ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for the name of a novel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garthoz
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Looking for the name of a novel Reply with quote

Around fifty years ago I read a novel based on the exploits of a man who’d come into possession of a mysterious watch which, when he activated it, changed time for him. His world moved much faster - everything else, including people, appeared to stand still. The story detailed all of the stuff he became involved with and was fascinating. It WASN’T about time travel (so far as I can remember). I don’t know what it was called or who wrote it. Can anyone help?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book your looking for is The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything by Jolhn D. MacDonald. author of the famous Travis McGee novels. Click on the image below to get a copy from Amazon for $16.00. Cool

Or you can get a copy of the 1962 edition I have for $8.46 from eBay (which includes the $4.00 shipping cost). Very Happy

Being a writer and editor (as stated in your profile), you're well aware that Mr. MacDonald mostly wrote crime dramas, but he also wrote several very good sci-fi novels as well.

Welcome to All Sci-Fi, your Friendly, Full-Service Message Board!
Always open, but Coronavirus safe! _

Garthoz, we hope you'll visit us so often your significant other threatens to leave if you don't get off the computer and start paying more attention to her!

(But you'll be so busy enjoying ASF that you won't notice the complaining . . . or even the sound of the front door slamming!) Laughing

Click here to Take the Grand Tour and get to know All Sci-Fi!
It contains all our deepest, darkest secrets!

(Or it would, it we had any . . . Rolling Eyes)

By the way, in 1980 a TV movie was made that starred Robert Hays and Pam Dawber. If was a modest version of the great story. We have a thread for the movie at the link below (as of today, thanks to you, Garthoz, after I realized we needed one!)

The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything (1980 TV)

Here's the television promo and the full movie, copied directly from a recording made by the new technological miracle called the Video Cassette Recorder!

Someday everybody will have one in their own home!

Enjoy!
_

_ The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything 1980 TV promo

_ _______The Girl the Gold Watch and Everything

Garthoz
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: A Thank You Reply with quote

Thanks Bud - I’ll be able to sleep at night again now...
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite welcome, sir! Very Happy

As I mentioned in my email to you, I had fun putting together the reply by including the links to Amazon, eBay, and YouTube.

And that made me realize that All Sci-Fineeded a thread for the 1980 TV movie. Cool

Since you liked The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything, I'm sure you'd enjoy MacDonald's two other science fiction novels, Wind of the Dreamers (1951) and Ballrooms in the Sky (1952). The links above are for the Wikipedia articles.

Ballrooms in the Sky is available on eBay for $3.50.

Wine of the Dreamers is available for $3.65.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: