ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blood of Dracula (1957)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Blood of Dracula (1957) Reply with quote

First of all, this is one damn fine poster! Not only is it great artwork, it's also a perfect likeness of the wild monster makeup used in this movie.

Producer Herman Cohen brought us I Was a Teenaged Werewolf and I Was a Teenaged Frankenstein. He could have called this one I Was a Teenaged Vampire, but he didn't, perhaps because he thought three separate I Was a Teenaged _____ movies in a single year would be too much.

Blood of Dracula is just as much fun as it's two teenaged brothers, and it borrows the hypnosis-can-create-monsters idea from I Was a Teenaged Werewolf.

The evil headmistress at an all-girls school hypnotizes young Sandra Harrison and turns her into a vampire. She sprouts sabre-toothed fangs, a satanic hair-do that peaks low on her forehead, a pasty complexion, wild eyebrows that extend up over her temples, and large black circles under her eyes.

Also starring Richard Devon, Gail Ganley, Louis Lewis, and Thomas B. Henry (20 Million Miles to Earth, many others). Directed by Herbert L. Strock.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This trailer certainly makes the movie look exciting!

_____________ Blood of Dracula (1957) Trailer

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slightly better copy of that poster:

A blogger online here remarks that "it's a fun little fun, and doesn't outstay its welcome, and would be a good companion piece to AIP's other famous teenage angst flick, I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957) - which itself had the working title of Blood of the Werewolf before settling for the much more memorable name."
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Staggeringly Lame - A Brain Drain - Contrived Cack. Reply with quote

A teenage girl, bit of a rebel, is sent away to a girls school. Her fiery nature brings her to the attention of the science teacher, who, using a Carpathian amulet, uses the girl for nefarious deeds.

OK! You understand why plenty of folk love the cruddy schlockers of the 50s (I love me plenty as well), the films that were the bottom half of a bottom of the barrel drive-in double bill. Quite often there's a charm to be found, even some that genuinely have craft, guile and surprise enough to warrant love and affection. Blood of Dracula (AKA: Blood Is My Heritage) is devoid of charm and doesn't work hard to earn support.

As has been pointed out by the horror faithful over the years, there is no blood and no Dracula in this film - though Dracula as plural does get a mention during one of the many many long and dull passages of chatter within. The narrative plods along until angry girl meets angry science teacher and it's hypnotism time! Yay. Enter a creature that looks like Eddie Munster with bad teeth. All violent damage is done off screen, an interim pop tune and dance sequence is just bizarre, and the plot's motives really don't make any sense.

Herman Cohen (producer) was not dumb. I Was a Teenage Werewolf and I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, the two other films in this schlocky trilogy, are good fun. He was capable of overseeing some good movies pitched at a teen audience - even having something to say about the youth/adult divide. Sadly his vampire excursion is not only lazy, it's also very dull. 2/10

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great co-ordination between vampirism and sexuality. At least from the feminine perspective. Both are the surrender of the physical to the spiritual phases of existance. These films attempted to address these aspects of the dicatomy of these concepts.

A person who is really in concert with the Vampirism idea would understand this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: