ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gigantic Lava Tube Could Be Home for Moon Colonists
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
A giant mirror-or-prism at the top of the opening could focus sunlight downward, just like in the movie. At the bottom of the shaft would be a large layer of prisms to refract the light outward and illuminate the cavern below.

Science Fiction Theatre's episode "Sun Gold" did something very similar to that.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Have they said how wide that entrance to the cavern is? It looks pretty wide to me, and covering that might be an engineering feat in itself.

If that entrance was made by a collapse, then you are going to have a miniature mountain on the cavern floor below it. If you have ever been to the Marvel Caverns in Silver Dollar City in Missouri, then you have seen what forms in a roof collapse. The opening perimeter might be a bit fragile, and have to be re-enforced.

From the Wikipedia artcle, Lunar Lava Tubes, comes this.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has imaged over 200 pits that show the signature of being skylights into subsurface voids or caverns, ranging in diameter from about 5 m (16 ft) to more than 900 m (3,000 ft), although some of these are likely to be post-flow features rather than volcanic skylights.

You're absolutely right that the interior of the lava tube will need structural reinforcement beneath any sections of the crust which are deemed too fragile to be stable.

As everybody here knows, I get as excited as a little kid when I think of something from a classic sci-fi movie that seems to suggest a solution to a real-world problem! Very Happy

With that in mind, remember the other Science now, add Fiction later post I made recently about lunar habitats that will be built using lunar material in 3D printers?

Well, if we've got a big pile of loose material directly under the skylight that will have to be excavated to flatten the cavern floor for our subterranean city . . . why not use it to make columns that support the ceiling?

Watcha wanna bet that's exactly what those clever Metalunan's did it This Island Earth! Note that they not only supported the cavern ceiling, they even made some of the tallest buildings do the job!

The overhead shot doesn't demonstrate this —Very Happy

— but the matte paintings does.

So, the loose material on the floor of the lava tubes could be fused into building blocks from which the ceiling supports and builders could be constructed.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a fine article that addresses some of the problems concerning the initial exploration of the cavern — namely, how to we get down into the dang thing!
Shocked

Single Rope Technique — on the Moon

by Robert Zimmerman

James Fincannon of NASA took the two images of the Marius Hills lunar pit taken at different times by Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (which I posted here) and did an overlay so that the shadow produced by pit’s rim could be easily compared with the rim itself (see below). He then did some calculations based on the sun’s angle of light shining into the cave and came up with the following calculations:

I estimate it is 60 meters from rim to bottom. The floor is flat below the surface. The rocks on the flat surface below ground are in stark relief (hard shadows) compared to above ground due to the sun coming only at one angle while above ground the albedo/reflections makes for soft shadows at this high sun angle (65 deg elevation). I cannot tell if the black portion of the combo image is a slope or more flat floor. Need a different high sun angle or azimuth to fill that in. Still I like the general pattern of the rim matching the shadow on the floor, although the image I found originally has that edge of the cave rim in shadow for a large extent.

A 60 meter drop is about 200 feet deep. This result is reasonably close to the depth estimated by Japanese scientists, 88 meters or 288 feet, based on images of the same lunar pit taken by their Kaguya probe.

Knowing the approximate depth of the entrance pit raises the much more important question: How will future lunar explorers to get to the bottom of this pit? It is ironic that, after flying almost a quarter of a million miles from Earth, the task of traveling this measly additional 200 to 300 vertical feet is actually a significant and hardly trivial engineering challenge.

This isn’t the movies, so flying a spacecraft down through the opening is probably not practical and is certainly too risky. Nor can the astronauts simply jump in, since even in the Moon’s weak 1/6 gravitational field the fall would probably be fatal at 200 feet.

So, how will those first astronauts do it?

On Earth, traveling up and down a 300 foot pit has become somewhat routine for cave explorers. You rig a sufficiently long rope to a solid anchor, put on a harness, attach your rappel device to both the harness and rope, and rappel in. The rappel device, usually a rack, uses friction on the rope to control the rate of descent.

To exit the pit, you attach ascenders both to the rope and to your harness. The ascenders are mechanical devices with a cam that can slide up the rope, but will lock into place when you put any weight on it. Thus you literally walk up the rope, alternating ascenders as you climb.

The Moon, however, presents technical difficulties for these rope-climbing techniques. For one, the astronaut will be wearing a big spacesuit, with thick unwieldy gloves. Using both a rack and ascenders requires some delicate fingertip control. A heavily-clad astronaut might find such tasks difficult. For another, how will the astronaut put on his harness?

The simplest and most practical solution here would be to modify these devices to fit the situation. The harness attachments could be incorporated directly into the spacesuit, thereby eliminating the need for a harness. The rappel device as well as the ascenders could be modified so that they will be easier to use by a thickly gloved astronaut. (This is exactly what engineers at the Goddard Space Flight Center did in preparing the tools for the Hubble Space Telescope shuttle mission: the powered tools were all carefully modified or redesigned from ordinary Earth-based tools to make it easy for a spacesuited astronaut to use.)

Then there is the question of the lower lunar gravity: Will it require a redesign of the rack and ascenders to make them work properly? For example, in climbing it helps to have some weight pulling down on the rope so that the ascenders will slide up easily, then lock instantly when you stand on them. The Moon’s low gravity might make it more difficult for an Earth-designed ascender to slide up the rope. Similarly, the low gravity might make it difficult for the rappel rack to provide the proper amount of friction during descent.

I am not an engineer, so I am very curious to hear what other vertical experts (cavers, rock-climbers, etc) as well as the engineers out there think of this, and if they have any suggestions of their own. The key is to keep the solution as simple as possible, and as small as possible so as to not add any unnecessary weight.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the Moon was a living organisim? And...what if these tubes were the "Lunar intestines'?

We would be just Human suppositories in our enematic Lunar explorations?

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you descend into the cavern? By a winch and cable. How do you ascend out of the cavern? By the same winch and cable.

Unless there is a radical improvement in spacesuit technology, the Astronauts are still going to have bad mobility problems. So using conventional climbing equipment is not an option. Remember, the Astronauts 'hopped' on the Moon, because it was easier than walking in the restrictive Moonsuits.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
How do you descend into the cavern? By a winch and cable. How do you ascend out of the cavern? By the same winch and cable.

I think you're absolutely right, David. The method suggested in the article makes a lot less sense. He seems to have put a lot of thought into doing the job the hard way. Confused
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Gerry & Sylvia Anderson were in the early stages of developing their "Space: 1999" TV series it was suggested that Moon Base Alpha be entirely beneath the moon's surface.

The idea was dropped because it was deemed visually undramatic to do so.

Seeing these marvelous concept pictures here of colonies located below the surface it makes me think that it could now be visually impressive via cgi/model miniatures for a sci~fi production.

It would also have the added value of being a much more scientifically plausible idea for practical & safety & security issues to have an installation secured underground.

If a "Space: 1999" or, better yet, "UFO'' reboot were to be done this would absolutely be the way to go.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Zimmerman wrote:
I am not an engineer, so I am very curious to hear what other vertical experts (cavers, rock-climbers, etc) as well as the engineers out there think of this, and if they have any suggestions of their own. The key is to keep the solution as simple as possible, and as small as possible so as to not add any unnecessary weight.

A very simple system sometimes known as a "man engine" was use in Europe to raise and lower men into and out of mines. Essentially, it consisted of two adjacent ladder-like assemblies. The ladders reciprocated up and down, usually for several feet. They moved 180 degrees out of phase with each other, so that as one was elevated to the top of its cycle, the other ladder was at its bottom point. A man who wanted to ascend would stand on a ladder rung that was about to go up, and ride it until it reached the top of its cycle and was about to go back down. At that time, he would step sideways to the other ladder, which had just reached the bottom of its cycle and was about to go up. As it then rose, it would carry the miner up another several feet. At the top of this second ladder's stroke, the miner would step back onto the first ladder and be carried up again. Thus, a man could rise to the surface simply by stepping side to side repeatedly. Descending would be just as simple. Even a space suited astronaut should be able to negotiate this side-stepping.

I found an animation of the principle at

A Wikipedia article that includes the animation and several photos, is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_engine

More info here:
https://tinyurl.com/qr5gx7t

This would certainly be relatively simple to implement, but I think today's technology could come up with an ordinary elevator system (winch powered, as Krel said) that would allow moving much heavier and bulkier things than a single man.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The text you quoted was not mine, it was written by the author of the article I pasted in my post, Robert Zimmerman, as I stated.

I corrected the error in your posts.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That type of "elevator" was seen in Our Man Flint (1966)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
That type of "elevator" was seen in Our Man Flint (1966)

Actually, the elevator in "Flint" was a wide belt with foot pads and handholds for the riders. One side went up, the other went down. No stepping back and forth was needed to keep a rider from just going up and down a short distance over and over if he stayed on the same foot pad.

Flint did, however, crawl around to the other side to evade capture, when he discovered people on the floor below about to nab him. So he switched sides and went up.

Clever, that Derek Flint, eh?
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: