ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Satan's Robots (1940)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Doctor Satan's Robots (1940) Reply with quote

______

[Also released as: "Mysterious Dr. Satan" and "Doctor Satan's Robots"]

Feature version of the enjoyable republic serial, with an imaginative plot and better-than-average acting, even though the fight scenes are a bit scarce. The editing of this condensed version does an admirable job of meshing the chapters into a coherent story (although it tends to leap ahead of itself confusingly near the end).

John English plays "Copperhead", a masked avenger who pits himself against Dr. Satan (Edward/Eduardo Ciannelli), a mad scientist who steals a "remote control cell", a device which he uses to electronically manipulate everything from airliners to his own menacing (and poorly designed) robot.

The robot is reused in numerous other serials. The villain forces his own men to wear devices strapped to their chests which allow him to electrocute them by remote control whenever they are captured by the authori??ties. Dr. Satan's final comeuppance is both well-deserved and well-designed.

Directed by William Whitney. Eduardo Ciannelli is best remembered for his role as the evil cult leader in "Gungha Din".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:56 am; edited 5 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Poorly designed robot"' I must protest! This was one of the coolest robot designs of the period; after Metropolis, in my opinion, not surpassed until Gort.

And he could walk every bit as well as Robby.

This movie/serial was the first I remember seeing the use of a "garbage compactor" room, wherein one wall slowly advances to crush its occupant.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgive me, Wayne. I must have been thinking of another robot with a far less appealing shape. Clearly the design of this robot represents cutting edge technology and advanced engineering.

In fact, the more I look at it, the better I like it!

Behold! Dr. Satan's Coorsbot!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This robot must have been the inspiration for Felix the Cat's foe The Master Cylinder.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
This robot must have been the inspiration for Felix the Cat's foe The Master Cylinder.

Master Cylinder! HA! Love that. Laughing (Wish I'd thought of it . . . Sad)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master Cylinder underwent a few design iterations throughout its career, as one might expect from different artists. This was one typical configuration.

Back in the heyday of kids' space programming on TV (we're talkin' the 1950s here) it was common for local TV stations to introduce their own robots for live public appearances in addition to their taking part in the TV shows. A favorite show of mine was 3-D Danny, out of Oklahoma City. They produced a pair of robots, almost identical to each other. The original was named Bazark. Then they introduced Rosie. (I can see a robot being named Bazark... but Rosie??)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
"Poorly designed robot"' I must protest! This was one of the coolest robot designs of the period; after Metropolis, in my opinion, not surpassed until Gort.

And he could walk every bit as well as Robby.

Well, it might be able to walk fairly well, but it can't bend forward as well as Robby (limited though that might be), and the hands are useless for holding anything other than a can of beer . . . which is ironic, since it's shaped like one! Laughing

~ The Space Children (1958)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to find all the chapters individually or a single video with the entire series, but most of the YouTube versions either had a bad picture or a bad audio — or both! Sad

But this version of chapter one has good audio and a tolerable picture.

Enjoy!_

__ Mysterious Doctor Satan 1x01 - Return of the Copperhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: