ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mission: Impossible (1966 - 1973)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

No shenanigans were intended on my part.

Pow, I didn't mean to infer that you were engaged in Shenanigans. I meant that I thought that the story was shenanigans. If I insulted you than I am very sorry. I have always enjoyed your posts and trivia.

This is the most times in my life that I have ever used shenanigans. Laughing

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies needed my friend. I realized that you were suspect of the individual who made this first-hand account of this incident and not me.

I just wanted to use shenanigans in my post too.
Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that the M:I TV series resorted to actually performing a real life covert operation during the show's run starting in season two?

Learning from the first season of M:I, the producers created S&S Films.

As far as the studio was concerned this was a film library. In reality it was brought to life for an entirely different purpose.

It was a disguised second unit.

It was against union rule and if they were discovered they'd have been fined for this activity.

M:I creator Bruce Geller approved of S&S films (Saturday and Sunday), but the studio had no clue about what was really taking place.

The M:I crew just wanted to make the finest show that they could.

To that end, the S&S crew would spend the weekend filming sequences such as a car chase or traveling shots.

Had this been done with an official crew during weekday hours, it would have cost the studio ten thousand dollars. And with new owners Paramount/Gulf-Western now holding very tightly to the purse strings there was no way they would have authorized such expenditures.

Knowing that they'd never receive approval from the studio, the S&S Films charade was created.

The producers and crew felt that it was worth it all as it really opened up and greatly improved the visuals for the episodes.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You got trouble, my friend, right here, I say, trouble right here in River City.''

Mission:Impossible, Third Season~1968-to-1969.

Mission:Impossible was a huge hit by its third season.

It also was going through serious growing pains at the same time.

Producer Douglas S. Cramer was newly assigned to the series to control costs. Cramer would discover that his 'mission:impossible' would be dealing with the show's creator Bruce Geller.

Cramer found that Geller paid absolutely no attention to the series weekly budget. Bruce also would want to do bigger shows than they could afford to do.

Bruce simply ignored Cramer from the start and later would conceive of ways to get around Cramer.

Pressure from the studio would only make Geller more furious and unwilling to compromise on anything.

Cramer was also in charge of overseeing Star Trek at the same time. He found that the ST people were open to discussing budget expenditures. Geller never was for his M:I.

The top-notch writers for M:I of William Read Woodfield & Allan Balter who understood the show's story structure better than most were made producers for the show's third season...and they proved to be awful in that position.

They were very dictatorial with the series crew and did not get on well at all with series creator Bruce Geller.

Finally, after numerous clashes with Bruce, Woodfield & Balter got into a roaring screaming match with Geller. Afterwards the highly regarded writing team walked off the show forever.

There were those on the staff who felt that Woodfield & Balter actually understood the series better than its creator, Bruce Geller.

At this stage, only eight episodes had been produced for season three's premiere. Now there was a desperate scramble to find writers who could script one of the most complex television series on the air.

In spite of the various issues going on with M:I, the cast did get along with one another quite well, and they also got on well with the crew.

Funny, isn't it? As a kid and teenager growing up we all have our favorite TV shows. We'd check it out in TV Guide so we'd be sure to see what night it was on, what time, and read the TVG plot synopsis.

Once a week a TV series we followed would come on with a new episode. Once a week we'd watch it and usually get a kick out of it.

Guess I was young and naive not to ever imagine that on particular TV series there could be all kinds of backstage feuds, fusses, fractures, and fights going on with casts and crew. As long as the overall quality of a show didn't suffer, one was apt to think it was operating like a well oiled machine.

Now I know different after reading a number of television series companion books about the making of certain shows.

Those books can be fascinating to read as they delve into the details of the production of a series.

The downside is that whenever I find myself enjoying a brand new television series, in the back of my mind I'm wondering how well things are going in the making of a show.

Are things running smoothly? Are there problems going on that will affect the show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: