been icing on the cake.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you're right that Harryhausen's sabre toothed tiger is not scary . . . and not the most impressive animation model of his career (to put it politely).

On the other hand, a scorpion is an impressive creature, and a giant scorpion is a worthy subject for stop motion, as we've seen in one other movie by Ray and one by Pete Peterson.

Frankly this movie is not my favorite Harryhausen film (yes, I'm being polite again). Creating a stop motion orangutan seems like a waste of his talent.

What Ray does best is give life to prehistoric beast and fantasy creatures. So, going to all that trouble to create a normal orangutan that doesn't do much more than act well trained is puzzling. Confused

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Ray Harryhausen films are : "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms." Creates a nice suspenseful atmosphere as we see the Beast's attacks upon the boat and lighthouse.

Likable cast including the wonderful Cecil Kellaway.

One of the best classic "B" monster films of the 1950s.

"20 Million Miles to Earth" The Ymir is a fantastic looking design for the alien life form from Venus.

Like a number of Ray's creations, the Ymir is really an innocent being who was taken from his home world and brought to an unknown planet and held captive.

It is attacked time and again because it simply exists & hunted down and killed. The Ymir remains a tragic victim of humankind.

"The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" Ray is in his element with this rousing action adventure tale. The Cyclops is one of his most frightening creatures; the battle between the Cyclops and Taro the dragon is historic.

"Mysterious Island" Ray's stop-motion animation scenes are supported by a fine script which isn't always the case with his films. Some of his movies have a mediocre script which merely serves to support the showcasing of the animation.

Herbert Lom makes a memorable Captain Nemo and the whole cast works well together.

"Jason and the Argonauts" Well gang, here it is, Ray's spectacular & best film ever. Both story and visuals are outstanding!

Whenever most documentaries about Harryhausen's film career want to single out his most mesmerizing work it is the skeleton army battle from JATA.

"First Men in the Moon" Entertaining film and the depiction of the moon's Selenite city is intriguing. My only disappointment is the limited amount of screen time for Ray's animation in this movie.

"Valley of Gwangi" One of my favs because this is the movie with the most amount of stop~motion animation featured on screen.

The plot is really there to showcase Ray's animation and nothing more.

His other films have their moments due to Ray's legendary animation; beautiful sets and scenery; decent actors.
However, the plots are there to serve the FX.

I do wish that these productions had put as much thought & talent into creating compelling stories as there was in the sensational animation.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sinbad In Hyperborea : An Adventure Fantasy" was the title of Ray's fifteen-page outline that he sent to producer Charles Schneer in May of 1974.

Along with plot ideas for the story; Ray included key drawings and a list detailing suggested animated figures that could be used in the film.

Some ideas that did not make it into the movie were : a dwarf assistant for Zenobia, a mammoth elephant frozen in ice, a fight between Neanderthal Man and a huge viper, and a final clash between the iron man and Neanderthal.

Also omitted was having a serpant coiled around a tree, introduction of the Neanderthal's family and tribe, and an entire valley filled with vipers.

Perhaps having a little person as Zenobia's aide was deemed as politically incorrect, although the early 1970s was not exactly teeming with pc correctness.

And another way to look at it is that there was a meaty role for a little person actor in a major feature film...and the part got excised. So who wins there?

I sure give Ray credit for not giving up by including a stop~motion viper for the movie.

Ray said that his lifelong producer Charles Schneer absolutely loathed snakes. Just like Indiana Jones.

Charles would always veto including any giant snakes in Harryhausen's films. But Ray kept trying.

The iron man concept obviously evolved into the Minaton.

Ray should have listened to himself when he originally devised a fight scene between the Neanderthal and Minaton.
It also would have been unique by having two humanoid creatures fighting one another.

In "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" he pitted a four-legged creature (Taro, the dragon) against a two-legged creature (The Cyclops).

In his "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" we had two four-legged creatures clash with the centaur and the gryphon.

So Ray creating a scene with two humanoid creatures struggling would have been fresh and new for his stop~motion animation for a change.

'Sweatbox sessions' is what Ray called it when Charles, the writer of the movie & director would all come together with Harryhausen as they developed the film's script.

"Sinbad Beyond the North Wind" was once a title for the movie.

One scene from an early version of the script that wasn't shot involved a worm-creature.

The creature was released from a giant clam by two zomboids dispatched by Zenobia. The worm attacks Sinbad's vessel by getting on board and consuming the ship's wood.

Sinbad slices the creature in half but the two halves of the worm continue to live and now two worm-creatures are battling the crew.

The crew manages to rope both creatures and haul it up on the ship's rigging where they kill it by shooting it full of arrows.

Now that would have been one exciting sequence!

Some fans were perplexed that Ray & Charles did not have John Philip Law reprise the role of Sinbad from "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad."

There were two reasons for casting a different actor as Sinbad according to Ray. (1.) Columbia Pictures wanted a new actor in the role for some reason. (2.) Ray & Charles were strenuously attempting to avoid the label of sequel.

Mmm, I'm not certain that by going with a different actor as Sinbad that somehow assured the success of this film.
Law put in a decent performance in Golden and would not have hurt this third Sinbad film by reappearing again in the lead role.

Actors considered for Sinbad in Eye of the Tiger were Ben Murphy (Alias Smith and Jones), Ron Ely (Tarzan), Michael York, Jan Michael Vincent, Timothy Dalton (future James ''007'' Bond), Robert Conrad (The Wild Wild West), and Michael Douglas.

I'd have gone with either York or Dalton. I like all the other actors but somehow I envision a non-American actor in the Sinbad role.

I get that American actors are often chosen because a studio figures that will appeal more to American audiences and that will translate into bigger box office.

Just my two cents.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Ray said that his lifelong producer Charles Schneer absolutely loathed snakes. Just like Indiana Jones.

Charles would always veto including any giant snakes in Harryhausen's films. But Ray kept try

Funny, the Hydra in "Jason and the Argonauts" must have driven him up the wall! Seven snakes for the price of one! Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production, Very Happy

~ After the live action filming was done, it took animator Ray Harryhausen almost 1½ years to do the animation, all from his own home studio.

Note from me: I've always wished that Ray had taken on several talented young assistants he could train and then supervise, so that he wouldn't have to shoulder the full load of his difficult work.

~ An uncredited Peter Mayhew is the live suit actor stand-in for the stop-motion Minaton (the bronze mechanical minotaur), whose name is a portmanteau of "minotaur" and "automaton". Before filming, Mayhew was a hospital attendant at King's College Hospital in London.

Producer Charles H. Schneer saw Mayhew's photo, in which he was literally standing above the crowd around him. This was Mayhew's very first role, right before his more famous role of Chewbacca in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977). Both films were released in 1977, and "Star Wars" was released three months before this film.

Note from me: Just for fun, imagine a Harryhausen short film. Chewbacca vs the Minaton. Laughing

~ An actor in make-up originally was to play the Troglodyte but animator Ray Harryhausen said they were striving for "that fantasy effect that [King Kong (1933)] had, that wonderful never-neverland of fantasy". So he created the creature himself.

Note from me: Much of the animation for the Troglodyte involved subtle acting on the part of the stop motion character. Compare this to the skeletons and the hydra in Jason and the Argonauts. Constant action.

But of course, the Troglodyte was certainly no slouch when he battled the sabre toothed tiger.

I'm glad Ray didn't try to combine shots of an actor in make-up with stop motion animation, the way he did with Calibos in Clash of the Titans. That really didn't work.

___________________ Smilodon vs. Troglodyte

~ When approaching the castle of Milanthius, the obvious stand-in for Jane Seymour wears a green dress, while Seymour herself wears blue.

Note from me: This next item explains the one above.

~ When approaching the castle of Milanthius, Jane Seymour's dress switches from green to blue depending on the shot. Blue screen shots (the predecessor to later green screens) would have required the green dress or it would have been composited out.

Note from me: Ah-ha. It wasn't a wardrobe goof, it was a technical requirement.

~ Animator Ray Harryhausen was forced to create a mechanical baboon. An actual baboon would have been difficult, if not impossible, to train.

Note from me:In a previous post on this thread I said this.

Quote:
Creating a stop motion baboon seems like a waste of his talent.

What Ray does best is give life to prehistoric beast and fantasy creatures. So, going to all that trouble to create a normal baboon that doesn't do much more than act well trained is puzzling.

Just to clarify, if Ray had created a fictional creature which was the transformed young king, I'd have liked it much better — like some sort of "deformed baboon" (in a cool, monster-like way).

~ John Phillip Law was originally set to reprise the role of Sinbad, which he had played in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973). Patrick Wayne wound up playing Sinbad instead.

Note from me: This reflects what Pow shared earlier on the subject of casting Patrick Wayne.

~ Laurence Naismith was the first choice for the role of Melanthius but was unavailable due to other commitments.

Note from me: I really like Mr. Naismith as Argos in Jason and the Argonauts and Valley of Gwangi as Professor Bromley, so I'd love to have seen him in this movie as well. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ray had taken on & mentored several assistants in stop~motion animation then the time required to finish his movies would have probably significantly decreased, Bud.

However, from interviews that I have read with Ray, he preferred to work alone. He also wanted to keep his special effects methods a secret as he believed that the fun & magic is lost whenever a magician reveals how he performed his tricks.

I can sympathize with him in that regard but obviously a team of stop-motion animators would have meant finishing up those types of scenes much sooner and releasing the movie earlier.

I'm wondering if some movie studios resisted green-lighting Ray's projects (and Willis O'Brien) due to the length involved in completing the animation effects?

I love their animation and they were perfectionists, so it always looked terrific.

But the labor intensive process necessitates months in order to achieve what will be just a few minutes of stop-motion on screen.

Whereas a team of animators could cut that time a great deal.

Ray did take on animators for his later films but I believe he was forced to due to his age as well as studio pressure to wrap up the FX.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, you've brilliantly analyzed the objections to my suggestion as to why Ray never assembled a team of animators to accelerate his productions of great films.

As badly as fans like us wish that Ray had done what I described, his devotion to his work prevented that from ever happening.

Thanks for putting this into perspective for us all.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" stuff.

Ray planned to introduce his Neanderthal Man (later to become Trog) in a scene where he was trapped in a tar pit which a sabre-tooth tiger was prowling around.

Later on Neanderthal Man was to be surrounded by wolves.

This scene changed again when Trog (as he was now called and out of the tar pit) was to do battle with an Arsinoitherium which he pushes into a tar pit.

Eventually the scene that was filmed would be Trog coming upon the two beautiful and naked girls as they sunbathed by a river.

Okay, for once in my life I'm glad we got the scene with the gorgeous Jane Seymour & Taryn Power instead of a stop~motion animation battle.

A 12th-century Jewish synagogue in Toledo, Spain appeared as the Caliph's coronation chamber in the opening of the movie.

Unlike Sinbad's ship, Zenobia's metal boat had to be constructed so as to actually work in the water.

A shell was built over oil drums and outfitted with 2 motors and tugs were used as well. The budget did not allow for a full sized replica. The ''boat'' fell apart after 5 days of shooting.

Ray intended to have 4 ghouls battling Sinbad but changed it to 3 instead, again, due to budget restrictions.

Ray spent hours at the London Zoo studying the baboons and tigers in order to make the movements of his figures as realistic as possible.

Although Malta, Spain had excellent studio facilities, the production company did not utilize them for the film.

For a fraction of the cost they rented a disused R.A.F. airfield on the island of Halfar where a large hanger was used for the live-action interiors and exteriors with the actors.

The scenes in the snow were actually shot on the runway of the airfield in the middle of a brutally hot Spanish summer.

With glare of the sun reflecting off the white of the set and no shade, the temps could soar above 110.

That was tough on the crew and tougher on the actors who had to wear fur in the scenes.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marvelous thing about Ray's stop motion work was that it transcended what has been achieved by CGI because it appealed above reality. That is that there was a significant amount of "Magic...or Super realistic" shade to his work.

That is why there is no way JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS could be improved by any degree by contemporary technologies! Art is ART! There is a "remake" (on YouTube, in two parts.) that essentially tells the same story, but doesn't come close to the artistry and magnificence (the Bernard Herman score for example !).

Stop motion has a "Super reality" to it that us old dinosaur still appreciate!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
With glare of the sun reflecting off the white of the set and no shade, the temps could soar above 110.

I wonder if the actors got "artificial snow blindness". (That, of course, would be blindness from artificial snow, not artificial blindness.) Laughing
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. beautiful Taryn Power. You left us far too soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: