ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956 England)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956 England) Reply with quote

This is, to put it bluntly, low-low-low budget nonsense.

The crew of a mission to the 13th moon of Jupiter think they've hit pay dirt when they discover an all-female, man-hungry civilization, the descendants of the lost continent of Atlantis (who presumably developed spaceflight before sinking into the Atlantic).

The Atlantian women need men for the usual reasons, and the men think that's just fine. The highlight of the film is when the "Fire Maidens" do their ceremonial dance to a lilting rendition of "Stranger in Paradise".

Boy, I'll bet the kids who went to see this in 1956 were plum entranced by that scene, yes sir.

Alas, things are not as rosy as they first seem for our love-struck astronauts. A mutant in leotards attacks them, and the women turn out to have some strange habits.

Slow pacing and an actionless story make this one tough to enjoy. But the poster makes it look like one helluva movie! Just look as this close-up of the exciting inserts.

Starring Paul Carpenter, Anthony Dexter, Harry Fowler, Susan Shaw, Sydney Tafler. Written and directed by Cy Roth.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good trailer can convince Eskimos to build a drive-in for dog sleds. This trailer, for example, makes absolutely sure the females members of the cast are seen prancing around in their cute little dresses.

Enjoy the trailer and then perhaps you'll want to let YouTube transport you to the Aurora Borealis Drive-In in Anchorage for their six-month long, all-night movie marathon! Very Happy

The movie is harmless good fun, if you don't mind a story that's as far from being intelligent as Earth is from the ninth moon of Saturn — which is where the unremarkable wooded area we see in the movie is supposed to be.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only expect to encounter the British actors Harry Fowler and Sydney Tafler in ancient TV sitcoms, but I suppose playing intrepid spacemen must have made a change.

filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: One Of My All-Time Favorites Reply with quote

I spent a long time composing a long post about this film, and somehow hit a wrong button that wiped it out, and I don't know how to recover it.

Bad waste of my precious time!

But these things do happen.

Too tired and got too much to do now, so I'll start on another post later on. At least I've found the post and got it bumped up to the top.
Powerslave214
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Windows system, Control + Z will undo your commands.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Thanks, and a Fresh Start Reply with quote

Thanks for telling me what I needed to know, Powerslave.

I'll start over on telling about the place Fire Maidens From Outer Space (or, Of Outer Space; I have seen it under both titles) has in the Garden of My Dreams and My Memories (thanks to Neil Merriweather for that phrase from "King of Mars," which was on the Space Rangers vinyl 33 & 1/3 RPM, the cover of which I saw, in a documentary on Forry's Ackermansion).

And, it was in FM that I first learned of Fire Maidens, either from, or of Outer Space.

The FM 1966 yearbook, which I bought in the late spring or early summer of 1965.

It was in Joe Dante's article, rewritten by Forry, and titled, Dante's Inferno, a list of the 50 Worst SFantasy films, and Fire Maidens was on the list.

What caught my attention was a still on a bottom corner of a page, of an "unfortunate" man who was killed by a "hot throat" in Fire Maidens.

I was horrified by the still and felt sorry for that unfortunate man, feeling that no one in the film seemed to have cared in the least about him, neither his daughters, the Fire Maidens, or the astronauts from Earth.

And, in all the reviews I've read of the film, only one reviewer has noted that sad fact.

Yes, I felt sorry for that "unfortunate" man, and if the film could have produced that feeling in me, it must have had some merit as a film.

Actually, it was seeing the still, more than the film, because in the film the "hot throat" happens so quickly the viewer doesn't really see it in detail, as I did dwelling on that still in the FM 66 Yearbook.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to watch this "classic" again and watch for the "hot throat" scene. Shocked

As for the unfortunate loss of your original draft of your post, I'm afraid
the "undo" command won't work on an All Sci-Fi post the way it does on (for example) Word documents. If you accidentally close a window or tab without having even hit "preview", you can't go back to it.

I've lost plenty of compositions during the fourteen years since I created the first version of All Sci-Fi in 2006. I often didn't know exactly why the composition was suddenly gone, but it was undoubtedly because I "somehow hit a wrong button", just as you did!

Sometimes the "back" button will return you to your composition window, but for some reason even that always work.

It's frustrating, I know.

Sometimes I'll stop and make a copy of the incomplete post to a Word document, just to be sure I have a backup until I've posted it. And I've even hit "submit" before I was finished — and then hit "edit" to work on it somemore — just to save what I've done (so far) so that it isn't lost. Shocked

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: One Of My All-Time Favorites Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
I spent a long time composing a long post about this film, and somehow hit a wrong button that wiped it out, and I don't know how to recover it.

If you plan on making a long post, it's best to compose the entire thing off-line using a basic word processor like WordPad, then copy-paste it to the board. That's what I always do.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Reply with quote

Thanks for the good, and helpful posts, Bud and scotpens.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Hot Throat Reply with quote

Bud, I've tried and think this photo has to be linked to a hosting site. I'll email you the Hot Throat photo, and maybe you can fix it better.

For now, the best I can do is post it to CHFB, at the following URL, and all of you other board members can scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the photo that horrified me so back in 1965, and made me feel for that poor man geteting a Hot Throat, but virtually no one else, character in the film, or fan or pro reviewer seems to care any more than anyone cared whatever happened to Baby Jane (as sung by Bette Davis).
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/fire-maidens-from-outer-space-t2714-s80.html#p1533705
[url][/url]
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: No One Really Cared Reply with quote

As with Baby Jane, as sung by Bette Davis No One (except for myself and possibly a few other movie goers) Really Cared What happened to that Poor Old Man who go the Hot Throat in Fire Maidens.

If this link doesn't work, go to the CHFB page in the previous post to this one on allsci-fi.com, and listen to and see Miss Davis singing those lyrics.https://youtu.be/wo_txjQ3EzY?t=82
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Link Does Work Reply with quote

Click on the link in my previous post, and it does take you to the Bette Davis song.

I'm tired of posting to the net, and need to go and work on my car, or do something else for awhile.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, is that what a "Hot Throat" is? I'm a bit disappointed. I thought maybe it was some kinky sexual thing.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:

Oh, is that what a "Hot Throat" is? I'm a bit disappointed. I thought maybe it was some kinky sexual thing.

Meh...

Guess it’s scarier when you’re a kid. Smile
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks For Reply with quote

Scotpens, thanks for getting the post here with no detour to CHFB needed.

And, trekriffic, I had also though about the hot throat being more horrifying to a youngster. It was so fast in the film itself, it could easily be overlooked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: