ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cisco Kid (1950 - 1956)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: The Cisco Kid (1950 - 1956) Reply with quote

Confession: I love Westerns.

I grew up watching Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, and . . . yes, The Cisco Kid. I had cowboy gun belts and cap guns, and I played cowboys-and-Indians with my buddies on the block. I owned a Fanner 50 by Mattel!

One of the very few things I liked about about being a Security Policemen in the Air Force from 1967 to 1971 was the fact that whenever I was manning guard shacks (at the entry points of secure areas with nukes) I got to wear a Smith and Wesson K-38 Combat Masterpiece in a holster!

Does it look familiar? It should, because it's a close match for the Colt Peacemaker which Marty McFly had in Back to the Future III. This was Hollywood's gun-of-choice in many Westerns throughout the years.

And yes . . . when I was all alone on guard duty in Ramstein (Germany) and Kunsan (Korea) during those four years, I would unload the pistol and then practice fast-draw moves and elaborate ways to spin the pistol into the holster.

I got pretty good at it, too. Very Happy

What I loved about the Cisco Kid and Pancho was that even though they were the hero and sidekick, they were both smart and they both figured out the solution to the problem each week as a team. Pancho said funny things in a way that alternated English grammar, but he said them in interesting ways that now remind me of Yoda's wacky syntax!

_________

Pancho: "Cisco, this I do not understand. Why didn't we shot that bad man and give him to the sheriff?"

Yoda: "Luke, understand you must! Face Vader you cannot until ready you are!"

If you're a fan of this wonderful series, Youtube has many of them you can enjoy

__ Cisco Kid Phony Heiress FULL LENGTH EPISODE

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CISCO KID had quite an interesting history. Check out the following, adapted from Wikipedia :

For his portrayal of the Kid in the early sound film In Old Arizona (1928), Warner Baxter won the second Best Actor Oscar. This film was a revised version of the original story, in which the Kid is portrayed in a positive light.

It was directed by Irving Cummings and Raoul Walsh, who was originally slated to play the lead until a jackrabbit jumping through a windshield cost him an eye while on location.

In 1931, Fox Film Corporation produced a sound version with Baxter, Conchita Montenegro, and Edmund Lowe.

The movie series began with The Return of the Cisco Kid (1939), featuring Baxter in the title role with Cesar Romero as his sidekick, Lopez, Chris-Pin Martin as the other sidekick, Gordito ("Fatty"), Lynn Bari as his mistaken love interest, Ann Carver, Henry Hull as her wayward grandfather, and Ward Bond in the lowest-billed role as "Tough", whose one scene shows him beaten into unconsciousness by the unscrupulous Sheriff McNally (Robert Barrat).

Romero took over the lead role of Cisco and Martin continued to play Gordito in six further films before the series was suspended with America's entry into World War II in 1941.

Duncan Renaldo took over the reins as the Kid when Monogram Pictures revived the series in 1945 with The Cisco Kid Returns, which also introduced the Kid's best-known sidekick, Pancho, played by Martin Garralaga. Pancho also became established as his sidekick in other media. Neither Gordito nor Pancho is in the original story.

After three Renaldo/Cisco films, Gilbert Roland played the character in a half-dozen 1946-1947 movies beginning with The Gay Cavalier (1946). Renaldo then returned to the role with Leo Carrillo as Pancho.

They made five films, with Renaldo assuming the flowery "Charro" suit in the final film. He would wear that throughout the TV series that followed.

Renaldo returned to the role for the popular 156-episode Ziv Television series The Cisco Kid (1950—1956), notable as the first TV series filmed in color.

For the 1950s TV series, the Cisco Kid's sidekick Pancho was portrayed by Leo Carrillo, riding a Palomino named Loco.

After a long absence, the character galloped back onto TV screens in the 1994 made-for-TV movie The Cisco Kid, starring Jimmy Smits with Cheech Marin as Pancho.

The TV episodes and the 1994 movie, like the radio series, ended with one or the other of them making a corny joke about the adventure they had just completed.

They would laugh, saying, "'O, Pancho!" "'O, Cisco!", before galloping off, while laughing, into the sunset and Spanish-styled Western theme music was heard as the credits rolled.

That "Pancho" and "Cisco" are Spanish nicknames for "Francisco" makes the sign-off with laughter an inside joke for Spanish speakers. Throughout the TV series, Pancho addressed Renaldo as "Cisco" - although that is the name of a town near Abilene, Texas, and the character's real name is never mentioned - and others (mostly Anglo characters) refer to him as "the Kid" (Renaldo was 46 years old when the TV series began).

Although both Pancho and Cisco are clearly identifiable as Mexicans, throughout the entire series they spoke to each other in English, with Pancho speaking a thickly accented and very tortured English, as if the two of them were not both fluent and comfortable in Spanish. Of course, the series was intended for initial release in the United States and for a primarily English-speaking audience so, as is still the practice today in such cases, the dialog was written and delivered in English and the audience filled in the rest.

"Cisco" and "Pancho" are both nicknames given to men whose Spanish name is Francisco, which in English is "Francis." or Frank.

It is probable, but not clear, that Pancho or Cisco were originally named after the famous Mexican revolutionary general whose nom de guerre was Francisco "Pancho" Villa.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Gord!

I have a box set of The Cisco Kid TV series (35 episodes on three disc), but the picture quality is poor, so I haven't watched very many of the episodes.

My current DVDs are the 2005 set, but the 2013 set shown below is described as "digitally restored", and it has 26 episodes on six discs. I wish I could get all 156 episodes, but I just ordered them anyway a few minutes ago from good old Amazon.

I'm looking forward to watching better copies than I've ever seen before of this great series. Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my new box set today, and they do look better than the older set, although the picture quality isn't as sharp as I hoped. And the color levels vary quite a bit, with some episodes faded, while others are beautifully vivid.

Still, the prints used for these new DVDs are free from scratches and cuts, and the sound quality is good, too.

In the second episode I watched today, "Counterfeit Money", Pancho states his full name!

Pancho Miguel Fernando Gonzalez! Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love westerns, Bud.

My favorites are Laredo (1965-'67) & The High Chaparral (1967-'71).

Laredo was terrific because they mixed the action adventure of a western show with rowdy humor. The Texas Rangers of B Company stationed in Laredo were always up to schemes & giving each other a hard time. They still managed to perform their duties amidst their antics.

THC was filmed (mostly) at the Old Tuscon Movie Ranch where countless western films have been shot. It gave the series fresh looking vistas for a tv show. The vast majority of tv westerns have been filmed in Hollywood & therefore have the same look as regards scenery.

THC was unique-looking compared to the other westerns.

The cast was great & they had solid scripting.

Both shows deserved longer runs than they had.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't a fan of either of those series, but not because I watched them and didn't like them. It was simply because they didn't catch my attention back in the days of my youth.

But these days we can rediscover the lost treasures of the past and become fans in our golden years. So, I'll definitely check them out, partner!

Adios, mustachio!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While watching a few more of the wonderful episodes of my newly-acquired DVDs of The Cisco Kid, I heard Pancho introduce himself again with his full name, but this time it was significantly different from the one I heard in an earlier episode.

The one I heard before was Pancho Miguel Fernando Gonzalez.

But in the episode called Chained Lightning he states that this full name is Pancho Gonzales Fernando Ecane'ho (I spelled that last name phonetically).

I Googled the question of Pancho's full name, but I didn't find a single site that gave either of these names.

Somebody help me, please! Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I also love westerns, Bud.

My favorites are Laredo (1965-'67) & The High Chaparral (1967-'71).

I'm pleased to report that the four DVD sets that are part of the group like one shown below ("Collection 1") all have a very good picture quality! And since there are 20 episodes in each box set (4 DVDs with 5 episode on each disc), the four sets contain 80 episodes!

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
… Ecane'ho (I spelled that last name phonetically)

It's possible you heard the Spanish pronunciation of "escaneo" in which the 's' is more of a faint 'th' (as in think) sound. That translates to "scanning" meaning in (very bad slang) catalan Spanish "I'm a looker" as in "I'm handsome", a joke to impress the ladies.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muchas gracias, Amigo! Very Happy

Now if we only knew what the Cisco Kid's real name was. Confused

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always exciting whenever I hear that a new western movie or TV show is gonna be produced, Bud.

That's because westerns have faded over time and are rarely done anymore.

Critics have noted that the western's era has simply passed by. After all, they say just how many ways can you do a western?

Perhaps true. At one time in the 1950s during one TV season there were over 30 westerns on.

However, to the critics I say just how many ways can you do a TV series about law enforcement, medicine, and the legal world?

Yet, I see this upcoming fall TV season we have an abundance of all 3 of those genres.

Just like every year since the invention of TV.

Man, talk about dishing out the same old material year after year after year.

Little imagination with those networks.

Give me a new western any day.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, The Cisco Kid, The Lone Ranger... all part of my television childhood, yes. I see that The Internet Archive's "Lum Edwards Collection" has a good number of Cisco Kid radio shows available, for when one can listen but not watch a screen - https://archive.org/details/Cisco_Kid_page1 and https://archive.org/details/Cisco_Kid_page2 were what I found...
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that in both "The Cisco Kid" and "The Lone Ranger" are heroes and their pardners are constantly mistaken for outlaws.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW WROTE:
Quote:
Interesting that in both "The Cisco Kid" and "The Lone Ranger" our heroes and their pardners are constantly mistaken for outlaws.

As was THE GREEN HORNET!
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
POW WROTE:
Quote:
Interesting that in both "The Cisco Kid" and "The Lone Ranger" our heroes and their pardners are constantly mistaken for outlaws.

As was THE GREEN HORNET!

But in the Green Hornets case, it was done on purpose so he and Kato could get closer to the criminal element. That way they could easily infiltrate and bring down the criminals.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: