ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) Reply with quote

Do the Marvel people EVER make a boring movie?

Well, not yet, and the didn't with this one either. Wink

This one has a complex story with adult themes about Good Guy organization being infiltrated by Bad Guy organizations, and we aren't always sure whose wearing the white hats and black hats, so to speak.

Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, ends up facing his childhood friend — Bucky Barnes — who has endured cruel brainwashing and physical augmentations from the Nazi-like organization, Hydra, and now does there bidding . . . right down to his efforts to kill is childhood former friend.

The fight between Captain America and the Winter Soldier aboard a helicarriers is the stuff which would have thrilled us aging Baby Boomer in our younger days, but it's sort of "par for the course" these days. Rolling Eyes

I'm kidding, of course. I wish I could once a Baby Boomer, always a Baby Boomer — but if you aren't still thrilled by scenes like the ones in this movie, you probably wouldn't have been thrill by them when you were a kid! Shocked

Ah well . . . the rest of us feel sorry for you . . . Sad

Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Trailer 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - VFX Breakdown by Scanline VFX (2014)

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 150 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ (At around fifteen minutes) Nick Fury relates a story of his grandfather being an elevator operator. In real-life, Samuel L. Jackson's grandfather was an elevator operator.

Note from me: Proof positive that anybody in American can "come up in the world". Wink

~ Robert Redford wanted to do the film because his grandchildren are fans of Marvel films, and he wanted them to see him in one.

Note from me: Ummm . . . did Granddaddy Bob tell the kids he would be a bad guy who would die? Shocked

~ (At around sixteen minutes) When the Helicarriers are revealed for the first time, Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) mentions to Captain America (Chris Evans) that Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) insisted on making changes to the propulsion systems "once he got a closer look". In The Avengers (2012), Iron Man struggled to restart the damaged propeller-based engines of an earlier generation Helicarrier. The new Helicarriers use repulsor technology instead of propellers to create lift.

Note from me: Yes indeed, the scene in The Avengers where Iron Man gets trapped in the giant "blender" of the Helicarriers's propeller was brutal! I get sick on amusement park rides that spin me around, so I'd been in the Iron Man suit, it would have filled with my lunch! Shocked

~ When Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) is opening his refrigerator, a jar of Newman's Own Sauce is visible on the shelf, an apparent homage to Redford's long-time friend and two-time co-star Paul Newman.

Note from me: Oh my God . . . Newman would have been so proud! Then agian, his wife (Joan Woodward) could have sued and made a fortune. We live in a strange world, folks! Confused

~ When Steve Rogers enters his apartment, you can briefly see a copy of the book "All the President's Men" on his bookshelf. Robert Redford was producer and co-star (with Dustin Hoffman) of the movie adaptation of this book.

Note from me: I've been meaning to watch that movie for years. I think I'll put if on my Netflix list.

~ Between The Avengers (2012) and this movie, Cap's shield is no longer magnetic with additional electronics. This reflects the comic books, where Cap found that the modifications affected the delicate balance of the shield, and had them removed.

Note from me: Not sure how I feel about this idea. When the shield did cool stuff like coming back to him, etc., I was impressed. Did it still do that after Steve had all the Bonus Features remove?

~ This movie is the last live-action appearance of the late Garry Shandling. While this movie was his final appearance on the big screen, his final film role would be in a voice-over, in The Jungle Book (2016).

Note from me: I love the scene in the end where Shandling's snart0-assed politician was forced to honor the heroes by pinning medals on them. (I'm not fond of politicians these days. They lie a lot . . . ) Rolling Eyes

~ The photo of Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) from 1992 is a still image of Redford from Sneakers (1992).

Note from me: I love Sneakers! Redford is great in that one. I own a DVD of it. All Sci-Fi needs a thread for this enjoyable movie!

Hey, just who is in charge of starting threads around here? Shocked

(Oh, wait . . . that would be me!)

Okay, I just started one here.

Jeez, guys, see how EASY that was? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: