ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor X (1932)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Doctor X (1932) Reply with quote

Dr. Xavier (Preston Foster) works at a scientific research lab run by Lionel Atwill on Long Island. The police suspect Atwill of committing a series of cannibalistic murders, but the killings are actually the work of the evil Dr. X.

Fay Wray is the lovely heroine being stalked by the killer who, with the use of synthetic flesh, can turn himself into a monster.

Although it hasn't aged well, this is a great horror/science fiction tale, originally filmed in the early two-color process.

Special makeup effects were created by Max Factor, and the sets are by Anton Grot. One year later the same stars and director (Michael Curtiz) made "Mystery of the Wax Museum".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, look! I found the trailer on YouTube! It's starts right off with a woman's scream, a lightning bolt, and clap of thunder — so it must be a good movie!

Actually, the trailer does make it look good, and the picture quality is great.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has seven trivia items for this movie, several of which are interesting.

~ Contrary to Technicolor's edict, Warner Brothers also shot a black-and-white version of the film. The Technicolor version was shot by Ray Rennahan and the B&W version by Richard Towers. The camera angles of the the two versions are considerably different, with the Technicolor camera given priority for the best compositions. Two of these, for example, are Lee Tracy and Mae Busch in the house of prostitution scene and the sequence with Tracy in the skeleton room.

Note from me: I ran the CinemaScope and Todd-AO versions of Oklahoma simultaneously once, and there were often interesting differences in the composition.

~ For a time Warner Brothers did not have a print of the original Technicolor version and it was assumed to be lost. The Technicolor version was finally discovered and restored by the UCLA Archives.

Note from me: Film fans in mass can weep at all the "lost" films from days gone by. Sad

~ Jeff Martin of the band Racer X wrote the song "Dr. X" about this movie. To provide a clue, a lyric goes, "A scream from Fay, a Wray of moon."

Note from me: I've often noticed that rock song lyrics take great liberties with the English language. Rolling Eyes

~ This is the film for which Michael Curtiz is quoted as saying, "This will make your blood curl!"

Note from me: Mr. Curtiz took a small liberty here, too. Blood curdles. Hair curls. Smile

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I've often noticed that rock song lyrics take great liberties with the English language.

All English-language songwriters (rock or otherwise) have been granted a special exemption to use "lay" in place of "lie". This exemption was put to especially effective use by Bob Dylan in writing "Lay, Lady, Lay".

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

This is the film for which Michael Curtiz is quoted as saying, "This will make your blood curl!"

Note from me: Mr. Curtiz took a small liberty here, too. Blood curdles. Hair curls. Smile

Being Hungarian-born and not speaking English as a first language, Mr. Curtiz can be excused a few malapropisms.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Being Hungarian-born and not speaking English as a first language, Mr. Curtiz can be excused a few malapropisms.

Actually it sounds like a clever joke. A blood-curdling experience is bad. A blood-curling experience is even worse!

But of course the worst of all would be an experience that caused your hair to curdle! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find Curtiz listed among the great directors by film critics, but he was genuinely one of the greatest. Scan his output on the IMDb and you will be astonished at the number of award winning classics he made during the thirties and forties.

Besides Dr. X and Mystery of the Wax Museum, he was responsible for 20,000 Years in Sing Sing with Spencer Tracy, The Black Legion and Casablanca with Bogart, Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood with Flynn, Angels With Dirty Faces and Yankee Doodle Dandy with Cagney, The Sea Wolf with E.G. Robinson and his last picture, The Comancheros with Wayne. There is at least one movie for every genre in the book.

He made his first film in 1912 and his last in 1961, and even directed Presley in King Creole.

As for his malapropisms, they were genuine.

During the shooting of one of his films the director demanded "Bring me a poodle." No one ever questioned the mercurial Curtiz, so the next day someone brought a poodle to the set.

Curtiz exploded. He didn't want a poodle, he wanted a puddle of water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: