ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Way . . . Way Out (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Way . . . Way Out (1966) Reply with quote

______

Jerry Lewis' third sci-fi comedy (after "Visit to a Small Planet" and "The Nutty Professor") is reasonably funny and reasonably sexy -- a good combination.

The director of NASA (Robert Morley) wants to send a husband-and-wife astronaut team to America's lunar outpost because the two male astronauts currently stationed on the Moon have gone crazy due to lack of sex and they're trying to kill each other.

Lady astronaut Connie Stevens agrees to marry Jerry so they will qualify for the highly coveted mission, but she insists the marriage be strictly platonic. Howard Morris (Earnest T. Bass from "The Andy Griffith Show") is good as the acutely horny astronaut who must be dragged away from Connie by his partner, Dennis Weaver, when she and Jerry arrive on the Moon.

After Weaver and Morris leave for Earth, and Jerry is finally alone with Connie, he tries to behave himself, but pretty soon he's going crazy too. And to make matters worse, a male-and-female cosmonaut team (Dick Shawn and Anita Ekberg) from the near-by Russian outpost drop by for a visit.

When Anita peels out of her space suit and prances around in a slinky leotard and knee-high boots, Jerry starts chewing his knuckles and tying his toes in knots. This, of course, makes both Connie and Dick jealous, so Connie ends up falling in love with her husband (Jerry), and Dick ends up marrying his lover (Anita).

Okay, sure, it's sophomoric humor, but it's good sophomoric humor. Directed by Gordon Douglas.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the "countdown" used in the silly opening titles sequence was slightly altered and re-used for the 3rd season opening titles of Lost In Space (CBS 1968 - 1968)!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bud, I found this one to be a dull stinker of a film.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a Jerry Lewis fan by any stretch of the imagination, I certainly won't defend this movie. Very Happy

But as Lewis comedies go, it had a few good moments, and Connie Stevens is just so darned cute I don't mind watching the movie from time to time.

Of course, the presence of Anita Ekboob doesn't exactly bore me either . . . Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that regarding Connie & Anita.

I'm just not a big Jerry fan. Some of his movies work,Nutty Professor of course,but mainly he gets on my nerves.

Never understood how Martin & Lewis eclipsed Abbott & Costello as a comedy team.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Some of his movies work,Nutty Professor of course,but mainly he gets on my nerves.

Ouch. The Nutty Professor doesn't work for me at all, even though I'd walk a mile barefoot over broken glass to hear Stella Stevens sneeze over the phone. Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting publicity photo:

It looks as of the chair that Jerry is in was made by the same firm as some of the publicity shots as Forbidden Planet:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so maybe this movie isn't funny for everybody, but it's sexy for anybody who likes girls, and this trailer proves it! Cool

____________ Way... Way Out (1966) - trailer

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: In the closing scenes of this Jerry Lewis comedy, Miss Connie Stevens informs her legal husband, Mr. Lewis, that she wants him to legitimize the lie she'd just told told a government official.

The lie was that she was pregnant. Wink

So, if Connie and Jerry have a bouncing baby boy-or-girl nine months later (a baby who bounces six-times higher than babies on Earth), what would be the legal status of this little lunar offspring? Confused

Would he-or-she be American because is its parents . . . or the first citizen of the Moon? Shocked

~ My Theory: The answer, folks, is right here.

First lunar babies will be born on the moon ‘within decades’

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born on an American base, which makes is American territory. So that would make the kid a native born American. Just like any kid of an American citizen born on Earth at an American base, consulate, embassy or any American territory.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wrong, it's not U.S. territory. Here's why.

International treaties which were established decades ago empathically state that any bases on the Moon cannot be considered the property of the county which created them.

Please read these. Very Happy

This Is Why No One Can Own the Moon

Who owns the Moon?

According to the Outer Space Treaty of 1967, the exploration and use of space shall be carried out in the interests of all countries: outer space is the "province of all mankind".

The Outer Space Treaty means therefore that - no matter whose national flags are planted on the lunar surface - no nation can 'own' the Moon.

As of 2019, 109 nations are bound by the Treaty, and another 23 have signed the agreement but have yet to be officially recognized.

However, I found out that my question was kinda silly because I'd forgotten this. Rolling Eyes

A person born abroad in wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother and a U.S. citizen father acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), if at least one of the parents resided in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the person's birth.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, happy day! Very Happy

Here's a moderately watchable version of Way . . . Way Out! from YouTube!

Now all you naysayers can refresh your memory of this science fiction masterpiece and finally realize that even though 2001 has the awesome monolith, this movie has the even MORE awesome Anita Ekberg! Shocked

______________ Way Way Out Jerry Lewis 1966

Today it occurred to me that this wacky movie about which nation has a baby on the Moon first is just as silly at the actual "space race" in which the U.S. and Russia compete to see who could reach the Moon first!

In fact, that race was even dumber than this movie! Why?

Well, the race to be the first to land on Moon only demonstrated which nation had the best technology and the most ambitious programs. But after we succeeded, we abandoned the program after Apollo 17! Sad

And I say again, why? Because all we left on the Moon was footprints and abandoned equipment.

Consider that in comparison to this whimsical comedy that presents a story about two nations who compete to see which one can produce the first human offspring born on another planet! Shocked

Gentlemen, I propose that such an accomplishment signifies the first step in mankind's conquest of space — the first human to be born on another world!

This movie is highly underrated!

But before you decide that I'm wrong, I found a good quality version of the full movie on DailyMotion in two parts, and I uploaded it to WeTransfer.

Download it and enjoy it . . . like I did this evening. I think you might change your mind. Very Happy

Part 1 — https://we.tl/t-47YpUC9uin

Part 2 — https://we.tl/t-uNPEXnYIpx

(Download the movie now before WeTransfer deletes it from their database.)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB:

Some of the sets used in the movie were from Irwin Allen's Lost In Space.

Gary Lewis (Jer's son) & the Playboys sing the title song for the film.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp-eyed automotive geeks will spot several "futuristic" factory concept cars used in this movie.

From left to right: Ford Allegro (which eventually led to the Mustang), GM-X Stiletto, GM Firebird IV (aka Buick Century Cruiser), Ford Aurora concept wagon.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, Scot — I AM both sharp-eyed and an automotive geek! Cool

Furthermore, we have a few of those same cars in All Sci-Fi's Gallery 8 - Future Cars from the Past. Very Happy

But more to the point — Scot, does this mean you've actually downloaded Way . . . Way Out from WeTransfer and want me to leave it on the schedule for ASF’S Saturday Night at the Movies (<— link) for April 8th? Confused

I certainly hope so, because it's the only Jerry Lewis movie I like (other than Visit to a Small Planet, scheduled for April 7th), and I was seriously thinking about removing it too from our schedule for All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat, because I didn't think you guys liked either of them. Sad

However, if the other guys aren't interested in those two features, you and I can watch them together at your convenience, sir. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: