ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Circut 2 (1988)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Short Circut 2 (1988) Reply with quote

If you liked the original Short Circuit, you won't hate this one, because it includes some (but not all) of the fun elements of the first film, along with one (but only one . . . ) of Short Circuit's cast members (Steven Fisher).

Plus it has that marvelous A.I robot, Johnny Five!

The climax is, I'm afraid, pretty lame — so be ready to have your hopes dashed if you expected the kind of great conclusion the first movie gave us. Sad

Here's the trailer to prepare your expectations.

________________ Short Circuit 2 Trailer 1988

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 26 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Producers wanted Steve Guttenberg (Newton Crosby in Short Circuit (1986)) to commit to the sequel without a script, but he declined. Twenty years later, Guttenberg expressed in an interview that he regretted turning down the chance to star in this film.

Note from me: Guttenberg is not my idea of a good actor, but he's likable enough in this movie and Cocoon. Having both him and Ally Sheedy in the sequel would have helped this somewhat weak movie.

~ In 2013, a remake of the original film was announced as being in development. Fisher Stevens stated his interest in returning. The proposed remake was said to be darker in tone than the original movies.

Note from me: This is just my opinion, but I think a 2013 remake was a bad idea. Short Circuit 1 and 2 were distinctly "1980s" movies, a product of the culture during that decade's lighthearted cinematic sci-fi movies.

The year 2013 gave us movies like Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Star Trek Into Darkness, and World War Z! :shock;

Do those movies seem to fit well with a frothy comedy about funny robot that yearns to be loved and accepted as a citizen of America? (It's a trick question, guys. The answer is obviously, "Hell no!" Shocked)

~ Jack Weston's final film. He worked on this project after production was completed on his previous films, Dirty Dancing (1987) and Ishtar (1987). After completing production on this film, Weston retired from acting. He passed away on May 3, 1996 at the age of seventy-one.

Note from me: My all-time favorite Jack Weston role is his hysterical drunken sailor in in the 1961 comedy starring Steve McQueen (in his only comedy roles).

I own the DVD of that wonderful movie.

~ After the events of the first movie, Nova Robotics was shut down and the remaining robots were destroyed.

Note from me: Yeah, right! Rolling Eyes

A company which developed autonomous, self-aware robots would actually shut down after its own product went out into the world and proved its sentience by defeating a quasi-military unit which tried to destroy it! Shocked

Good God . . . that is ridiculous! Rolling Eyes

~ David Hemblen previously starred in the short lived science fiction series Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future (1987) as the main antagonist — Lord Dread, a quasi-cyborg.

Note from me: I love that great series, and Mr. Hemblen was magnificent in the role of the villain! Very Happy

~ A 3rd Short Circuit movie never happened due to poor Box Office results. Short Circuit 3 would have centered around Captain Skroeder, who learns Johnny 5 was not destroyed at the end of the first movie, and that he has become a celebrity.

Captain Skroeder sets out to get his revenge on Johnny 5, because he blames Johnny 5 for his firing from Nova Robotics.

Note from me: Frankly, Captain Skroeder was not all that great in the first movie, and a sequel that featured his character in a major role is a bad idea. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first movie, but this sequel was weak. Even so, it was still enjoyable. I missed Ally Sheedy. I even missed Steve Guttenberg a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: