ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flat-Earther Blasts off in Homemade Rocket!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Flat-Earther Blasts off in Homemade Rocket! Reply with quote

Flat-Earther Blasts Himself into the Sky on Homemade Rocket (and He Survives)

You just gotta read this, guys! Here's proof that even dumb people can be rocket scientists! Laughing

A flat-Earth conspiracy theorist named Mike Hughes finally lifted off our spherical planet's surface into the skies aboard a self-made, steam-powered rocket Saturday (March 24).

"Mad" Mike believes, of course mistakenly, that the Earth is flat, and his plan since November 2017 has been to launch himself upwards of 1,800 feet, with the goal of making it high enough to prove the planet's flatness, though that's down the line, he has said.

In a video by Noize TV (which contains explicit language) yesterday, Hughes is seen stepping into the top cone of the rocket, with his helmet-covered head facing the heavens, the desert mountains in the background. The rocket was nestled into scaffolding attached to Hughes' "Flat Earth" plastered truck.

The launch comes after two failed attempts — one was canceled after the Bureau of Land Management caught wind of his plans to shoot the rocket from public lands and promptly shut him down; and in another attempt on Feb. 3, the flat-Earther's rocket never left the pad (on private land). (Noise TV livestreamed the painful-to-watch 11-minute event.)

This time, Hughes, a 61-year-old limo driver, crafted a ramp from a mobile home so that he could launch from a vertical angle that would allow him to return to Earth on private land owned by Albert Okura. In Saturday's success, the rocket took off straight into the air, reaching 1,875 feet (572 meters) above the Mojave Desert near Amboy, California, before making a "hard landing which sheared off the nose cone," he posted on his Facebook page.

The cone, with Hughes inside, fell back to Earth attached to a parachute. He was dropping at 350 mph (560 km/h) before pulling his parachute; that wasn't enough to slow him to a reasonable speed, and so Hughes had to pull a second parachute before crashing into the desert, as seen in the Noize TV livestream.

Upon landing, he told the Associated Press that aside from an aching back, he was fine, and "relieved," adding "I'm tired of people saying I chickened out and didn't build a rocket. I'm tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it."

The mission looked like it was going to be aborted, due to the high winds and the fact that his rocket was losing steam. As reported by the AP, for maximum thrust, the steam pressure should reach 350 psi and before the launch, it was dropping to 340 psi.

"I told Mike we could try to keep charging it up and get it hotter," said Waldo Stakes, who was helping Hughes with the mission. "He said, 'No,'" the AP reported.

His ultimate goal? Hughes reportedly wants to build what he's calling a Rockoon, or a rocket that hitches a ride into the air aboard a gas-filled balloon. The rocket would then separate and take Hughes to an altitude of 68 miles (110 kilometers), where he could then take pictures to prove the flatness of the Earth, according to the AP. One can see Earth's curvature starting at an altitude of about 6.6 miles, or 35,000 feet (10,700 m).

"Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is," he said in an earlier video posted to his Facebook page. "Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space."

Of course, there are plenty of ways to prove the Earth is a sphere without launching oneself into space, as Live Science has laid out previously.

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly man. Why not just go up in an airplane?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's sillier than you think, Steve. Read the article. The bozo's plan was to fly to 1,800 feet, because he wants to eventually take a photo that shows that the Earth is flat.

Seriously . . . Rolling Eyes

Bear in mind that commercial airliners fly around 30,000 feet, so Captain Moron only went about half that high. But he eventually wants to fly to 68 miles (~ 120,000 feet) to take a photo to prove the Earth is flat.

He's in for a rude awakening, because one can see Earth's curvature starting at an altitude of about 6.6 miles, or 35,000 feet!

And why does he and his Lunatic Club think the Earth is flat? Because the scientific theories are wrong, all the photo's of the Earth from space are fake, and all the governments want to hide the truth!

These certifiably insane idiots have witless theories to explain how the sun is over China when it's nighttime in our hemisphere . . . and all the other obvious facts which prove they're as crazier than Napoleon's twin brother who directs traffic in the middle of Death Valley. Rolling Eyes

But I still can't figure out how somebody with less intelligence than an inbred Alabama hillbilly who married his own sister could possiblly build a "self-made, steam-powered rocket" that took him up to 1,875 feet! Shocked

Yes, steam powered! Hell, that was the reaction mass in the Destination Moon rocket! Confused

Which brings up an interesting question; does Captain James T. Quirk think the Moon is flat, too!

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about our poor educational system!

We "delusional" sci-fi fans have always known this, as witness this first photo of the Earth. It was captured on October 24, 1946 from a rocket 105 kilometers (65.243731941 miles) above the ground that had been launched from the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, USA.:

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My late brother, a woodworker, and I used to joke about a starship powered by steam. To make the steam he came up with the idea to harvest water from nearby planets along with trees to burn for firewood.

We decided the ship would be an immense orb large enough to store millions of trees inside it.

He called it “Steaming to the Stars”. Later on I came up with starships powered by coal. Still steam but they now used coal to heat the boilers. The “coal burners” as they were called looked down their noses ar the “wooden ships” as they called them. They claimed their ships were cleaner burning than their dirty cohorts which was debatable if not an outright lie.

Anyway, he and I got a good laugh at “Steaming to the Stars” way back when.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read on Yahoo where our erstwhile rocketeer died recently in a failed attempt to reach 5,000 feet. Apparently the chute got snagged on the launch tower during launch and he did not survive the plunge back to earth.

Here's a link to the you tube video of the crash:

https://youtu.be/hrAdayUh6-4

Sadly for him, in the end, the flat earth got the last laugh...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. Sad

He should have launched from the edge of the flat Earth, that way if he fell back toward the ground . . . he might get luck and miss it! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: