ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mars Has Belts of Frozen Water Ice Glaciers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Mars Has Belts of Frozen Water Ice Glaciers Reply with quote

This —

— may soon be a reality.

Click on image to view article. Why is it that artists who make a terraformed Mars picture NEVER show any vegetation?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the short (but very interesting) video about the water ice on Mars. And I'm impressed with the person who talks about the discovery, too. I mean it's so obvious that she's intelligent. You can see it in her eyes!

(No, her eyes, fellas. Look higher . . . )

~ The Space Children (1958)
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the short-but-interesting video above again today, and I was fascinated by the theory that the upper third of Mars was once a vast (but shallow) ocean! Cool

Could there actually be fossilized remains of ocean creatures all over the upper third of the Martian desert? Shocked

Maybe . . . but I still think Mars is not really worth all the trouble and expanse of sending manned missions to it!

Okay, so it might have once had life! But so what? It doesn't have life now, and finding out what it DOESN'T have hardly seems worth the expense and the risk to human life! And we've got a zillion fossils of extinct life right here on Earth.

Why do we need more of those from Mars, for God's safe? Sad

Sorry, guys — but I'm a "Lunar colony" man, not a "waste time trying to explore Mars" guy. I don't think we should spend one damn penny on Mars missions, manned on otherwise. Hell's bells, why should we! Rolling Eyes

For the last hundred years we've been sold a bill of goods about how fascinating Mars is. Has any of those fictional promises turned out to be true?

Let's look at the facts.

We thought it had canals (but we found out it didn't). We thought it had Martians (nope, sorry, wrong again). We now think it can be colonized (well maybe . . . but who'd want to live there?).

And we have grand dreams that it can be terraformed! But that's dead wrong too! It has no magnetic field to protect the colonists from cosmic rays!

Folks, Mars is a just a ball of worthless real estate — a bad place to visit and a worse place to live. If we took all the money we'd waste on going to Mars and spent it on restoring the planet Earth, we've be much better off.

And meanwhile we could turn the Moon into one big space station which could preserve the human race if the Earth is hit by an asteroid and wipes out all the life here. Sad

Think about it folks. Mars is the ultimate Money Pit. And we can't afford to throw either our dough or our priceless resources into it just to give scientists the kind of ambitious projects that keep them happy. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: