ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Check This Out1 Reply with quote

The Krell are definitely NOT as smart as Dr. Morbius thought!

https://medium.com/@peternorvig/last-tweets-of-the-krell-82b8cb74c320

Any comments?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!

It shows that even the Krell failed to do enough Beta testing!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is really clever, Eadie. Thanks.

By the way, I noticed that the author, Peter Norvig, borrowed my "enhanced" version of the Krell machine jpeg! He must have gotten it from All Sci-Fi.

How do I know?

Because I painted over the visible dividing line between the portion of the walkway around the giant "street lamp" on the right and the long walkway that goes off into the distance.

Here's how that part of the matte shot looks in the movie.

Notice how the matte line is very visible between the "real" walkway on the left (actually a parking lot the actors walked across) and the matte painting of the "bridge" leading over to the circular walkway on the right.

This is my own enhanced version. Notice how I tried to make the color difference between the left and right sections of the walkway less extreme, and I used MS Paint to place dabs of light brown into the darker area to make the matte line less obvious.

You can see my enhanced version on page 38 of this thread (in a post dated May 22, 2016), as well as in the Cinefantastique article on page 56, because I replaced the poor image in the actual magazine with my improved version.

This is the jpeg Mr. Norvig used in his article, which he wrote in 2017. The small dabs of light brown to disguise the matte line are identical! Laughing

Since Peter Norvig liked my enhanced version of the screen grab and used it in his article, that must mean he's been reading our Forbidden Planet thread! I suspect that our discussion here was, in part, the inspiration for his article.

I added a reply to his article which invited him to join us, but he might already have done so back when he borrowed the jpeg.
Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this nice bit of fan art by an artist who goes by the name Pyrosity on some sites, but this piece is signed "Petuko". This seems to be his only Forbidden Planet piece.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of the FP blueprints (From the Bonham auction) that show areas not shown in the Cinefantasique specials. I've cleaned them up a little.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of work, skill, and imagination that went into the making of this movie is truly amazing. Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A re-visit to the FORBIDDEN PLANET reboot.
Proposal artwork.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarthyism and the Id: Forbidden Planet as a Veiled Criticism of McCarthyism in 1950s America

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/gc_etds/1358/

I was alerted to this paper by my math teacher. It is more-than-a-bit beyond me.

Also a very wrong statement at the end of this article:

https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/F/Forbidden_Planet.html

When Forbidden Planet was first released theatre goers were given special paper glasses with red lenses. The glasses were to be used during certain scenes involving the invisible monster. Theater-goers were alerted that it was time to put on the special glasses by flashes on the screen. When the special glasses were put on the invisible monster was revealed.

I wonder where the author got this idea?

Another chat board:

https://www.filmboards.com/board/p/3264351/

A flyer for a technical exhibit in Rotterdam, Netherlands:

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
When Forbidden Planet was first released theatre goers were given special paper glasses with red lenses. The glasses were to be used during certain scenes involving the invisible monster. Theater-goers were alerted that it was time to put on the special glasses by flashes on the screen. When the special glasses were put on the invisible monster was revealed.

I wonder wher the author got this idea?

Of course that was William Castle's 13 GHOSTS, not Forbidden Planet!

Just shows how some semi-knowledgable "expert" really doesn't know poop!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Sometimes my mind wanders off a movie when something in the movie catches my eye. (It took me a while to find a picture of what I'm about to ask.)

What is this curved thing:

I wondered if I could get a slightly better shot of the equipment rack we see in the shot shown above that Eadie posted.

I really didn't manage to improve on Eadie's picture very much, but my brightened version does give us a slightly better view of that "curved thing" she asked about, which Krel identified as "the seal for the core pedestal base".

Anyway, the presence of the equipment rack does serve to illustrate just how much trouble the film crew took to populate the set with hi-tech stuff to convince us this was a fully equipped starship on an alien planet.

And yet we only see this equipment rack once (I think), and it didn't catch our attention until fairly recently. It makes me wonder just how many other props were there that we've yet to catch sight of.
Very Happy
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been addressed, but the "curved thing" is the back of the stairway (gangplank?). When retracted, it becomes part of the hull.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed, but the "curved thing" is the back of the stairway (gangplank?). When retracted, it becomes part of the hull.

Ironically it HAS been addressed . . . by you! Laughing

Eadie was referring to the section of the silver ring at the top of a few images she posted back on page 6 of this thread. Here's the cropped version of one image she posted to focus on the "curved thing".

In my post above I stated in that you had explained what it was.

Krel wrote:
It is the seal for the core pedestal base. It is angled, because the top edge of the core pedestal base it angled.

David.

I mentioned in my post above that my new picture of the equipment rack on the ground showed the ring a bit better because I'd brightened the image.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER weird thought— In the tour of the Krell lab Fr. Morbius says of the plastic educator that he often plays with it himself for relaxation.

Just how do you play with a 'brain boosting' device?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He plays 3D video games? Krell style?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
I found this neat painting of a Robby variation.

That's a great painting, Eadie!

I noticed that the saucers in the background look, in some ways, more like the Area 51 model shown below than the C-57-D.

Eadie wrote:
Mystery # 3: Poor shutter placement. The closed shutters in the movie.

The set.

Are there even shutters here?

I don't quite understand your question about the shutters. The picture shows the three characters just before Morbius activated the shutters.

So . . . what am I missing? Very Happy

However, you pointed out the interesting fact below more than once (I think) on this thread.

Eadie wrote:
It seems that the stairs to the upper floor are OUTSIDE the shutters. So, when Dr. Morbius activated them where was Alta? What happens if they were in a real situation when they had to use the shutters and either Dr. Morbius or Alta was outside?

This is one of your best observations about FP! Cool

Back in January 2016 your comment prompted me to spend hours considering the placement of the shutters to address the fact that if they did continued all the away around the living room, they would indeed cut off the stairs to the second floor!

My final posts about this question is on page 32 of this thread.

What I came up with is shown below, showing the shutters in sections which are both connected in the middle by the rock face where the stairs are, thus protecting the downstairs from the ID monster.

. . . Unless, of course, it crashes through a bedroom window and comes down the stairs. Shocked

But today I noticed that your picture of the set shows something I'd never realized before. The front door of the house is NOT covered by a straight section of shutters — it actually curves around a portion of the "core" where the small round pool is located.

I think this means the shutters ALSO curve around the core on the pool-side of the living room.

So, I amended my diagram again to include this new element.

What do you think, Eadie?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 96 of 143

Jump to: