ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some interesting trivia items for this movie on IMDB and thought I'd add them here, since we're watching this tonight for All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat.

* The realistic newspaper footage was shot in the Fleet Street offices of Express Newspapers and gives a vivid picture of the "old" London Fleet Street industry (most British newspapers have now moved out of this area, which was famous as a press centre). "Express" editor Arthur Christiansen plays himself in the film.

* Towards the end, Stenning is driving to Genie's apartment when he stops to talk to a policeman - none other than Michael Caine in a very early role.

* In an early scene Jeannie is struggling with a Roneo stencil duplicator, saying it is "over-inking". The Roneo company threatened to sue the producers for the potential damage to the reputation of their products.

* Editor James Needs used stock footage from Hammer's The Quatermass Xperiment (1955), also directed by Val Guest of a fire truck racing through the night past the patrol station in Bray.

* At about 45:20 into the movie the actress portraying Jeannie Craig (Janet Munro) steps from the shower and wraps herself in a towel. The image in the mirror at the right of the screen reflects her nude breasts.

* In the early 1990s Val Guest was attached to a mooted remake, to be set in New York, though the plans fell ultimately through.

* The film received an "X" certificate from the British Board of Film Censors upon release in 1961, barring anyone under 16 from seeing it.

These next three items are from the Wikipedia article.

* Monty Norman, who was credited with writing "Beatnik Music" in a couple of scenes, would become well known one year later when his "James Bond theme" was used in the title sequence of Dr. No.

* In his commentary track for the 2001 Anchor Bay DVD release, director Val Guest stated that the sound of church bells heard at the very end of the American version had been added by distributor Universal, in order to suggest that the emergency detonation had succeeded and that the Earth had been saved.

* Guest speculated that the bells motif had been inspired by the 1953 film The War of the Worlds, which ends with the joyous ringing of church bells after the emergency (and a nuclear explosion). But Guest maintained that his intention was to always have an ambiguous ending.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the chat for The Day the Earth Caught Fire Friday Night Chat (which was great) I watched the extras on the DVD. Imagine my surprise when I found two posed photos of Janet Munro topless (but artistic) on the set for The Day the Earth Caught Fire.

I had read that Janet Munro had cheesecake photos taken on the set, but I thought it was a myth.

I am not going to post them ........But here are two yummy photos of Janet Munro.

[

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
... I am not going to post them ...

Good thing too. Eadie will be 15 on August 17th. She's been lurking for the past 2 years.

And she's moving back here for the summer.

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I like her posts Razz
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past! Shocked

Back on Jun 21, 2016, Butch informed us that young Miss Eadie was only 15, and we shouldn't subject this young lady to nude photos of Janet Monr! Shocked

My how times have changed . . . Confused

However, Eadie is now 19 and voting age, a legal adult who's no longer in need of protection from photo's of female actresses who pose without clothing.

And yet, my own grandchildren (who are still younger than Eadie's age back in 1916) visit All Sci-Fi, and I still want to protect them for the next few years.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out how times have changed . . . . even for the folks here at All Sci-Fi.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if there was any credibility to the strange premise of this movie. Could two super-large, simultaneous nuclear explosion shift the Earth in it's orbit?

I expected to find that the idea was preposterous . . . and I was right.

But just to show how abysmally ignorant some of our politicians are, the text below is the opening paragraph of an article in the June 20th, 2020 issue of Scientific American with the somewhat sarcastic title, A Modest Proposal: Let’s Change Earth’s Orbit, by By Maddie Bender.

During a congressional hearing last week, Republican Representative Louie Gohmert of Texas asked a U.S. Forest Service official if her organization or the Bureau of Land Management could change the orbit of the moon or Earth to reverse the effects of human-caused climate change.

Maddie Bender's article, and all the others I found on this subject, politely explained that, in effect, moving the Earth (without tearing the poor fragile think apart) had about as much chance of succeeding as crossing the Grand Canyon by taking a running jump and flapping your arms real hard. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps a better analogy in relation to this movies would be to say that chanaging the Earth's orbit with large atomic bombs would be like trying to roll a twenty-foot-high snowball along the ground by shooting it with a 12-guage shot gun.

People tend to think the Earth is like a big billiard ball — hard as nails, solid as a rock, easily moved if we had a big enough rocket engine.

Not true. The Earth has less in common with a billiard ball than it does with a dandelion puff.

Consider this.

The average thickness of the Earth's crust — when you factor in the thick parts where the mountain ranges are located and the thin parts at the bottom of the deep ocean — is just twelve itey bitey miles thick.

Consider this in relation to the Earth's diameter, which is just shy of 8,000 miles. The crust is, therefore, only 1/333 of the Earth's width. The rest is magma, except for the inner and outer cores (both made of iron and nickel), which together are 758 miles in diameter.

Does that sound sturdy enough to survive the stress of giant atom bombs . . . or even giant rocket engines? Well, lets conduct a cool "thought experiment". Cool

Picture a weird chicken egg which is spherical in shape (laid by a weird chicken).

The egg is about normal size, but the yoke is smaller than normal (about the size of a marble or a ball bearing — and just as hard).

Put this weird egg near one edge of the kitchen table and hit it just once on the side with a hammer . . . but hard enough to send the egg rolling all the way across to the table's opposite edge!

What'll you get? Probably a mess . . . Sad

If you just pushed it gently, the shell is hard enough not to break while it rolls — but that sharp blow with the hammer cracks the egg and spills the egg white all over the table.

Unfortunately, using a gigantic rocket engine to move the Earth wouldn't work any better than exploding a big-ass atomic bomb, because the force of a huge rocket would be like a powerful blow — filmed in slow motion. The thin chicken eggshell/Earth's crust would collapse inward from the force, and the magma would spill all over that kitchen table we call the Solar System. Shocked

So, as well-made as The Day the Earth Caught Fire may be, the premise makes just as little sense as the Hollow Earth Theory — and for pretty much the same reasons! Rolling Eyes

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet Munro (September 28, 1934~December 6, 1972) was a lovely and enchanting actress that left this world far too soon at the young age of 38.

Tragically due to alcoholism.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excerpt from Janet's Wikipedia article.

Val Guest, who directed Munro in The Day the Earth Caught Fire, later said "Janet's life was a disaster... [she] didn't become an alcoholic until she met Ian. She tried too hard to keep up with him."

In March 1966 she had a miscarriage.

Munro and Hendry were divorced in December 1971. Hendry offered no contest to the charge that the marriage had broken down due to Hendry's "unreasonable behaviour".

Munro died aged 38 on 6 December 1972 on her way to the hospital after collapsing at her home in Tufnell Park] Her death was ruled due to a heart attack caused by chronic ischaemic heart disease. She was cremated and interred at the Golders Green Crematorium

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heartbreaking.

Janet was both a talented actress and a very attractive woman who should have been with us much longer and made many more films and television appearances.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, Mike. We fell in love with her in Darby O'Gill and the Little People, then we drooled over her lovely, sweaty, feminine charms in The Day the Earth Caught Fire.

The excerpt from Wikipedia suggests that her love for her alcoholic husband, Ian Hendry, caused her to develop habits that brought about her death.

The moral of the story seems to be, "Marriage and drinking don't mix."

Thank good I'm divorced. Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently I watched this movie with the Chat Crew, and we debated the merit of the premise.

Could two super-bombs which were exploded at the same time at the opposite poles cause the weather catastrophes we see in the movie?

The difference in opinions between me and another member steamed from the fact that the characters in the movie have discussions about the tilt of the Earth, but they also make references to the Earth's orbit being changed

Wikipedia's summary of the plot says this.

It becomes apparent that Earth's nutation has been altered by 11 degrees, affecting the climatic zones and changing the pole and the equator. The increasing heat has caused water to evaporate and mists to cover Britain, and a solar eclipse occurs days ahead of schedule. Later, the characters realize that the orbit of the Earth has been disrupted and the planet is spiraling in towards the Sun.

The puzzling thing is that all the climatic changes we see in the movie would be caused by the change in the Earth's tilt — so the claim that the Earth was also headed towards the sun is completely unnecessary, not to mention being far less likely than a change in the tilt.

The Earth's tilt has change before, so that aspect of the plot is not completely impossible. In fact, an article called Earth's Axis Has Shifted Due to Melting Ice in Last 25 Years says this.

A study published last month found that Earth's axis started shifting so drastically in 1995 that the direction of that polar drift changed and sped up considerably. The culprit behind that shift, the researchers found, is melting glaciers.

It's a shame that the screenwriter felt the need to embellish the plot in a manner that robbed it of its credibility. Sad

The member I was debating with in the chat stated that the film's premise was complete nonsense, and now I'm forced to agree. I was hoping that the references to the orbit being changed were just incorrect reference some of the characters were making to the change in title.

Oh well, can't win 'em all . . . Rolling Eyes

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Also, when it's believed at first that the nuclear tests only shifted the tilt of the earth's axis, someone says there'll be new poles and a new equator. That's rubbish! If the axial tilt increased, seasonal changes would become more extreme, but the poles and the equator would still be in the same places -- unless the earth's entire crust slid around the mantle like a loose orange peel!

Hey, that's a great point, Scot!

If the tilt was increased drastically enough, the Earth's poles would no longer have ice caps year round, because the ice would only form when one of the poles was tilted away from the sun. Shocked

The other pole would spend several months each year with the sun never setting — but much higher in the sky than the North and South Poles do now during their summer months, thus drastically melting any ice which formed during the polar night.

The equator would experience extremes in temperature as well. Twice a year the sun would pass directly overhead each day for a few months, and twice a year the sun would remain above the horizon, never setting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: