ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Thing Reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: The Thing Reboot Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/thing-reboot-early-development-blumhouse-202210788.html

‘The Thing’ Reboot in Early Development With Blumhouse, John Carpenter

Adam B. Vary

http://variety.comhttp://variety.comAugust 24, 2020, 4:22 PM

Blumhouse Productions and filmmaker John Carpenter are developing a reboot of Carpenter’s 1982 horror classic “The Thing,” Variety has confirmed. The project is still in early stages, and no other details have been hammered out.
Carpenter first revealed the news on Saturday on a panel for the Fantasia International Film Festival.

During the interview, Carpenter discussed finishing the score to “Halloween Kills,” a sequel to the 2018 reboot of another Carpenter favorite. That film, produced by Blumhouse and directed by David Gorden Green, was recently pushed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Later in the Q&A, Carpenter was asked if he had talked with Blumhouse chief Jason Blum about directing any projects himself.

“I have? I don’t know about that,” Carpenter said. “But we’ve talked about — I think he’s going to be working on ‘The Thing,’ rebooting ‘The Thing.’ I’m involved with that, maybe. Down the road.”

Carpenter declined to reveal whether the project would be a prequel, sequel or remake.

The core story of “The Thing” — about an Antarctic research team contending with a parasitic alien life form that can imitate other people — has been revisited a few times in Hollywood. It’s based on the 1938 novella “Who Goes There?” by John W. Campbell Jr.

The first was a 1951 RKO Radio Pictures movie under the title “The Thing from Another World.” Carpenter’s version starred Kurt Russell and Keith David and was initially a critical and box office disappointment. But the film’s grisly creature effects and tense story of the futility of paranoia helped make it a cult sensation among horror fans, and it is widely regarded as one of Carpenter’s finest.

In 2011, Universal released a prequel by the same title starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton and directed by Matthijs van Heijningen, but without Carpenter’s creative involvement. It opened to mixed reviews and muted box office.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't very well claim that Hollywood should make more sequels and fewer reboots. In the last few decades Hollywood has become well aware that a successful string of sequels is a cash cow that can't easily be milked dry.

But for some reason, The Thing movies are like a broken record — we've gotten two variations on the concept and a prequel to the second version.

The first two movies are prime material for sequels, but I don't think I've ever heard a word about any plans to make a sequel to the 1951 version. I haven't been impressed by the tentative plans for a sequel to Carpenter's 1982 film.

Obviously a sequel to the Carpenter film would play better with modern audiences than a sequel the 1951 version. But what would it be about?

Well, here's a few ideas I had. These are a bit different from some ideas I presented on page 2 of the thread for The Thing.

Idea #1 - We know the alien was capable of breaking off parts of its body so the separated portion could morph into an independent creature, the way the head of the "man" on the operating table pulled itself loose and spouted spider legs.

Therefore, it's entirely possible that some portion of the giant creature that Kirk Russell blew up with dynamite in the climax was blasted from the underground area and away from the subsequent fire that burned down the complex.

As soon as it landed in the snow it could begin morphing into a sled dog (we know the creature sort of "remembers" other forms it has taken), and then the dog would find a sheltered remnant of the underground area to wait for a rescue team.

Idea #2 - The sled dog might have located Mac and Childs before they froze to death and then assimilated them as well.

Idea #3 - Working together, the three aliens would construct a sheltered area within the remaining portion of the blasted-out underground area. Then they'd gather up whatever food stores which survived the fire. I think we can assume that the aliens need to eat, and since they replicated two humans and a dog, regular food would be what they need.

When the rescue team arrives (possibly several weeks later), the aliens would have arranged their situation to look as if they survived the mysterious fire and explosion which destroyed the camp.

That's all I've got so far. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, a movie version of the original novel which focuses more on the idea that "anybody might be an alien" — with fewer of the creepy alien creatures that burst out of people's bodies — would be a distinct departure from both the Carpenter film and the prequel.

Wikipedia's summary of the original short story's plot demonstrates that Carpenter's version is, in many ways, true to the source material. One big difference, however, is the fact that in John W. Campbell's story the alien beings could read minds and project thoughts!

This made the alien-humans even more dangerous and terrifying, and it explains why many of characters went mad!

So, if the "reboot" does an effective job of presenting that particular aspect of the plot, the tension will be sustained in a very different manner than Carpenter's remarkable, monstrosity-packed classic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: