ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) Reply with quote

A perfect example of a movie that can be enjoyed if the viewer knows what to expect. Sure it's low budget nonsense, but the humor in this camp little gem just couldn't be entirely unintentional.

The story involves a rich, unhappy woman (Allison Hayes) whose cheating husband only wants her money. While driving through the desert one night she is captured briefly by a giant, bald-headed alien. Twenty four hours later the woman grows to be fifty feet high (no explanation as to why). She strides into town, rips the roof off a local bar, and finds her husband smooching with Yvette Vickers (Playboy's Miss July 1959, and the sexpot cutey of "Attack of the Giant Leeches").

The special effects are poorly done, but you'll be rooting so hard for the victimized jumbo-woman you won't care about the technical flaws. The perfect ending for this story would have been for Miss Hayes to elope with the giant alien, thereby explaining his reason for enlarging her! Laughing

But alas, the filmmakers opted for a less entertaining conclusion. Too bad. Directed by Nathan Juran (under the name Nathan Hertz).

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 pm; edited 9 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowzer bowzer! What a great trailer for this less-than-great movie. I'll bet this thing had folks just itchin' to see it! Very Happy

_______ Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman - trailer (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at the LeRose when I was ten years old, at a time when I had very few sci-fi or horror films under my belt. I thought it was the worst movie I'd ever seen. And, at the time, it was probably fairly close to being that.

But when I saw it for the second time, on TV when I was 17, I was kind of shocked. Sure, it's a bad movie, but it's not a BAAAAAAD! movie.

What surprised me the most on that second viewing was how well acted it was. Allison Hayes, Yvette Vickers, William Hudson, even the guy who played the sheriff...they were all really good.

Of course the story was still silly and the effects were truly awful. But it ain't the worst of nuthin'.

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the female answer to the The Amazing Colossal Man of the previous year.

This time it's a message to all philandering husbands. Whereas the Colossal Man warned us of the dangers of the Atomic Era, this focuses on infidelity issues. The title character starts as a needy heiress who crosses paths with a visiting giant alien.

But, it's not this early encounter which makes her grow; no, being the flighty neurotic that she is, she seeks out the alien giant again later.

This is a short film, just 66 minutes. Keep in mind that it's not until the 38-minute mark that we first see a giant fake female hand. Until that point, it's all just a lurid soap opera. And it's not until the last 10 minutes that the giantess finally goes on a rampage.

A DVD of this film was released a couple of years ago, with an audio commentary by Yvette Vickers (who gives the better performance as the 'other' woman) and film historian Tom Weaver. The DVD was part of a Sci-Fi Cult Camp Classic set of 3 films.

50-foot Trivia: There was remake for TV in 1993 with Daryl Hannah.

BoG's Score: 2 out of 10

The 5th issue of Femforce (AC, 1986) did a take-off on the poster for its cover and the back cover was a supposed follow-up film to the original, as if it starred Sybil Danning in the eighties.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogmeister wrote:
A DVD of this film was released a couple of years ago, with an audio commentary by Yvette Vickers (who gives the better performance as the 'other' woman) and film historian Tom Weaver. The DVD was part of a Sci-Fi Cult Camp Classic set of 3 films.

I'd love to hear that commentary by Yvette and Tom. His commentary for Queen of Outer Space with Laurie Mitchell is a true delight, and I'll bet Tom brought out some wonderful remarks by Miss Vickers as well. Very Happy[

However, Amazon says the triple feature which Bogmester mentions is "currently unavailable". Very Happy

But here's a few new thoughts about the movie. Very Happy

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: I've always felt that the producers of this movie missed a golden opportunity.

They never bothered to answer this burning question: Why did the alien cause Miss Haye's size to expand and eventually match his own? Shocked

~ My Theory: The answer is obvious! He wanted a woman his own size . . . for the same purpose all men want women! Shocked

The climax (pardon the term . . . ) for this movie should have had the alien return and invite his newly enlarged girlfriend to share a life of luxury as they toured of the galaxy! Cool

"Good bye, Harry . . . you puny little wimp! I've found a real man who knows how to treat a lady." Very Happy

(Surely a few of you folks can offer some interesting replies! Like, how 'bout a sequel called, Attack of the 50 Foot Mommy Who Brings the Kids Home For a Visit?)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 24 trivia items for this production, but the only interesting one are listed below. Sad

~ The giant bald space alien is played by Michael Ross. He can also be spotted playing the bartender.

Note from me: So, this movie might actually be called, Attack of the 50 Foot Bartender!

~ Both of the film's leading ladies met with unfortunate ends. Allison Hayes died at the age of 46 due to lead poisoning from calcium pills she had been taking, while Yvette Vickers' mummified body was discovered in her home in 2011.

Although she was 82, the evidence suggested that she had died of natural causes and the body lay undiscovered for over a year.

Note from me: Tragic endings for two lovely ladies. Miss Hayes died because her medication contained a toxic chemical, and Miss Vickers died because . . . well, she had no friends who cared about her physical condition. Sad

~ An early '50s GM woodie was destroyed instead of the '58 Plymouth wagon. That woodie wagon would be actually worth ten times the value of the Plymouth in the 2015 market.

Note from me: One can never tell when an item they possess will later become extremely valuable.

For example, back in the 1980s I owned an issue of Marvel's Amazing Fantasy #15 (the first Spider-Man comic), along with a Hulk #1 and Thor #1.

I sold them all as part of a footlocker filled with comic books at an Atlanta Comi-Con . . . for $800.

The Amazing Fantasy #15 was sold for over $5,700,000 at Heritage Auctions on February 24, 2016.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Sets World Record Price in Heritage Auctions’ $5.7 Million Vintage Comics Auction

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, the Amazing Fantasy sold for $150,000. The ENTIRE collection of a couple hundred books sold for the $5.7 million.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. The article is misleading. I'm not surprised that I got a bit mixed up. The title specifically states "Amazing Fantasy #15 Sets World Record Price in Heritage Auctions’ $5.7 Million Vintage Comics Auction".

Okay, so I guess that was the total prices of all the comics auctioned. I got that now. But I checked the QC Comic Price Guide and it states this.

What's Amazing Fantasy #15 worth in 2021?

The value of Amazing Fantasy #15 in Mint condition is well over $1,000,000. The last CGC NM+ 9.6 sold in 2011 for $1,100,000. That same copy would most likely sell for at least $1,500,000 today.

So, the "near mint" copy that set the record would certainly go for more than $150,000, as you mentioned. In fact, the article states this.

A copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, the 1962 first appearance of Spider-man, sold at Heritage Auctions in Dallas on Feb. 18, 2016 for $454,100, a record price at public auction for the comic.

That clearly contradicts the above statement above which says, "The last CGC NM+ 9.6 sold in 2011 for $1,100,000."

Perhaps the statement below lead you to think of the $150,000 figure you quoted. It's the only amount in the article that's close to that figure.

The original cover art for Daredevil #9, by fan favorite Wally Wood, sold for $149,375.

Anyway, Gord, I'm not overly impressed with the author of the article. I blame him for all this confusion . . . not us! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: