ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was told I'd made the scavenger hunt too easy, so I stopped providing a "page range" to narrow your search!

But I guess that made it too hard, 'cause there are four clues which have been ignored for a full week! Sad

Come on, guys, get us caught up and I promise the game will be over when I've used all 25 of the clues I've prepared.

And the "page ranges" are back! Laughing

Forbidden Planet Scavenger Hunt!

Clue #9

Find a man who seems to be sleeping on the job! (Located on pages 1 through 5)

Clue #10

Find Robby doing something that's very appropriate on Valentine's Day! Very Happy (Located on page 1 through 5)

Clue #11

Find a miniature of Robby that is made entirely of melted sand! (Located on page 20 through 25)

Clue #12

Find a photo of Robby doing what Bret Maverick does best! Cool (Located on pages 35 through 40)
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the missing element of CONTEXT into why the 'Forced Perspective' was purposely created. Why it was placed as a subliminal message into the set design for this sequence of framed shots in the movie:

Last edited by Bob Tarmac on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud: This is what I see with that mystery panel. It looks to me as though part of it is the underside of the third [righthand] ramp. The rest of it seems to be Studio Set plywood, painted gray so as to match the ship, and as cover up for not having enough studio set to make the camera shot from that far left angle.

What do you guys think?

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think you're right! Looks like to get the shot at the angle they wanted they ran out of cyclorama and just put in a painted masking piece!

Today CGI would take care of it. Come to think about it they would use CGI instead of the cyclorama!

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord: Agreed. But CGI would have killed the classic feel of this movie. Real retro is much better than any CGI. I very much enjoy your keen mind on this stuff. Smile
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand, it seems ridiculous that the director would insist on having the camera placed in a spot that allowed the right end of the cyclorama to be visible, and then have that big, obvious panel set up to hide the fact!

But wait a minute . . . is it really obvious? Well, none of us had ever noticed it until Butch pointed it out in August 2014, both here and on the Classic Horror Film Board.

Despite the fact that the gray panel is blatantly obvious to us now, we all failed to notice it for 60 years prior to that!

Once we determined that the cyclorama wasn't wide enough for a shot from that angle, we noticed that shots like this one —

— were set up to prevent the camera from revealing the end of the cyclorama. The pictures below shows just where the cyclorama ended.

The image below this screen shot is the version I created with MS Paint for the original ASF discussion back in 2014 to show what the scene would have looked like if the cyclorama had been wider.

The part I painted is surprisingly crude when viewed close up. This was done six years ago, and I've gotten much better at this stuff since then. In fact, originally I goofed and painted over the third ramp in back, as shown below! But I later fixed it in the full version above.

Now, guys, I'm afraid I have some bad news. Yesterday I discovered something that is very troubling.

All the posts that were added to the "new" board (in other words, this one) during the first five months of All Sci-Fi's activation in 2014 after the old board finally crashed . . . are gone!

I wondered why the August 2014 discussion about the gray panel was not on the thread. I discovered that the first post on the Forbidden Planet thread is dated September 2014 — even though this board started in March 2014!

I used Find all posts by Bud Brewster, and verified that my posts start in December 2013 when the new board was first created by Randy and me. We transferred many things from the old board to this one, and then we deactivated it and waited until the old board finally crashed.

However, the dates of my posts skip from December 2013 (when I spent two weeks transferring posts) to September 2014!

So, everything I posted on the newly activated ASF from March to September is gone! I checked Randy Everett's posts, and his list of post also skips from December 2013 to September 2014.

In Butch's initial August 2014 post, he showed us the gray panel — but that post is also gone, along with the LONG discussion the members had about what it was created for.

I have no explanation for this tragic loss of data.

I know this didn't happen recently, but I have an idea WHY it happened. The glitch might have something to do with the fact that I managed to acquire the ASF database from Servage (the server service we used until a few months after Randy died), after Randy's crazy son Sean destroyed the board his father and I created.

A few weeks after moving the board to my own server, Servage did something strange to their servers which caused the board to suddenly have weird symbols in place of certain punctuation marks.

When I demanded that they fix it, they tried using a backup database that was ten days old! We lost all the posts during that time (including most of the Great Morbius House Debate). Sad

It's possible that this bit the mismanagement by Servage (or some other similar screw-up) caused more damage than we previously thought.

I guess we'll never know. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I feel about Forbidden Planet:

Super 8 film:

Is this a Krell bench on the terrace?

Krell lab showing floating light disks:

The living area set:

Plastic educator controls extreme close-up:

Frank Shugrue study set still:

Robby's head rear detail:

Chest box (AKA "heart box") close-up:

Promotional Robby clone in Paris, France:

Reference still of Krell library:

Rockin Alta, Robby with jukebox:

NEXT: pics from The Twilight Zone [30 minute episodes] and Twilight Zone [1 hour episodes] of sets & scenes that should be in a complete Forbidden Planet restoration.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics from The Twilight Zone [30 minute episodes] and Twilight Zone [1 hour episodes] of sets & scenes that should be in a complete Forbidden Planet restoration.

From Twilight Zone Death Ship E-89 fly-by:

In orbit:

Early morning rake-off:

Crew identification:

Landing:

Shared quarters (1 for Doc & Farman, 1 for Quinn 7 Bosun):

Surface scanner:

Window:

From Twilight Zone Death Ship Galaxy-6 unfinished model bottom:

Auxilliary service gangway:

Commander's quarters (shared quarters similar):

Forbidden Planet gangway ("main hatch"):

Gangway ramp top:

Support strut (3):

From The Twilight Zone The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street cargo ramp top:

Third From the Sun night scene (lights to illuminate the C-57-D; mentioned in the novel):

From The Twilight Zone Third From the Sun WC and or brig:

From The Twilight Zone The Invaders blank ramp:

From The Twilight Zone Third From The Sun service ports:

What do the gang think?
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Eadie!

I've never seen most of them!

Thanks Kid!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Eadie, what a great tribute to the various Twilight Zone episodes we enjoyed in the 1960s which thrilled us with glimpses of Forbidden Planet props used to create great special effects. Very Happy

When I was a handsome young teenager in the 1960s (several years younger than you, amazingly enough Shocked), I was thrilled whenever I saw the scenes liked the ones depicted in your wonderful images above.

Having seen this great movie when it was first released, and then having watched it again several times on local channels and at various presentations of churches in Atlanta for their youth groups using rented 16mm prints, I was very familiar with this movie by the time I was 19 years old, just before I went into the Air Force for four years!

In the middle 1960s I used this modest little camera —

— to take pictures off a movie screen with my friends when we went to see Jason and the Argonauts (none of which came out . . . ) and then a few years later from my family's B&W television when a local channel showed Forbidden Planet[/color]!

Here's an example of what I got!

Okay, so the pictures sucked . . . Sad

But I was thrilled by the results just the same! Sad

However, I'm even more thrilled by the great images being posted here on All Sci-Fi, and I'm extremely grateful to our fine members for sharing their own material on our beloved board! Very Happy

Bob Tarmac
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!!! Great post Eadie! Many of these I've never seen before. Please keep them coming!!! Smile
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "The Twilight Zone" they greatly reduced the size of the saucer set and shortened the gangplank. By altering the angle of the gangplank, they also had to rebuild the stairs to maintain the proper angle, so the actors wouldn't go tumbling down the stairs.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mystery. In the pic below, the shutters were closed. So Why can't we see the plants outside the house?

The Id monster concept art from the 1997 unfinished movie:

Robby fan art:

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this pic from above?:

Proof that they goofed; shutters closed, NO outside plants visible:

We missed one decoration in the house, flowers on the coffee table between the two sofas in the living area:

'Uncle' Bud, do you have a color picture? I don't.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
A mystery. In the pic below, the shutters were closed. So Why can't we see the plants outside the house?

I'm not sure I understand the question, Eadie.

If the shutters were closed, the "outside plants" would be on the other side of them. And the shutters aren't showing in this picture anyway, so they aren't closed.

Second of all this is a just a publicity still (not a screen shot), so it isn't really a scene from the movie.

Besides, those frosted windows don't allow a clear view of what's outside anyway.

Eadie wrote:
Proof that they goofed; shutters closed, NO outside plants visible:

Goofed how? The plants are outside, on the other side of the shutters. As the other picture in your posts shows, this is what that part of the room looks like when the shutters are closed.

Eadie wrote:
We missed one decoration in the house, flowers on the coffee table between the two sofas in the living area:

'Uncle' Bud, do you have a color picture? I don't.

Nice catch, Hawkeye! I've never noticed that one before!

I had to get out the DVD and find the shot below to make the screen shoots. It appears too be a bowl filled with daisy blossoms. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 123 of 143

Jump to: