ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Man from Planet X (1951)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rate "The Man from Planet X (1951)"
Ten
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Eight
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Seven
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Six
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Five
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Four
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Three
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Two
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
One
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

DrMoreau
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: The Man from Planet X (1951) Reply with quote

The MAN from PLANET X (1951)

Release Date: April 27, 1951
Cast: Robert Clarke, Margaret Field, Raymond Bond, William Schallert
Writer(s): Aubrey Wisberg and Jack Pollexfen
Director: Edgar G. Ulmer

A scientist in a deserted castle in the Scottish Moors discovers the existence of Planet X,
a rogue planet that is coming dangerously close to Earth's Orbit. An advanced scout ship
crash lands in the bogs just out from the castle, but is the alien friend or foe?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread-starter, Doctor M! Thanks.

This is a pretty good movie considering the low budget and brief shooting schedule. And the concept is quite original. I have the DVD and I enjoy it from time to time.

Sally Fields' mother is quite attractive, too
. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
ShadowLandz100
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This being the first SciFi movie at 6 years old along with my dad and uncle in 1950 this is my favorite movie, so whenever I saw this movie I made a promise to myself that one day I will own a model of this alien and thanks to the Cultman's hobby shop I was able to get this resin model.

The model is solid resin and some considerable scratch building was required to make him light up like in the movie that included building a new chest box and an on and off switch with interior lighting and busy stuff inside and a light inside the helmet shinning into the alien's face ( I feel sorry for the actor ).

The air hose was also scratch built as the one in the kit are solid resin as I needed a hollow hose for the electrical wiring and O ring material was used by making tiny O rings were glued together with a hose in the center for the wiring.

For the power, two air tanks were made to keep the two AA batteries on the aliens back with easy access to replace the batteries all in all this was a very challenging project which was a joy to do.

Karl

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowlandz100, that is one impressive model. I'm sure you have other creations to share with us in our Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas — which is currently empty, thanks to the demise of the old board! Sad

Help! Shocked

Now, about your model of the original X-Man! Very Happy The teeny-tiny light on his little-bitty face — love the shadows and highlights! Awesome . . .

__

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
ShadowLandz100
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bud, I tried to duplicate the facial expressions but I came a close 2nd, yea I have some models to share with the gang. Karl
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun movie, and it's a shame that the various versions of the poster aren't very good —

— especially in view of the fact that the artist had a fine reference photo to work with. I guess he just wasn't very talented.

Oddly enough, a poster was created which used the photo instead of the bad artwork, and it looks a little better — except for the unappealing yellow background and the black & white figures. Sad

I found this poster by some other artist and realized that a little creative manipulation with Paint.net might yield some interesting results. Very Happy

So, I used the figure above and combined it with the poster below —

— to create a somewhat improved version.

Notice that I couldn't resist putting the head shot of ShadowLandz100's great model in the porthole, in place of the simple drawing. Very Happy

And finally, I'll throw in this shot just because I found it while looking for posters and thought you folks would like it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 7 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a great movie comic adaptation of this film published by Fawcett Comics back in the 50's.

A great post of the B&W art of the whole story can be found here:

https://pappysgoldenage.blogspot.com/2012/12/number-1289-man-from-planet-x.html

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Gord! Very enjoyable!

Thanks Very Happy

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this!
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

____________ "The Man From Planet X" Trailer

The DVD of this little Sci-Fi feature was released way back in 2001. Some may have their laughs as the cheap sets are unveiled in the early sections of the picture, but it seems like I was a bit surprised at the entertainment value of this subpar fifties sci-fi tale.

About 20 minutes in I noted how much this movie resembled a strange dream one might have on a Saturday evening. The whole plot is about a runaway planet moving closer towards Earth, and not too many people are aware of it. Just the inhabitants of this misty island — like some errant volleyball. Maybe we can dropkick it away?

It plays a bit with your mind, and the tricks of perspective are always a little off, like in your dreams. Many viewers find the alien to be a bit creepy — and he (she?) did effectively startle the female cast member.

Just to veer briefly to director Edgar Ulmer and his other works, his best work may be The Black Cat from 15 years earlier (starring Karloff & Lugosi), which means all his later work in the fifties must be regarded as inferior.

However, this little film, in terms of atmosphere, reminded me of that earlier film. The star of this one, Robert Clarke, also starred in Ulmer's later work, Beyond the Time Barrier (1960).

Of the actors, William Schallert, well known these days as the nice guy in many such films — see also the Disney comedy The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes for the prototypical nice Schallert role — stands out as the vicious villain of the piece!

His attack on the alien still disturbs me a bit, after all these years. Shocked

BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoG included an interesting painting in his post above, but the jpeg of it certainly doesn't do this fine work of art justice.

I found a larger version, but it was just as washed out, so I brewsterized it with some enhancements. The artist's name is Harley Brown!

I went looking for more of Mr. Brown's work, and I was delighted by what I found! Smile

Behold! (Click on each image to see a larger version so can study the magnificent brush strokes.)

_________

_________

_________
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job on that painting, Bud!
Love it!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems with this movie pertain to both its bad science and its bad story telling.

Consider: Planet X is supposedly zooming through space, and it's the home to a dying race. The lone alien is here to make some kind of preparations for an alien invasion.

What kind of perparations?

We never find out. What's he supposed to do out in the middle of the Scottish moors to make this invasion happen?

In the climax, Planet X races passed Earth and back out into space. The dying race makes no attempt to evacuate to Earth, much less invade it. To make matters worse, the FX of the planet's passage shows it zoom straight at us, them making a U-turn and racing away again.

It looks dramatic, I'll admit, but it's certainly not very accurate from a cosmic point of view. Watch it on the YouTube video below at the 1:08:30 mark.

This movie doesn't give us much to debate and discuss . . . Sad

____________ The Man from Planet X (1951)

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be hard for the Aliens to invade a planet where they can't breath the atmosphere. They would be stuck living in sealed bunkers, which is not a good condition for ruling a world, where if they breach your walls, you loose your atmosphere.

But then, they might not have wanted to rule Earth, just have a place to live. With their planet roaming through space, they would be used to living in a sealed environment. Living on a planet with a hostile atmosphere may be preferable to aimlessly wandering the universe without end.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting these Thinking Outside the "Plot"! questions for the last few weeks, but I haven't gotten many replies!

Not only did you rise to the challenge with a magnificent response, you even came up concepts I completely overlooked! Shocked

I agree 100% with your analysis of the situation — and I wish I'd thought of that stuff myself.

David, I hope you and our other members will take a look at the Thinking Outside the "Plot"! posts at the links below and apply your keen analytic skills to the questions I've posed. Cool

Donavan's Brain

Invasion of the Body Snathers

The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)

The Cyclops (1957)

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)

Devil Girl from Mars (1954 England)

Invaders from Mars (1953)

The Monolith Monsters (1957)

Phantom from Space (1953)

Kronos (1957)

20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)

It Came from Outer Space (1953)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

When Worlds Collide (1951)

Destination Moon (1950)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: