ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pretender (1996 - 2000)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: The Pretender (1996 - 2000) Reply with quote

The Pretender debuted on September 19, 1996 on NBC and ran until May 13, 2000 lasting four seasons and accumulating 86 episodes.

Two TV-movies followed and aired on TNT in 2001 and 2013.

The show was produced by MTM Enterprises along with 20th Century Fox TV.

Jarod is a genius who has the ability to rapidly master the complex skill sets required to impersonate a member of any profession. Doctor, lawyer, military jet pilot, astronaut, oceanographer, geologist, detective, you name the profession and Jarod could master it after self-taught accelerated learning.

Jarod was a child prodigy who was brought to a think tank called the Centre located in Delaware. There he was raised and instructed by some of the finest minds the world have ever known.

After reaching adulthood Jarod was able to learn that the parents who raised him and handed him over to the Centre were not his birth parents.

Jarod also learned that the benevolent Centre was in reality a black ops organization ruthlessly remaking the world in its own image. And the supremely gifted Jarod was to become a key agent for their achieving power.

Wanting no part of their evil plans and having a desire to find his real parents Jarod escapes the Centre and goes on the run.

While searching for answers to his origin and the mendacious Centre's missions, Jarod uses his unique gifts to pursue his goals.

Along the way he also adopts many professions in order to target criminals who have gone undetected or unpunished in order to bring them to justice.

The Centre is frantic in their quest to recapture Jarod.
Miss Parker is in charge of tracking down Jarod and will let nothing stop her from doing so.

So Jarod must also manage to stay at least two-steps ahead of the Centre while on his own personal missions.

Kind of The Fugitive with sci~fi elements as part of the mix.

Many shows utilize that approach but few did it as well and as fun as The Pretender did.

Michael T.Weiss was terrific as Jarod where each week we saw him morph into some kind of highly skilled professional.

He would do so in order to unearth clues as to the truth about himself, the Centre, and to help others find justice when no one else would or could.

The show was a fun blend of sci~fi, espionage, mystery, and action adventure that made for an entertaining hour each week.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 seasons of The Pretender (85 of them) are available on Youtube™ Starting at:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRf1ic1jfFod9uOgezl3tkfJw9rChjvjt

Wikipedia™ article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_(TV_series)

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Mike (the Pow-man) for recommending this series, and to Miss Eadie (the Grande Dame of All Sci-Fi) for alerting me to that convenient source for all the episodes! Very Happy

Just think, guys . . . a year ago, I had to download this stuff, put it on a flash drive, plug it into my Blu-ray player, and then finally get to watch it on my TV. Sad

But now I can just tell my DISH voice remote to "Find The Pretender on YouTube" — and then binge-watch my bloody guts out!

God, I LOVE livin' in the 21st Century! Cool

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has an interesting trivia item about this series. Very Happy

~ This show was partially inspired by the life of Ferdinand Demara, Jr., a genius with an eidetic memory who could master any skill just by reading a book about it.

Note from me: Accord to the Wikipedia article, the man's full name was Ferdinand Waldo Demara. The movie based on his life is The Great Imposter (1960), starring Tony Curtis — an odd bit of casting, since Demara was 6 feet tall and weight 350 pounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: