ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Without End (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a nice site devoted to Rod Taylor with a short but interesting article (with great pictures) about this film. Click on their banner to see the article. At the bottom of the article is a link to the main page for The Complete Rod Taylor Site, which includes info about Rod's career in TV series, movies, and radio, plus a gallery of photos and nine different biographies about Rod!

The article includes an excerpt from the July 1986 interview with Mr. Taylor in Starlog Magazine. Fortunately that entire article is available on Archive.org, although the clarity of the scans isn't quite as good as we'd like. Sad

I sharpened the jpegs I made from the site as much as I could and then posted them below. If you zoom in on them close enough they'll look like this enlarged section, and they're certainly readable.

The article contains some interesting items about Rod, such as the fact that he trained to become an artist, attending the Sydney Technical and Fine Arts College, "where he won several awards as a technical engineer".

While painting backdrops for department store windows, he listened to Australian radio soap operas and decided he could act a lot better than what he was hearing on the programs! Very Happy

He auditioned for one of the soap operas, got the job, and he eventually gave up painting!

One of his earliest film roles in Australia was his portrayal of Israel Hands, and 85-year-old man in the 1954 production of Long John Silver (the other movie in which Robert Newton played the famous pirate he made famous in Disney's Treasure Island (1950).

The films was distributed by Warner Bros, and they contacted the producers about asking the "old man" who played Israel Hands to come to Hollywood! That's how convincing Rod was in the role! But when studio representatives from Warner Bros met Rad at the airport they stunned to discover he was handsome 25-year-old!

He landed decent roles in several movies in 1955, and in 1956 Rod acquired his first significant support role in World Without End!

There's more juicy stuff in the Starlog artical, so I hope guys will read it.

Click on each image to get the large, sharp, fully "Brewsterized" version! Very Happy

]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: Does this movie's premise seem to suggest ideas for a sequel? Confused

Oh boy, THIS one is just itchin' for a sequel!? Shocked

At the end of the movie we see our heroes assisting the Future Folks (both normals and mutants) begin a new life on the surface, working together to make the first of a series of structures, while one of the astronauts — Christopher Dark as Hank Jaffe — becomes a teacher for the children of the Future Folks, a very personal project to help him deal with the loss of the family he left behind in the past.

One sexy aspect of this story is the way the movie clearly states that the women are all gorgeous and eager for some good lovin’, while the male population are whimpy little guys who don’t contribute much to the gene pool.

Our studly astronauts are therefore duty bound to improve the race by shagging ever gal in sight and adding some he-men to the population. (Hell, it’s a thankless job, but somebody's gotta do it!) Wink

And, of course, the cavemen-like normal folks who were enslave by the mean old mutants will now be living in a high-tech social system where they can enjoy nice clothes, plenty of food, and good medical facilities — which means the cavegirls might clean up real nice and receive some beauty tips, along with a thorough make-over from those drop-dead gorgeous ladies we see in the movie.

My point is that the hot scenes in World Without End with Hugh Marlow and Nancy Gates, not to mention Rod Taylor and Shawn Smith, will get even hotter in the sequel!

Story-wise we’ve got a wealth of characters for our sequel, as well as dramatic possibilities that make this concept a playground for writers! The lusty caveboys and cavegirls will tend to intimidate the timid Future Folks (both the men and even the women to some degree), so we can have lots of interesting conflicts in this new expanded social system.

But what will the gist of the story be?

In the movie we hear Hugh Marlow ask the Future Folks to help them repair their rocket so they can cruise around the Earth and find other pockets of civilization. If that happens in the sequel, Hank the school teacher might decide to stay home and reinvent teacher "tenure" while he keeps his wives happy and busy raising his new kids.

The older fellow, Dr. Eldon Galbraithe, might be busy with scientific research and a few lady friends of his own (in one scene he expressed great appreciation for the female attention he was getting).

So that would leave Hugh and Rod to go off on an adventurous rocket ride.

They could invite along a former caveman and cavewoman who want travel and see the world, and these hearty folks (recently rescued from a savage life) would be well equipped to help deal with other tribes of mutants-and-enslaved-normal-folks which the explorers encounter.

These two former cavepeople would dress in a curious blend of old and new garments to remind use of their “roots”. Their grasp of English would be colorfully primitive, despite the fact that they’re both very intelligent.

What these adventurers might find out there in the world could be anything from the remnants of a 20th century city with thousands of desperate survivors barely clinging to existence amid the rubble, to a futuristic city that floats above a savage land of mutated animals (monsters) and savage cavemen!

]

Wow, with possibilities like these to choose from I could happily write two or three sequels for World Without End! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has everything — if one considers the classic pulp sci-fi of spaceships & spacemen the epitome of everything science fiction.

It begins with a 4-man crew (including Hugh Marlowe and Rod Taylor in one of his first roles) in one of those classic rocketships, wrapping up a trip to orbit Mars, and then becomes a time travel tale into Earth's far future — year 2508.

Then there is a giant killer spider, caveman mutates, and a hidden underground civilization populated by wimpy men and gorgeous gals in cocktail waitress dresses!

What more could one ask for? Cool

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Oh boy, is THIS one just itchin' for a sequel or what!? Shocked

Wow, with possibilities like these to choose from I could happily write two or three sequels for World Without End!
Cool

I'm disappointed that my pitch for a sequel to World Without End didn't inspire a single reply! I'm know I'm not the only one at All Sci-Fi who enjoys discussing story ideas — in fact, I could name several members who are quite good at it. Very Happy

Come on guys! Give the idea some serious thought and then share what you've come up with! We're sci-fi fans, dang it! It's what we're best at! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT work Bud!

The article is very informative and well written. The fact that Hitchkock featured him in TWO films (THE BIRDS and MARNIE) and the fact that he did them so well proves his talent as an actor.

Your idea for a sequel is interesting. How about TO WIN A NEW WORLD as a working title?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Your idea for a sequel is interesting. How about TO WIN A NEW WORLD as a working title?

That is brilliant! I love the way the two titles sound together.

World Without End

To Win a New World

Damn, it's plumb poetic! Cool

And your title started me thinking about some of the things I included in my sequel, such as my suggestion that Hank and Dr. Galbraithe not be included in the exploratory mission.

Dumb idea, Bud! Confused

Why would I write out two the four characters? That's not what the audience wants in a sequel to this movie! All four should go, plus the two people who were rescued from the mutants.

Also, the idea of repairing the rocket and using it to cruise around in search of other pockets of civilization is not very practical. It would be better to salvage the metal from the rocket and use it to build one or more hi-tech aircraft for the explorers to use in their quest.

Since we never saw any real examples of what the future society could do, technology wise, we can allow them to be as advanced as we want. Now that they have been "liberated" (given courage and hope) by the four guys from the past, they would be capable of using what knowledge they have to restore a futuristic aircraft like this one, which was built before the war.

Perhaps the future folks have collected a vast store of data from various sources that survived the war (there actually is some dialog in the movie referring to this), and this data includes the location of a Boeing plant where an advance aircraft was being built for NASA. An expedition to the location discovers that the plant survived the war, and the aircraft can be refurbished to reverse damage done by the years it's spent inside the building.

Gord, I realize I'm assuming the future people are a lot more technologically advanced than we're lead to believe in World Without End, but the only reason we didn't see any obvious hi-tech stuff in the movie is because the budget was so low! Sad

After all, the guys from the past did say something about how the shops and labs they saw were impressive. I'm just allowing the technology they had to be as advanced as we need for this story to work.

Besides, perhaps the society we saw in the movie discovered another society a few hundred miles away, and they too were living in seclusion. But once they were "liberated" the way the society in this movie was, they joined forced with the people in the movie, and they combined resources.

Here's another thought!

That "other society" has been living in the Boeing hanger — a "city" within the huge Boeing complex — and they've been restoring several aircraft inside the giant hanger!

Just to give you an idea of the size of the "city of survivors", here's the Boeing factory.

What do you think?
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Since we never saw any real examples of what the future society could do, technology wise, we can allow them to be as advanced as we want. Now that they have been "liberated" (given courage and hope) by the four guys from the past, they would be capable of using what knowledge they have to restore a futuristic aircraft like this one, which was built before the war.

But we DID see at least one example of their technology, which was apparently poor: You will recall that their steel was not strong enough to even built a simple revolver. That is the stated reason for their use of a bazooka instead, which generates a very low chamber pressure and would therefore survive being fired.

They haven't the ability to refine metals. The best they can do is recycle existing metals that they scavenge from the outside world. Considering the poor state of their metals technology, it would not seem likely that they would be able to manufacture a working airplane. And even if they managed to build an aircraft from recycled materials, or found an old Boeing plane, how would they operate it without a source of fuel, oil, or electricity?

Last edited by alltare on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thinking, alltare! Very Happy

Your analysis of the problem makes it plain that serious revisions are needed. Obviously the story needs to place the technological innovations in the hands of that second society the heroes discover. What if we tried this version?

The advanced VTOL aircraft I pictured above appears in the sky one day above the underground complex we see in World Without End, and it lands near the area where the new above-ground structures are under construction. The people of the second society are scouting for additional survivors, and a fly-over recently spotted all the construction going on.

The newcomer's city inside the Boeing factor has retained a significant amount of the technology that existed before the war, and they've even made advancements in the last few hundred years since then. After all, a giant facility like the Boeing factory would have quite a lot of resources a skilled group of people could use to rebuild a civilization.

The people from the more advanced society are amazed and delighted to meet the men from the past, and naturally they agree with the plan to start uniting other surviving pockets of civilization.

And thus we're able to quickly move the story from the less-advanced society we see in the original movie to this new and more highly advanced one in Boeing City. (I might as well call it that. It gives me a chance to practice spelling "Boeing" right. Laughing)

Naturally we've got to figure out how the inhabitants of Boeing City managed to survive the period of high radiation on the surface until it dropped down to the safe levels it had by the time the story in the movie took place.

So, where do we go from here? Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the crashed ship's radio equipment could be used to search for transmissions from other groups of survivors who had managed to hang on to such technologies. Also, if they were able to get to an ocean, they might be able to find or make boats that would allow them to search for seaside groups of survivors.

On another subject, the leader of the underground people states at different times that:

1) they have created artificial light that is "exactly like sunlight in every way", and

2) the lack of real sunlight is one of the causes of their withering population.

They obviously believe that both of these statements are true, but there seems to be a flaw in their logic.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocket could be used to do an orbital survey, like they did with Mars. Look for intact structures, lights on the night side.

I don't know if they existed back then, but ultralight aircraft are easy to build, and would be good for local surveys.

Just because the city people had poor metal working skills doesn't mean that they couldn't do better. If it is a skill they didn't need, they would need to develop it. The Astronauts were just too impatient for them work the problem out. The Astronauts did seem impressed by other technologies the city people possessed.

Bud, for your story, and even for the film, it is likely that the people who built the underground city intended for the people to at some point to re inhabit the surface. I would image that the founders made provisions for that, and somewhere nearby, or even behind a forgotten door, there is a large bunker with all the needed supplies. Construction equipment, tools, construction materials, outdoor gear, weapons, vehicles and such. The people in the city just forgot about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

I wonder if this movie was an inspiration for the Fall-Out games.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could envision this "New World" as a world having many and various "pockets" of surviving inhabitants. Like the colonies in THE STARLOST each one remained seperate and evolved different cultures with various levels of development, some primitive and some advanced....some with mutants, some with "throwback" ideas and religions like ancient Azteks or Egyptian etc.

The plot could revolve around finding these pockets of humanity and bringing them into establishing a "New World" for everyone's benefit. There could be many sequels required to achieve this goal while using the original characters as well as introducing new ones.

What a great epic!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn, you guys are on fire! I could not be more impressed! Very Happy

I didn't want to make you all wait until I'd spent a few hours composing a suitable reply for all those magnificent ideas, so I'll just post this sincere Atta Boy for everybody, and I'll get to work addressing that banquet of great concepts!

Meanwhile, keep the ball rolling. Gord is right when he said —

"There could be many sequels required to achieve this goal while using the original characters as well as introducing new ones." Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I received my Blu-ray of this enjoyable movie!

That's the good news. Very Happy

The bad news is . . . I have a terrible cold. My temperature has been been as high as 102.7°. Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the above post.

Two days after I said I had a cold and a fever (back on January 18th) I checked into the hospital because I was told by the medical professional at a Minute Clinic that I had enough congestion to have both the flu and pneumonia!

Based on this, I checked into the hospital on January 20th, and they took four blood sample before finally concluding that I didn't have pneumonia . . . but I probably had the flu.

That "probably" seemed a bit odd to me . . . until recently when CNN reported that coronavirus cases had been in the U.S. since December 2019. Confused

When I heard that, I called my doctor to request that she get my hospital records from the January 20th visit and determine if perhaps I'd actually had Covid-19.

The verdict was inconclusive . . . but I was told it was indeed possible.

Wow. I might have had it . . . but I did not die from it . . . and I didn't even know it! Shocked

Concerning World Without End, if I had to live in a post apocalyptic world, this one would be my first choice! Very Happy

It's a future hi-tech society, populated by old men and beautiful women. the latter of whom think 20th century guys are stud muffins! Very Happy

Frankly I think Nancy Gates and I make a lovely couple! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I too had a bad flu upper respitory congestion, coughing etc. at the same time as you. I don't know if it was covid 19 or not either. Actually I hope it was because I recovered from it and would have antibodies in my system.

Meanwhile , as I've PMd to you , my wife is a nurse in a nursing home that is rampant with covid patients. She's sending patients to hospitals and morgues every day.

Tough thing for her is that the crew of nurses and aides is lessening too. She often finds herself as the ONLY person to care for over 30 patients. The care workers either are getting sick or they're not reporting to work. They are going to give the workers testing and if they're positive they have to stay home...further reducing the care for the patients.

Needless to say this is a scary time!

A zombie apocalypse would be easier to handle....You just have to shoot those suckers and cut their heads off while trying not to get bitten! LOL!

And....YES! You look like a perfect couple! A classic example of "The Beauty And The Beast".

Let's watch this movie again in the Chatzy room soon!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: