ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Flies (1944)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Time Flies (1944) Reply with quote

Here are some interesting personal recollections from Jimbo Berkey about a movie that came out a decade earlier than the ones I've shared so far from his website, Free Classic Movies, one of the rare science fiction films from the 1940s, a film called Time Flies.

I'm watching the download from Jimbo's website right now — and eating fresh popcorn! Very Happy

I do not remember the exact year or teacher, but I vividly recall one day in one of my first school years when the teacher discussed the future.

She was telling us about a far off event . . . the changing from one century to the next . . . in the year 2000. She discussed some of the previous centuries, and the history of time as it moves from century to century.

__

My young imagination tried to picture what life would be like in the new century, and I distinctly remember counting the years from that day until the year 2000, then determining how old I would be if I survived to that ripe old age.

__

I remember debating with my vivid imagination whether or not I would still have my wits about me and would recognize and appreciate the 21st century. Surely if I was still alive in that far off year, I might be so old that I would be senile and could not appreciate that a new century had arrived.

__

Well, that century is now more than a decade old, and inside my mind I still feel like I did when I was in my mid-twenties, regardless of the white whiskers on my chin that tell me otherwise. And despite what some of my friends say, I still have a bit of my wits about me even in this twenty first century.

__

Ever since watching the original Star Trek on channel 43 in Cleveland Ohio when I really was in my twenties, I have enjoyed science fiction and journeys into space and time. And now thanks to cable television with hundreds of channels I can enjoy Dr. Who from Britain on the BBC America channel.

__

Always a leader in science fiction, this British movie brings us the very first motion picture that featured a time machine, and along with some believable science fiction, a huge dose of the unbeatable British word humor. Their use of the language for double entendre and the effective use of meaningful synonyms, like when one of our stars is headed for a visit to the Queen's court and states, "any court in a storm."

__

Grab a big bowl of home-popped white kernel popcorn drizzled with lots of warm melted butter, and enjoy a blast from the past as our heroes travel back in time to the England of Queen Elizabeth the first.

____Jimbo Berkey

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 8 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Always a leader in science fiction, this British movie brings us the very first motion picture that featured a time machine, and along with some believable science fiction, a huge dose of the unbeatable British word humor.

And if that right there isn't reason enough to watch this unusual science fiction movie, you're on the wrong message board, my friend! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, I'm going to have to watch this movie!

Thanks Bud!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the posts above today and remembered that the time machine and sets in this movie (along with some impressive special effects) were worth making screen grabs for a posts.

* * * * * * * * * SPOILER ALERT * * * * * * * * * *

First of all, the time machine is a large metal ball, similar to the one in the short-lived series Timeless!

When the two comic characters are running from a group cops, they stumble into the laboratory where the time sphere is located.

Inside there are two levels and some impressive dials, controls, and pieces of equipment, but I couldn't do them justice with soft-focus screen grabs, so I'll let you guys watch the movie to see those.

The professor and a lovely blond (Evelyn Dall) are already inside the time machine when the guys who are running from the cops enter the lab.

The two fugitives accidentally activate it when they go inside to hide from the cops. Notice that when the hatch is closed before the cops rush in, there's no seam! Shocked

When the machine activates, it doesn't just disappear — it floats up into the air and passes right through the wall of the lab while the cops watch in awe! Then is flies out over the city and goes out into space!

The professors sets the time circuits for a visit to Queen Elizabeth during her reign, and the sphere lands gently in a snowy forest near London.

During the time travels visit in the court of Elizabeth, the superstitious British citizens decide that these strange people and their bizarre orb are all part of witchcraft, so they try burn them . . . time machine an all!

But the professor cranks up the time machine, and it floats up from the courtyard, heads out into space again, and finally returns to the lab. (Oddly enough, we DO see the seam of the closed hatch in the miniature. Confused)

Notice that the shot of the Earth is different from the first one above, not just a repeat shot. Very Happy

Remember, this a comedy, so despite the impressive sci-fi elements, expect lots of gags and even a few songs from the lovely blond who accompanies the men. And the ending is definitely not serious (or very satisfying, sci-fi wise, I'm sorry to say).

But over all, the movie is loads of fun, so download it from Jimbo Berkey's site, pop up the corn, and run the movie! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND it may have been the inspiration for the Time Sphere in the old Rip Hunter — Time Master comics!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Eadie, I beg your forgiveness for overlooking your wonderful post above . . . for the last five years! Shocked

The comic you shared has excellent artwork, and Wikipedia says that the character, portrayed by Arthur Darvill, appears in the first three seasons of the CW's television series Legends of Tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out this interesting connenction! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: