ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroes (2006 - 2010)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Heroes (2006 - 2010) Reply with quote

Before the Marvel & DC superheroes really became huge & prolific sensations in film & television we had the terrific sci-fi series Heroes.

Created by Tim Kring, Heroes ran from 2006~2010 for 4 seasons on NBC.

Ordinary people suddenly find themselves endowed with superhuman abilities.

The show was an enormous hit with both critics and viewers.
And it was a hit for me.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the cheerleader! Cool

I loved it. Spock was evil. (Well, it was same actor, at least . . . )

_____Save The Cheerleader, Save The World | Heroes

Lots more YouTube videos here.

The artwork was terrific, too.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia:

Creator/producer Tim Kring originally designed his show to have an ever-shifting cast. However, he realized just how popular some of the original first season cast members were with the audience and ended up bringing back many of the first season cast for the second season.

The idea for the show came to Tim as he was pondering how big, scary and complicated the world is, so he wanted to do a character-driven series about people who could do something about it.

He would have ordinary people who discover that they now mysteriously possess extraordinary abilities, but the show would still be rooted in the real world.

Lost creator & friend, Damon Lindelof gave Tim invaluable ideas on how to pitch Heroes to the networks. Damon also told Tim about the lessons he learned when working on serialized television dramas.
Tim had worked for Damon on the TV show Crossing Jordan.

The writing team: each script writer took a specific character on Heroes and would write individual scenes surrounding that individual.

The stories were then combined and given to the episode writer.

This system allowed every writer to contribute to every episode, this in turn enabled the writing team to finish scripts sooner.
This would also allow the filming crew to shoot more scenes whenever they were on a location.

Several scripts had to be ready so that this process could be implemented in the serialized drama because one has to know where each character's development is heading.

Sidebar: I've never heard about such a writing system like Heroes had on any other TV shows. Seems clever that Tim devised it. It might not be a system applicable to every kind of TV series, but I wonder if there ever were some shows that would have benefited from such a system?

I'm thinking of shows that ended up behind schedule and ran into other problems. If they had adapted Tim's system of writing perhaps the show would have not fallen into a mess.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that Tim Krin (creator of Heroes) and Damon Lindelof (creator of Lost) were friends, but I loved those series . . . until the conclusions, which were both unsatisfactory (in my opinion).
Sad
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your opinion regarding the disappointing endings of Lost & Heroes, Bud.

In fact, I gave up on Lost after regularly watching it for the first 2 seasons. I found that the writers just piled on one mystery after another after another until I was "lost" as to what was going on. The premise became so convoluted & dense that it was no longer fun to watch it any longer.

I did manage to stick with Heroes until the end. The show started out so strong & promising with its first season. Then it went off the rails with its second season.

It was like watching a superb dancer perform (season one) and then watching them again (season two) and they keep stumbling as though they've forgotten how to dance anymore.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description of the unsatisfying experiences you had with both series parallels mine exactly.

The plot of Lost became frustrating because it was obvious the producers couldn't think of a good story, so they just jerked the audience around with meaningless plot elements!

Like you, I gave up well before the end. Rolling Eyes

Heroes teased me along until the end of season two, but I certainly wasn't pleased by the so-called conclusion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: