ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lucy (2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Lucy (2014) Reply with quote

Lucy is a young American woman living in Taiwan. Her boyfriend tricks her into delivering a valuable synthetic drug to a Korean mob boss. The drug dealers force her to submit to surgery in which the drug, inside plastic bags, is inserted into her abdominal cavity. While she is being held, Lucy angers one of her captors and is kicked in the stomach, breaking one of the bags which releases a huge quantity of the drug into her system, thus starting a chain reaction of increasing physical and mental enhancement.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vu081NOorA

I liked this movie ...
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the poster, the movie's premise seems to be based on a popular myth -- namely that we only use 10 percent (or some other small percentage) of our brain capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_the_brain_myth

But then, Luc Besson's films have always been more about style than substance. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recent movie based on opening access to the brain's full capacity, released in 2011, was Limitless. We didn't have a thread for it, so I just started one.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlett Johansson might as well use 100% of her brain, because she's certainly using 100% of everything else! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that we use only 10% of our brain comes from Victorian medicine. Their medical practitioners couldn't figure out what most of the brain does. The entire brain is used for many different functions; e.g.: the entire back of the brain is for 'mapping' out the visual processes. There are also many glands as part of the brain; they create the whole gamut of emotion. It's a fascinating subject. Look it up on Wikipedia!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then, of course, there's a few extra glands Scarlet has that are still a mystery to mankind. That's why we stare at them in awe and wonder.

"Aaaaaaaw . . . I wonder if those are real!"

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really disappointed in not liking this movie better than Limitless. I would much prefer Scarlett Johansson than Bradley Cooper have power over me.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, she's got power over ALL of us, Wayne. A fierce power that bends a man's mind and twists his nerves.

Watch this . . . if you dare! Shocked

____________________ Lucy Official Trailer #1

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 26 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The script took nine years to make.

Note from me: Remarkable. IMDB lists the screenwriter as Luc Besson. I wonder if he collaborated with anyone.

~ In an interview on March 8, 2014, (evening news on France 2), Luc Besson said that this project took ten years to become a reality. Also, he admitted that he knew that some scientific assumptions were erroneous, e.g. that humans use only ten percent of their brains. Nonetheless, he said that "(such an assumption) would be a great start for a sci-fi movie".

Note from me: I heard that "10 per cent" myth all the way back in high school. I wonder who started it.

~ The idea that humans only use 10% of their brains is a widely-circulated myth that has been debunked by neurological science many times over. (Humans typically use about 10% of their brains at a time.)

Note from me: Ah-ha, so it's not completely bogus, it's just an incomplete expression of the concept.

~ In the trailer, a close up of Lucy's eye briefly shows a reptilian eye.

Note from me: By gum, it sure does!

~ When Lucy is chained and locked up in the room by the Korean drug cartel, she is hit in the stomach by the Korean guy. Drugs start leaking into her stomach and her body, and she starts shaking and going up the wall and ceiling. When she is leaning against the wall and crawling up it, the way the gravity affects the chains and her hair shows that she is actually lying on the floor.

Note from me: Hmmm . . . not necessarily. If Lucy's mind is warping gravity and causing the wall to be "down", the warped gravity would affect her hair and the chains as well.

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Divisive Chemistry Persuasions! Reply with quote

Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge.

Lucy is one of those films that brings about furious reactions, it is after all a science fiction type action thriller. They always divide film fans right from the off. It's a film that to all intents and purposes needs to be viewed just as a cinematic experience, as a piece of popcorn fodder that may try to be something more cerebral, but ultimately is a daft - but hugely fun - piece of film.

Luc Besson writes and directs a film that sees Scarlett Johansson duped into being a drug mule, with the transportation of drugs sewn into her abdomen. It's a new drug, boy is it a new drug, and when things go belly up and the drugs are unleashed into Scarlett's system, she's a threat - or hope - to mankind.

It can be, and has been, called pretentious et al, such is the science factor, which is perfectly understandable, so any hope of tight science fiction musings will only end up in a crushing disappointment. Undeniably Besson and his backers thought they had something to say, to open up the film watchers' minds to something deep and probable, to be relevant and viable. But unlike the makers we the viewers didn't have access to donepezil, so we sadly couldn't all turn into Bradley Cooper and be limitless in our viewing capabilities.

Personally, it's a rollicking fun film for two thirds, when it's about Scarlett kicking butt, a revenge driven babe, it grips and shakes all the genre compliant cinematic senses. The ending, the grand finale, infuriated me, and by the looks of Morgan Freeman (coasting for easy money), he was also a little frustrated. But I had fun, yet on the flip side if anyone fronted me up and said they hated the film with a passion? Then I would understand and take them home to play with my chemistry set. 7/10

Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Lucy better than Limitless. It was well researched into evolution and evolving intelligence. There is supposed to be a sequel. But, time will tell if it ever gets made.
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Cervello wrote:
I liked Lucy better than Limitless.

Yep, me also!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: