ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Green Hornet (1966 - 1967)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Additional GH Fun Facts } Britt's garage had a revolving floor.
On on the top side he would park his white convertible in a normal fashion.

When the BB was needed,Kato would operate some buttons on a tool board on the wall of the garage.

That would cause clamps to rise from the floor in the front & back of Britt's car & lock onto it.
The floor would then rotate with the BB having been stored on the underside of the floor.

A totally impractical arrangement, of course. Can you imagine what would happen to the crankcase oil and other fluids when a car is stored upside down like that?
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The revolving garage floor scene in Reid's garage where the Black Beauty was covertly stored looks really cool.

However, it makes no sense as being realistically feasible for either auto.

If they were to reboot TGH for a brand new TV series they'd best drop that idea.

Perhaps having the floor rise upwards on a hydraulic system with Britt's white convertible going upwards and the BB on a floor beneath it could work.

Not as cool looking but certainly more practical.

Last edited by Pow on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I fear I cannot concur! Sad

Let's consider this logically, with a full appreciation for the mechanicall skills of Britt Reid and Kato.

Are we seriously suggesting that the brilliant team who designed and built the Black Beauty — with all its magnificent innovations — can't modify the two automobiles to prevent the fluids from draining out when they're inverted? Shocked

Come ON, guys! Pa — lease! Rolling Eyes

For someone to suggest that The Green Hornet garage wouldn't work because "normal cars" couldn't be stored upside down is what we call "a rookie mistake"! Shocked

Remember, these are men who also built the garage itself, with the clamps which secured the two cars, and the rotating garage floor that bore the weight of the two vehicles! Shocked

I'm surprised that you gentlemen seem think that Britt and Kato assumed either of the vehicles could be stored upside down without making mechanical modifications which prevented the problems you've described! Shocked

Shame on both of you!

(Just kidding, of course.) Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Bud, you're a hoot-an-a-half.

Watching a 007 film years ago they had a scene where some evildoers were trapped in a sedan in a junkyard when one of those giant magnets lowered itself onto the roof of the vehicle.

The sedan was then lifted up and the crane holding the magnet was swung over the large junkyard compacter where the car was dropped into. Bye-bye bad guys.

Made me wonder, if Britt Reid's garage floor could actually double as a super-duper powerful magnet that was able to keep both vehicles secured to the floor?

When the floor revolves the magnet on the side of the floor that is facing up in the garage can be released so that that particular vehicle can drive off of it.

I know. Still have the issue of what is happening with all of the vehicle's fluids.

Also, what would such a powerful magnet do to each cars's sensitive computer systems and anything else mechanical in the cars.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, please forgive me, but you're overthinking a simple problem! Sad

The junkyard magnet scene was in Goldfinger. A Lincoln Congenital was picked up by the junkyard magnet and dropped into the crusher so it would destroy the car and kill a lone gangster inside who defied Goldfinger.

_______________ Lincoln Continental Crushed

Then again, maybe you're thinking of the scene in You Only Live Twice, in which a car filled with henchmen is picked up by a magnet suspended from a helicopter and dropped into Tokyo Bay.

__ You Only Live Twice - Just a Drop In the Ocean

Either way, the magnet idea for the Green Hornet garage doesn't address the problem of the leaking fluids.

The cars are held by clamps, and the fluids could easily be contained within the inverted cars with the simple addition of the same kind of seals ON THE TOP SIDE OF THE ENGINES as on the bottom!

Heck, Detroit could have fixed this problem easily with the cars they made back then if they'd wanted them to be inverted without the fluids leaking out. It's not even high tech. It's just a matter of rubber seals in the right places.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I wrote that the magnetic floor would not address the leaking fluids problems.

Did you not see that?

As for ''overthinking a simple problem," is that not what we members have fun doing at times?

With all due respect, I've read some of your stuff that profoundly delves into simple issues and expounds upon it until my eyes blur.

Last edited by Pow on Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
As for ''overthinking a simple problem" is that not what we members have fun doing at times?

I've read some of your stuff that profoundly delves into simple issues and expounds upon it until my eyes blur.

Sorry, Mike. I got carried away . . . again. Sad

And that definitely proves your point about about me. Oops! Embarassed

As for your suggestion about the magnets in Reid's garage, if I hadn't been so intent on posting a long and totally irrelevant lecture about Bond movies, I'd have realized that the idea of magnets which raised up and attached to the frames under the cars would work just fine!

My only concern would be the possibility of a power failure and what that would do to the car under the floor. Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points as always, Bruce.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Excellent points as always, Bruce.

Ah, shucks. You're just saying that to make me feel better. (Say it again . . . I still feel kinda bad. Sad)
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't need the magnets to be on all the time, just when you rotate the cars. There could be retractable bracing under the floor to hold the car in place. That way if there were a power failure, there wouldn't be a loud sound as the car crashed down onto the floor beneath. The magnets would only be needed during the rotation.

Of course if there was a power failure during the rotation, that could be a very messy situation, with two large cars resting on there sides in a deep well. A battery backup would be a necessity. Laughing

Now, this is a much more complicated method than the one used in the show.

David.
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Beauty could have been housed in a basement garage, with a workshop and supplies. A secret drop-down ramp could have allowed exit, and entrance for the Black Beauty.

The Black Beauty would have had to back in (unless the garage had a turntable). But it would have to do that with the method that they did use.

I would have loved seeing Brit Reid explaining to a contractor why he wanted that well and rotating floor in the garage. The secret garage door into the backyard, and the secret door from the yard into the alley. Then there's the secret elevator behind the moving fireplace. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rotating cars was a neat effect, but hardly practical in actually doing it.

If you've ever been to New York City and seen the parking lots there you've seen the cantilevered frames that stack parked cars in spots vertically . The same principle would be ideal for the Black Beauty where two cars are "stacked" one over the other with the BB hidden either below or above another car.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
The Black Beauty could have been housed in a basement garage, with a workshop and supplies. A secret drop-down ramp could have allowed exit, and entrance for the Black Beauty.

The Black Beauty would have had to back in (unless the garage had a turntable). But it would have to do that with the method that they did use.

Good grief, all that is too complicated. The rotating floor allowed the Black Beauty to "hide in plain sight".

The "workshop and supplies" were obviously in the lower level, with the Black Beauty suspended upside-down above it. And if Reid needed any routine maintenance done on either of his cars, he probably had a trusted mechanic with a repair shop.

After all, both his secretary and the D.A. knew his secret identity., so why not add a skilled mechanic to the list? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kato was the trusted mechanic for the BB.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bow to your expert GH knowledge sir. It was just a thought. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: