ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Come on guys! We're all stuck at home. Visit All Sci-Fi!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Come on guys! We're all stuck at home. Visit All Sci-Fi! Reply with quote

I'm hoping that during this unfortunate global emergency, the members of All Sci-Fi will find the time to enjoy a few daily visits to our fine message board. Very Happy

I also keep hoping that some of our members have the kind of living rooms similar to mine, which allow them to share synchro-cinemas in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room.

If you don't, perhaps you could rearrange your homes a bit to make them more synchro-cinema friendly so you can keep your sanity and survive this terrible crisis — which some experts say might last until July! Shocked

For example, if you have a laptop and a TV tray, you can set up your the living room similar to mine. Doesn't this look like a pleasant environment in which a person could survive isolation for several months? Very Happy

And if your kids or grandkids are like mine, they have their own devices which could be used to share synchro-cinemas with us! Cool

After all, my daugter (Ticket2theMoon) and my fifteen-year-old grandson (Tantus Starbucker) are both members of All Sci-Fi.

And even though they live in Georgia and can't visit their old granddaddy in North Carolina because of the Corona Beer Virus, we're planning to share a few movies in lieu of their usual visit here during Spring Break! Very Happy

So, think it over, guys! We might soon be living in a nation who suffers from cabin fever. Here's what might be in store for all of us in the months ahead! Shocked

________ Muppet Treasure Island - "Cabin Fever"

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me today that the All Sci-Fi's "guest count" (shown at the bottom of the main index) has been much higher than normal for the last week — over 100 on many occasions, instead of 20 to 30 — because so many people are stuck at home nation wide, and while they're surfing the net they're dropping in here at All Sci-Fi.

We even got a new member! Cool

Here's a screen shot I must made.

filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: What I'm Doing Now Reply with quote

I'm watching MST3K on Comet TV.

I have all kinds of projects, one being to extract the host segments from the whole TV episodes, to see how the story of Joel and Mike and the 'Bots and their relationships with their bosses changed over 10 years.

If anybody else has already carried out that idea, I'd like to know about it.

Just finished watching Hercules Unchained, a Joel hosted episode, where Mike appears as a full bearded "Hercules" fully clothed, and obviously padded to increase his chest size, not really recognizable as the show's Head Writer, except by his voice.

I saw Hercules Unchained first run in Columbus Georgia, then again in 1970 on WWAY-TV from the Port City of Wilmington, NC.

Joel and the 'Bots often talk too loud and too fast to follow the action in the film, and when the film is dubbed into English, it can be confusing just who is doing the talking, Joel and the 'Bots, or a character in the film?

However, this film was not ruined for me by the MST3K format, and over the decades my appreciation for it did increase.

I remember finding the part where the Evil Queen has somebody dipped into a boiling pool, scary, when seeing it with my brother and cousin in Georgia on the first run.

Then, soon after I discovered Famous Monsters, a scene from Hercules Unchained was used as a Mystery Photo.

Back in High School English class we studied the ancient Greek play, Edipus, the King, or was it Oedipus the king, or Rex as the king.

Well, what I remembered from English class was that the Chorus sang a narration to tell viewers what was going on.

And, on my 1970 viewing, when Hercules drank from the Waters of Forgetfulness, I recognized that as the chorus telling us viewers what was going on.

In the mixture of my memory, I thought the Chorus was a female voice, but on last night's viewing it was a male voice, although some female voices then took over the narration.

I know some film fans knock MST3K as desecrating films, but from what I've said above, the art of Joel Hodgson can enhance a film student's film appreciation.

I have not searched All Sci-Fi enough yet to find if we have a MST3K thread or not, and if there is such a thread I'll post any future comments there, or start one if we don't yet have a thread devoted to that TV show.

That's my introduction to all the Cats and Kitties of All Sci-Fi.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first post, filmdetective! We look forward to your future contributions.

We don't have a thread dedicated to MST3k itself, so feel free to start one in Off-Topic Discussions, since it's a comedy series, and it frequently includes non-science movies.

I'm sure it will get many replies from fans of MST3K.

Thanks!

Bud

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull up most MST3Ks on YouTube....even some of Joel's earliest public television episodes.

The changing narrative between Joel, The Bots and "Evil Scientists" is fascinating and complicated by the fact that NOTHING needs to really make sense!!!

Keep us posted on your observations....We may make Bud a Mystie after all!

filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Replies Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, Bud and Gord.

And, Bud, it was nice seeing the photos of your family.

After making that first post, I did look for a MST3K thread and couldn't find one.

So, I'll remember if and when I start one, the place to start it would be on Off Topics.

I'm carrying on with my Life as Usual, altho I'm sorry to say my employer is not allowing me to work for the next two weeks, but is paying me half of my average earnings.

I noticed that the 1980 Flash Gordon feature film is going to be on Comet TV tonight, and I might watch it.

WECT-TV from Wilmington, NC ran the old 1930s serials in 1968 afternoons, and I watched some of them but didn't get into them too deeply. Ironically, today, the 1980 film is as ancient as the 1930s films were back in 1968.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Weekly Ritual Reply with quote

One weekly ritual I'm keeping up is to type up print out and send the Comet TV schdule to Long Time Zinester Dave Szurek in Washington state.

He has cable TV with Comet, but no schedule in any local newspapers, he and his wife staying in an assisted living facility.

Starting back in the 1960s, (or even earlier), Dave, now in his 70s, kept up the zine publishing, his last one, Weirdness Before (or was it after?) Midnight, a varaition of an earlier zine titled, Weird City.

Weirdness/Midnight lasted into the middle of the first decade of the 20th century, and Dave still writes film reviews which I post to CHFB.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What I'm Doing Now Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
… Edipus, the King, or was it Oedipus the king, or Rex as the king…

The play is Oedipus Rex (Ancient Greek: Οἰδίπους Τύραννος, pronounced [oidípoːs týrannos]), or Oedipus the King, is an Athenian tragedy by Sophocles that was first performed around 429 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_Rex

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What I'm Doing Now Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
The play is Oedipus Rex (Ancient Greek: Οἰδίπους Τύραννος, pronounced [oidípoːs týrannos]), or Oedipus the King, is an Athenian tragedy by Sophocles that was first performed around 429 BC.

Ah yes, I remember it well! I was there for the premiere, when the chariots pulled up in front of the theater (all of which came from Roman Rent-a-Ride) and delivered the VIPs to the red carpet leading into the theater!

The adoring crowds were lined up behind the velvet ropes on each side of the red carpet. It was a gala event I'll never forget, even if I live another 2,000 years! Very Happy

filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks for The Posts Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts, Eadie and Bud.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Bible to the popular song.
There's one theme that we find right along.
Of all ideals they hail as good.
The most sublime is motherhood.

There was a man though, who it seems.
Once carried this ideal to extremes.
He loved his mother and she loved him.
And yet his story is rather grim.

There once lived a man named Oedipus Rex.
You may have heard about his odd complex.
His name appears in Freud's index.
'Cause he loved his mother.

His rivals used to say quite a bit.
That as a monarch he was most unfit.
But still in all they had to admit.
That he loved his mother.

Yes, he loved his mother like no other.
His daughter was his sister and his son was his brother.
One thing on which you can depend is.
He sure knew who a boy's best friend is.

When he found what he had done.
He tore his eyes out, one by one.
A tragic end to a loyal son.
Who loved his mother.

So be sweet and kind to mother.
Now and then have a chat.
Buy her candy or some flowers.
Or a brand new hat.
But maybe you had better let it go at that.

Or you may find yourself with a quite complex complex.
And you may end up like Oedipus.
I'd rather marry a duck-billed platypus.
Than end up like old Oedipus Rex.

Thank you Mr. Lehrer, I never thought I would ever get to use this in a post! Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Tyrannosaurus Rex and her beloved son . . . Eddie.

(Short for Oedipus. Wink)

Powerslave214
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I stumbled across a link to All Sci-Fi from the Forbidden Planet discussion over at the Classic Horror Film Board.

Bud, I live approximately 3 hours north of Charlotte and have been attending the HeroesCon comics convention there since '94. Are there any used bookstores in the area that would be worth a visit for picking up science fiction books/magazines?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to All Sci-Fi!

I'm afraid I'm not aware of any used bookstores even in my own area. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. But I'm sure if you'll do a search of "used bookstores in _______ county" for example, you'll get a map showing the locations, along with contact info.

I'm looking forward to reading any comments you make in our Science Fiction Literature and Audio Media section.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: