ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
What were McDonalds' sources for his version of the story?

That depends on several factors.

How far into the production did the Studio decide on having a novelization written for the movie.

How long did it take to find an author. Reportedly, several prominent science fiction Authors turned the job of writing the FP novelization down. At least one of them regretted the decision.

Discussions with the author on what is to be in the novel.

How faithful to the script did the Studio want the novel to be. What liberties can, or can't the Author take with the story.

How long would it take the author to write the novel.

How far along was the script, when the Studio assigned the Author.

When did the Studio want the novel to be released. Before, or after the film's release.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tintin meets Robby by Belgian cartoonist Georges Remi (Hergé):

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan art (artist unknown) showing the meeting between Terran astronauts and the last living Krell titled Pleased to Meet You:

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the best, clearest image of the residence I've seen.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I think this is the best, clearest image of the residence I've seen.

Check out page 43 oh this thread:

Color enhanced by Bud. For a larger version copy then enlarge. My large copy is 2,080 pixels wide by 340 pixels tall. This posted picture is 700 pixels wide by 115 pixels tall.

Bud specifies that all picture be no wider than 700 pixels.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eadie! Very Happy

For the record, on page 43 I did acknowledge that Eadie's jpeg above does indeed include details in the matte painting which my own best images do not! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with access to FACEBOOK I would recommend the page dedicated to FORBIDDEN PLANET located here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/48318178776/

Great commentary, photos and files.
Highly recommended.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I would greatly doubt that that book cover is authentic.

First of all there is no publishing company called "Peril Press". There IS an Ebay company by that name selling back issue comics and books.

Second, it looks as if the name of the company and the authors' name are photoshopped in.

That is not to say that some enterprising individual didn't create that cover and attach it to a private press company to print up copies using that cover and consisting of the pdf copies of the books' text.

I've thought how great it would be to get 100 or so copies printed up in that way, but also including illustrations and blueprint data to re-sell in the private market. However Copyright infringement charges could make such an effort a nightmare! Still … It could be done with only a few hundred dollar investment. Hum …

The book with that cover is from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19168796-forbidden-planet

Forbidden Planet
The Novelization of the Classic 1956 Sci-Fi Movie!

Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Inc., 1956
FORBIDDEN PLANET
by Philip MacDonald as W. J. Stuart

POWER-MAD DR. MORBIUS MUST BE STOPPED BEFORE HE ENSLAVES THE WORLD!

Commander Adams and the crew of Spaceship C-57-D land on Altair 4, the forbidden planet, where they hope to find the survivors of a previous expedition. But the only one they find is Dr. Morbius, a scientist with a deadly plan to take over the universe. Dr. Morbius warns the earthlings to leave at once.

But Commander Adams and his crew stay—despite the terrifying attacks on their spaceship. For they know that theirs is the last chance to stop a madman from becoming Master of the Universe.

Foreword
ONE Major (Medical) C. X. Ostrow
TWO Major (Medical) C. X. Ostrow (continued)
THREE Commander J. J. Adams
FOUR Commander J. J. Adams (continued)
FIVE Edward Morbius
SIX Major C. X. Ostrow
SEVEN Commander J. J. Adams
EIGHT Commander J. J. Adams (concluded)
Postscript

58,400 Words

About Philip MacDonald

Philip MacDonald (who some give as 1896 or 1899 as his date of birth) was the grandson of the writer George MacDonald and son of the author Ronald MacDonald and the actress Constance Robertson.

During World War I he served with the British cavalry in Mesopotamia, later trained horses for the army, and was a show jumper. He also raised Great Danes. After marrying the writer F. Ruth Howard, he moved to Hollywood in 1931. He was one of the most popular mystery writers of the 1930s, and between 1931 and 1963 wrote many screenplays along with a few radio and television scripts.

His detective novels, particularly those featuring his series detective Anthony Gethryn, are primarily "whodunnits" with the occasional locked room mystery. His first detective novel was 'The Rasp' (1924), in which he introduced his character Anthony Gethryn.

In later years MacDonald wrote television scripts for Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Malice Domestic, 1957) and Perry Mason (The Case of the Terrified Typist, 1958).

He twice received an Edgar Award for Best Short Story: in 1953, for Something to Hide, and in 1956, for Dream No More. Indeed many critics felt that his short story writing was superior to his novels and they did win five second prizes in the annual contests held by Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.

He also wrote under the pseudonyms Oliver Fleming, Anthony Lawless, Martin Porlock, W.J. Stuart and Warren Stuart.

AS an ebook, it is available from https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/forbidden-planet-philip-macdonald/1108368340

Product Details

BN ID: 2940014016520
Publisher: Peril Press
Publication date: 01/24/2012
Sold by: Barnes & Noble
Format: NOOK Book
Sales rank: 124,539
File size: 1 MB

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fan art. Four by "Dr. Misty Tang":

One by by "Dr. Zime":

The Forbidden Planet Hall of Fame:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, you're the greatest! Cool

Images that are not overly large, text that is size=20 to make it easier to read . . . what a beautiful post!

Thank you! Very Happy

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found in my Godfather's files War of the Robots by Edoardo Parise:

Happy Birth Day Dad! (He is 71 today.)

[Sorry but some of his pictures just won't resize on my PC.]

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Scenic Backdrops Reply with quote

Rescuing scenic backdrops from Hollywood's Golden Age

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rescuing-scenic-backdrops-from-hollywoods-golden-age/

They're just paint and canvas, but in Hollywood's Golden Age, painted backdrops played a vital role in the magic of movies, creating cities, sunsets, or anything else a director could imagine.

Art professor Karen Maness appreciates every brushstroke. "The backdrop is part of extending the world of the set," she said. "Often times it was just seen outside windows. But sometimes it even included the entire world of a set on a sound stage and creating that environment."

Take The Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy opens the door into a Technicolor world: "That first view of Oz, of that village, to see that entire space shaped by paintings."

Maness is co-author of "The Art of the Hollywood Backdrop" — art, she says, that's often gone unappreciated. Though impressive, it was designed to be "invisible."

Nonetheless, she said, these backdrop paintings are "some of the largest paintings ever created by exceptionally skilled artists — never recognized, never credited, and part of what makes cinematic history and these films extraordinary."

Many people may have paintings at home on the wall that family members have done. Lynne Coakley has a bunch — really BIG ones.

Coakley's great-grandfather was a scenic artist for M-G-M in the 1930s. Her grandfather and father followed him into the business. Their backdrops (or backings, as they're called in the industry) gave luster to movies like The Sound of Music. They painted recreations of on-location settings that were sometimes just seen through doors and windows on a soundstage.

"Both my grandfather and my father painted this backing, along with seven other ones that were used around the gazebo, at the convent," Coakley said.

Correspondent John Blackstone asked, "What makes this look so realistic?"

"The textures, the details, the color is all correct. It's just a really beautifully painted backing," she replied.

In 1962 her family founded the JC Backings Corporation, to paint and supply backdrops for movies and TV shows. They bought hundreds of backdrops from M-G-M, 20th Century-Fox and Disney.

"A lot of the studios in the '70s and the '80s just were getting rid of all of their backdrops," Coakley said. "They just, you know, didn't want to have it anymore."

A prized acquisition: the famous Mt Rushmore backdrop. "From down here, we can believe we're looking up at that mountain, at those heads," said Blackstone.

"You want to climb it?' Coakley laughed.

Their backdrop from the 1959 movie Ben-Hur features a vista of ancient Rome — and in 2016 it was seen again in the Coen brothers' movie, Hail, Caesar!

"Backings are happiest being on a stage and being used," Coakley laughed. "They're not happy when they're rolled up in a dark little spot down below in a storage warehouse."

One backing must be awfully content! It began life in the 1949 film The Fountainhead; then, it provided a view of New York City for 11 seasons on The Jeffersons, until it wore out and was repainted.

Coakley said it's already been rented out 30 times, to such shows as Felicity, the original Roseanne, and The Practice.

For Coakley, who is now president of JC Backings, hand-painted backdrops are more than family heirlooms. They still make up about a third of JC Backings' rentals. But with new technology, Coakley's company also creates photo and vinyl backdrops that can be dazzling.

"If done well, a painted backdrop and a photographic backdrop should make no difference," said production designer Tom Walsh. He uses photographic backdrops on the set of the Fox TV series Deputy, but still likes things the old way.

"I still would prefer to always use a painted backdrop whenever possible, 'cause I think they light better," Walsh said. "And there's an interpretive aspect, a little, that you can bring into it."

Mary McNamara, culture columnist for the Los Angeles Times, first wrote about efforts to save old hand-painted backdrops that often were just thrown away.

"As the industry itself is changing, and the way they make movies changes, there is this feeling that we need to start thinking about preserving the old things," she said.

"What's lost when a lot of these artifacts disappear?" asked Blackstone.

"Well, the tangible history of Hollywood,' McNamara replied. "And also, some of these things are works of art in themselves."

Even Lynne Coakley had more painted backdrops than she needed when the company moved to new quarters.

"I knew I had some backings I just really didn't need to move with me, because of the fact that, you know, they had never rented, or have never seen the light of day, or they're so specific," she said.

Coakley explained her dilemma to Tom Walsh, who told her, "'Well, you know, we don't do that thing anymore with these things. These are to be preserved.' And then of course, opening my big, fat mouth, I realized, 'All right, how you gonna follow up on that?'"

So, Walsh created the Backdrop Recovery Project. With the help of Maness and Coakley, they catalogued more than 200 backdrops.

"We didn't know what we were gonna get," said Maness. "Every time we opened up a backdrop, we weren't quite sure what it would be."

"One in particular, there was an old sort of vaudeville drop," said Walsh. "And no one knew what it was from, really. And we opened it up. And I went, 'I've seen that drop.'" It was from the classic musical Singin' in the Rain.

"It was like seeing an old friend — exhilarating," Maness said.

Other backdrops were from a different orbit, like this one from Forbidden Planet.

Walsh said, "And then it was my job to go around the world and try and find people that would take [them]: 'Hey, you want a little 90-foot-wide piece of art for your wall?' But, lo and behold, it worked!"

Some went to museums, some to institutions, like the University of Texas at Austin, where Karen Maness uses them to inspire her students.

"It's thrilling to see my students learning from these ghosts," Maness said.

Walsh is still looking for homes for some 60 backdrops, but he's pleased with their progress.

They're finding a new life as teaching tools, or as bits of inspiration," he said. "I mean, there is a life after death for the art of Hollywood."

Other links at site

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great article, Eadie! Thanks for posting it. I've never seen that photo of the cyclorama painting before!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are some new images from the vault.

Were the Talosians remnents of the Krell?

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1956 Helldorado Parade in Las Vegas NV:

Robby gambles?:

Getting a drink (lube oil?):

Robby finds an unwelcome pool guest:

Due to pool repair costs Robby NEEDS a job:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 112 of 143

Jump to: