ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SpaceCamp (1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: SpaceCamp (1986) Reply with quote

____

SpaceCamp refers to a science camp for teens that had been set up 4 years prior to the start of this film (based on a real camp in Alabama).

The camp focuses on NASA space technology and runs during the summers. Obviously, this description means it's more of an educational camp than the standard summer camps where kids run around on the grass and play.

Supposedly, these are all kids who are brighter than the norm.

Kate Capshaw stars as an actual astronaut, though she had just been passed up for a space mission and is kind of stuck instructing at this camp with her husband, played by Tom Skerritt.

_________________Space Camp (1986) part 1

This film is geared towards the younger viewer — I think obviously — since many adult viewers would not find it very interesting to watch a bunch of teens and their escapades.

The main group of kids are kind of a standard complement: the smart-ass (Tate Donovan), the eager-beaver smarty (Lea Thompson), the pretty flake (Kelly Preston), and the African American goofball (Larry Scott). There's also a younger member who belongs in the junior camp, but Capshaw allows him to stay for some reason, unless he messes up. He's played by a very young Joaquin Phoenix, then credited as Leaf Phoenix.

And a small robot, looking like a ball with legs on wheels.

_________________Space Camp (1986) part 2

It's this small robot which veers the film into all-out sci-fi escapism — the robot is apparently possessed of a rudimentary AI and is given free reign to move about the camp and do whatever it wants.

It facilitates the actual launch of a space shuttle, with Capshaw and all the kids on-board, so that the robot's young friend can realize his dream of going into orbit. Though it sounds exciting, this launch was not planned, so the shuttle's occupants suddenly find themselves dealing with a life-or-death situation in orbit, something they weren't prepared for.

_________________Space Camp (1986) part 3

This ends up like a juvenile version of the more serious 'crisis-in-orbit' film Marooned (1969).

Since this is geared towards a young crowd, it's a safe bet that everyone will come through all right (unlike the older film), but the story also makes sure that the youngsters are mostly sympathetic characters, so we care and get a bit concerned as they face the various life threatening problems, such as running out of air. There's some tension in the final act as we wonder how they will make it down.

_________________Space Camp (1986) part 4

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be damn. An optimistic "feel good" move that Mr. Andrew Bogdan actually liked! He gave it 7 out of 10! Shocked

Sure, I like this movie — even though I think it's packed with enough corn for a shipment out of Kansas for the Jolly Green Giant's factory — but frankly I was stunned when BoG had nothing but praise for it!

This was the guy who said E.T. was dull and mediocre, and thumbed his nose at several other upbeat sci-fi movies.

I just can't figure out old Andrew. He's a real mystery! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of this movie is the manner in which we see a group of young people who start out demonstrating very little maturity — and end up forming a team which successfully takes command of a space shuttle and (against all odds) manages to land it safely.

Okay, sure, the whole idea is ridiculous . . . but it's so optimistic and positive that those of us who love this kind of movie can't help enjoying it!

However, if you're NOT that kind of person, naturally you don't like it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_______ Space Camp (1986) ORIGINAL TRAILER

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ What was supposed to be a somewhat light hearted action/adventure movie turned into a marketing nightmare. SpaceCamp was scheduled to be released in early 1986 but on 28 January the real-life shuttle Challenger exploded 74 seconds after liftoff, claiming the lives of seven American astronauts.

After the Challenger disaster, the release was pushed back months. When it was finally sent to theaters, it grossed less than $10 million in the U.S. Like the Challenger accident, the malfunction in the film involved a solid rocket booster.

Note from me: A very old friend of mine absolutely hated this movie because he felt it was in extremely bad taste coming out after the Challenger disaster.

~ The movie was partially filmed at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama home to the first and last remaining Space Camp program.

Note from me: In 1996 I was the teacher in charge of the 5th grade field trip at Lake City Elementary in Atlanta, GA. I arranged for the students to spend a day at Space Camp, complete with tour buses to take us from Atlanta to Huntsville and back. We had a ball!

~ The space shuttle set was put on top of a gimbal in order to effectively simulate weightlessness in space.

Note from me: I suppose putting it on a gimbal allowed the film crew to rotate it so that "up" would be in different directions, thus allowing the actors to be suspended from wires in different ways.

~ In earlier drafts of the storyline, a Russian shuttle is sent up to rescue the American kids. At the end of the film, it was to be revealed that Russian kids had rescued the American kids.

Note from me: As lighthearted (and deliberately unrealistic) as this movie is, I can still enjoy the story. But the idea of a Russian shuttle also crewed by kids would be WAY too much . . . Rolling Eyes

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely NOT "hard sci-fi "......BUT....Just a good old lean back and just enjoy the fun !

I really enjoyed this film too!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Marooned (1969) a Soviet space crew helps in the rescue of the American crew by supplying critically needed air. It worked well in that movie because it is a U.S. shuttle that rescues the U.S. astronauts & brings 'em back home.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confess....If you had the opportunity to go to Spacecamp as a kid wouldn't you have gone???

I know I would have!

In a heartbeat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: