ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GFI / G~Force Intergalactic (1993 - 1994)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: GFI / G~Force Intergalactic (1993 - 1994) Reply with quote

G~Force Intergalactic was another proposed sf television series created by Gerry Anderson in late 1993 and throughout 1994.

Premise : GFI is a rapid response task force formed by the President of United Planets to combat major crime and large scale disasters.

GFI operates from Star City, a hidden base beneath the surface of an asteroid orbiting the Myson planetary system.

G-Force was comprised of three specialized vehicles : Whizz Kid, a single-seater high-speed reconnaissance space craft; CADILLAC (Computer Assisted Design with Integral Logic Linked Automated Construction), a long-range space transporter with an on-board construction facility that can build any specialized rescue equipment required; and Star Car, a multi~purpose light transporter.

This was to be a cel~animated series.

Some intriguing ideas here but the show's concept comes off as being more kid oriented for my taste.

The idea of a rapid response team to tackle disasters is similar to Gerry's other proposed sf TV show "Rescue 4." That works fine but then designating GFI as also fighting major crime seems like an odd match to their mission statement.

Kinda like having the fire/rescue crew of Jack Webb's "Emergency" TV series also be criminal investigators with the same duties as "Adam-12."

I could see a case for GFI performing a rescue operation and then investigating the cause of the disaster, just as firefighters seek the origins of why a fire started. But to have a rescue group combat all types of crime seems absurd. Wouldn't there be a law enforcement group for that purpose?

The GFI base being located inside an asteroid secretly appears like something out of an old time pulp serial or comic book. Corny for me.

The idea of different vehicles for different functions is a solid one.

I find the concept of the CADILLAC vehicle having an industrial facility capable of building any type of specialized rescue equipment a novel one. Imagine the vessel actually drawing up plans and then constructing their high tech rescue contraptions as they are journeying to a disaster. Talk about a nail-biter!

They would have to have an army of robots that would be able to work quickly and non-stop with the crew in order to pull this astonishing feat off. So, while I find some aspects to this series concept interesting, I also find other aspects camp.

I would take elements from CGI and blend 'em into Rescue 4 and make it more adult.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: GFI / G~Force Intergalactic (1993 - 1994) Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I find the concept of the CADILLAC vehicle having an industrial facility capable of building any type of specialized rescue equipment a novel one. Imagine the vessel actually drawing up plans and then constructing their high tech rescue contraptions as they are journeying to a disaster. Talk about a nail-biter!

That is indeed a great idea!

It would really show just how smart and innovative these guys are. And with a fast paced "construction montage" with jazzy music like we get in shows like The A-Team, we'd really be impressed by these guy's ability to manufacture something needed to complete a mission.

Pow wrote:
They would have to have an army of robots that would be able to work quickly and non-stop with the crew in order to pull this astonishing feat off. So, while I find some aspects to this series concept interesting, I also find other aspects camp.

A "construction montage" with great looking robots would definitely be cool. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: