ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

San Andreas (2015)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: San Andreas (2015) Reply with quote

All in all, this is one hell of a movie. Very Happy

When you compare it to schmaltzy soap operas with less impressive special effects like Earthquake (1974), this one is a white-knuckle thrill ride — from the awesome helicopter rescue Dwayne Johnson makes just eight minutes into the movie, right up to the scene where a wave the size of Mt. Everest gives free car washes to all the folks on the Golden Gate Bridge.

One very appealing aspect of the plot is the non-stop mobility of the main characters. Wayne Johnson and Carla Gugino travel by helicopter, pickup truck, airplane, speedboat, and ummm . . . (darn, there was one more. What was that last one?)

Oh, right! Tandem parachute!

(Skydiving while tightly strapped to Carla Gugino is now at the top of my bucket list.) Shocked

Personally I think the cause of all the shakin' was Miss Gugino. She's definitely a 10 . . . on the Richter scale.

The special effects are so good they would have sent audiences screaming from the theater four decades ago (or taking cover under the seats), and the movie could have advertised itself as —

"Filmed on location at an actual natural disaster!"

Here's a fun idea for a drinking game. While watching this movie with a group of friends, everybody takes a drink each time you see a running woman who is not wearing a bra. The last person still conscience wins the game. Cool

If you make it to the first hour, you must have a very high tolerance for alcohol. Shocked

____________________ San Andreas - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great movie with several interesting trivia comments on IMDB.

Enjoy! Very Happy

An earthquake on the west coast of California at 9.6 wouldn't cause a tsunami on the same coast. If it caused a tsunami at all it would be across the Pacific.

Note from me: Yeah, that great tsunami scene is a serious error in the science of the story, but it sure looked good. However, if the west coast earthquake triggered another one a few miles out to sea and the ocean floor dropped down dramatically (like the quake that caused the tsunami in Japan), the tsunami in this movie would have occurred.

Having said that, consider this next item! Very Happy

It is possible for a Nevada quake to trigger an L.A. quake, and for an L.A. quake to trigger a San Francisco quake. The 1992 Landers earthquake, a 7.3 in California's Mojave Desert, triggered a 5.3 quake in Nevada the next day. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake triggered magnitude 5 earthquakes the next day in Santa Monica, Oregon, and Nevada.

Note from me: So, the tsunami could be explained.

Dwayne Johnson and Carla Gugino also starred in the remake of Race to Witch Mountain (2009).

Note from me: Well, well . . . I think I'll get this one from Netflix and take a look at it. Very Happy

After a devastating earthquake in Nepal in April 2015, the film's marketing campaign was adjusted to include information about how to help relief efforts and to give guidance on how to prepare for natural disasters (e.g. a link to the site prepareandhelp.com was added to the newest trailers)

Note from me: An admirable example of Hollywood using it's influence on the public to provide important emergency information.

If the earthquakes were above a 6.1 then AT&T stadium would have much more damage than shown in the movie.

Note from me: I can't help but wonder how the author of this item could be so sure about this. Wouldn't the stadium be built to withstand earthquakes even better than the tall buildings we see survive the initial shocks of the quake?

I mean, it's lower than those tall buildings, and it's built to house many thousands of people in close proximity when a quake suddenly hits the area. Wouldn't that mean the stadium would be the most earthquake-proof structure in the whole city?

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND the georgous Carla Gugino also starred as Sally Jupiter in WATCHMEN. The only film to feature Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah in the right context!

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the golden age Silk Spectre... they surely knew how to make superheroine costumes in those days!

So "San Andreas" was an all-out action movie? And there was me thinking they just stood around arguing as to whose fault it all was...

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
So "San Andreas" was an all-out action movie? And there was me thinking they just stood around arguing as to whose fault it all was...

That's right, no one had to do any "fault finding" in this movie. It found them! Shocked
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love this movie, you'll like this video which gives us a glimpse of the various composites needed to make several of the complex FX shots.

I love way they included dramatic music which underscored the dramatic scenes being shown from the movie. An awesome video, guys! Shocked

Damn, I'd LOVE to do this for a living. This kind of stuff is in my blood! Cool

_San Andreas - VFX Breakdown by Scanline VFX (2015)

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Lots of rocks everywhere... Reply with quote

It's CGI destruction time as Dwayne Johnson battles earthquakes and a tsunami to go rescue his daughter - with estranged wife in tow of course.

Disaster films are easy to kick because very rarely they are nothing more than candy carnage with a trite screenplay and cheese laden dialogue. Such is the case with San Andreas. In essence this is a remake of Roland Emmerich's 2012, only this is the shorter version with the time span that 2012 should have had. This does exactly what the marketing department promised it would, namely lots of crash bang and wallop, but just like Emmerich's behemoth it gets boring entering the final third, the writing just not good enough to hold interest once the noise and destruction dies down before the big finale arrives. Suspense is absent, emotional investment in characters is null and void, while there are no worthwhile surprises in store. But on the plus side Johnson is a likable guy and he carries us through till the end of what is a fun movie if expectation levels are appropriately set at dumb popcorn fodder. 6/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: