ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Very Happy

Click on the link below to visit a site with more imagines and info about this Frank Lloyd Wright house.

In 1957, Marilyn Monroe visited Frank Lloyd Wright in his apartment at the Plaza Hotel in New York and asked him to design a new house in Roxbury, Connecticut.

Notice from the excerpt that Marilyn first approached Wright about designing the house in 1957 — a year after Forbidden Planet came out.

I wonder what Wright thought about the matte painting in the movie. Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
In some scenes you can see a number of what look to be some type of small screen in the break area. I believe the books are manuals and reference books. If there is a problem, the screens could be rendered inoperable.

But the advantage of printed books is that they are not dependent on a power source. In an emergency, as long as there is a source of light, the books are usable.

By gum, this idea deserves even more praise than gave it in a previous post!

Consider for a moment the idea that the Bellerophon landed on Altair 4 and didn't contact Earth for 20 years. The C-57-D was sent to find out if they survived a possible crash.

Obviously, spacecraft like the Bellerophon and the C-57-D suffered mishaps on alien worlds, and their crews fought to survive while they hoped to be rescued.

The great Twilight Zone episode On Thursday We Leave for Home is a perfect portrayal of this happening in the Forbidden Planet universe.

Imagine the C-57-D crashing on some alien world, the ship is badly damaged, and the systems are all shot. All the crew has left are emergency supplies and informational manuals like the ones on the shelves (along with others in the ship's cargo hold).

Krel was dead right when he said this.

Quote:
The current U.S. Military has a belt-and-suspenders philosophy. I see no reason why that will change in the future.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some interesting comments on the web from one BILL HOLLIFIELD, an engineer.

I don't know if I'd really call it a "flaw" in the in the story, but it does point out something I've always wondered about.

Any ideas?

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember them indicating that the Bellerophon had an FTL radio, or that they were suppose to make status reports. If it did, and the United Planets government was expecting a message, then they were very negligent in waiting so long to investigate.

The Bellerophon expedition was prospecting Scientists. That says to me, that they were there to investigate Altair IV's suitability for colonization. That is a process that would take years at best.

If the Bellerophon did have FTL capable communications, then it would probably be like with C-57-D, where they would have had to disable the ship to utilize it. As we have theorized earlier, they probably discovered the Krell lab early in the exploration, and became too excited to build the FTL radio.

There is no indication on how hyperdrive and hyperspace works in the movie. It could be that there is a limit to velocity in hyperspace, or with the hyperdrive engines, so no matter how large the hyperdrive, it will still take a physical object the same amount of time to traverse the same distance.

Not having the physical mass of a spaceship, radio waves may be able to cover the distance at a much greater velocity. It may not be instantaneous, but rather take weeks, days or hours.

We know none of this, because it was not needed to tell the story. We want to know, but the movie didn't need it. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this would mean that the message back to Earth from the C-57-D would take 17 years at light speed to arrive and at least another 17 years to receive a reply.

This would mean J.J.Adams would have to wait 34 YEARS to receive a reply as to instructions of how to proceed! They were only there for about four DAYS before it all came to a head!

As with Star Fleet in Star Trek the Captain of the starship would have to be endowed with the authority of how to proceed . Of course this would put a huge responsibility on his shoulders...but what the heck, rank not only has priviledges, it has consequences.

In my opinion (Worth absolutely nothing!) the entire motion around dislocating the core and trying to contact Earth was just a canard instigated by Adams to stall for more time to figure out what was going on ...(Or to get more time with Altaria!). This also puts Chief Quinn's death more on the head of Captain Adams.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating discussion, gentlemen. And your logic is impeccable! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a youtube site called Robot Hut. It is run by a toy robot collector who also builds full-scale robot replicas. He had made copies of Robby, and Robby's jeep.

Here are links to two videos you may be interested in.

This video is about the fence post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yXUS8dZ5Y

This video is about Robby's jeep, and his copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6tdWV1sY7I

I hope that you find them interesting.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, David! Thanks for sharing this! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few additional thoughts on the communication issue.

The "technobabble" Adams says to explain what's required at first sounds like just that....technical jargon...

"Fundamentally it's a question of crude power; how to short circuit the continuum on a five or six parsec level. Of course, a transmitter like that isn't standard equipment. To build one we'll have to cannibalize about two-thirds of the ships electronic gear, and unship the main drive to juice it."

Actually it makes more sense than you'd expect.

Communication at a "faster than light" rate could be possible by the use of "quantum entanglement" or what Einstein described as "spooky action at a distance.
In essence it's the phenomena that two subatomic particles which become "entangled" will reflect changes from one particle onto the entangled one instantaneously regardless of how far apart they are...even across the galaxy and beyond.

a change would be a variation of "spin" and the result is like a computer "bit"...like a "on or off" condition. Communication by "bits" is how text, speech, or video works.

Each spacecraft would be supplied with a complement of entangled particles that could react with ones at home base. This would mean a starship could communicate only with the home base, not to any other ships.

Adams says they must "short circuit the continuum on a five or six parsec level"
One parsec is the distance at which one astronomical unit subtends an angle of one arcsecond. A parsec is equivalent to 3.26 light years, and since a light year is the distance light travels in 1 year 9.4 trillion km, 1 parsec equals 30.8 trillion km.

Using the most recent figures given by the 2007 Hipparcos data, the star Altair is 16.73 light years away from us.

The distance between Earth and Altair therefore is between 5 and 6 parsecs. Adams was right on with that statement!

His comment about "short circuiting the continuum" could refer to the act of altering entangled particles . The Bellerathon and similar craft could have had this system in use as something like a transponder....able to transmit basic, short messages like the fact that they've landed.

Adams had to make a much more complicated message ; explaining the whole situation and request for instructions.
The size of the message would require more energy to alter a lot more particles, therefore a need to cannibalize the electronics.

Seems reasonable. Adams was spot on with his comment!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Gord! You've proved yet again that Forbidden Planet isn't becoming increasingly dated as the years go by — it just continues to impress its fan with the accuracy of its science.

By the way, today I suddenly recalled that in the late 1950s the Gale Storm show known as My Little Margie was rebooted as The Gale Storm Show - Oh, Susanna!.

It was actually the original version of The Love Boat — a cruise ship on which the lovely Gale Storm was the cruise director like Julie McCoy, who was played by the perky Lauren Tewes.

In season 3, episode 14, the ship somehow acquired a robot, played by you-know-who! The episode aired on December 13, 1958, and I remember seeing it when it first air! Very Happy

Although there are many episodes of this series on Youtube (some of which have been colorized . . . poorly), they don't have Robot from Inner Space, the one with Robby.

But I did find this publicity shot.

Miss Storm also released a number of Billboard chart makers, including "I Hear You Knocking" (her first hit) — which I have on tape. Here she is performing it on live TV in the late 1950s, and then the 45 rpm version below that.

The beautiful Miss Storm had an impressive figure!
Wink

_____________I Hear You Knocking Gale Storm

____________Gale Storm - I Hear You Knocking

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIME FOR A FEW MORE PICS!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pix!

Welcome to Altair 4 Gentlemen! Park here!

And one from Lost In Space.

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the painting for the proposed M.M. house triggered a memory. I believe it was in one of the Cinefantastique FP issues, where it was written that the Morbius residence design was based on the ideas of FLW, with the concept of bringing the outside into the inside.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the design of the house had an "open" look to it. That is with the shutters open the feeling was very much that it was exposed to the outside environment. It's been suggested that there was a kind of mild force field around it to keep out insects etc. (But not "monkeys" obviously!)

It was really a brilliant layout for a home in a temperate or tropical-desert climate. If I won the Powerball I'd build a copy of it in Arizona or New Mexico!

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
It was really a brilliant layout for a home in a temperate or tropical-desert climate. If I won the Powerball I'd build a copy of it in Arizona or New Mexico!

And just think of all the little visitors you'll have joining you in your home. Tarantulas, scorpions, Gila Monsters, rattle snakes and other little visitors I can't think of, and don't know about. Laughing

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 128 of 143

Jump to: