ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Leap (1989~1993)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Quantum Leap (1989~1993) Reply with quote

_______

Quantum Leap was a sf time travel television series that ran from March 26, 1989 until May 5, 1993.

The show was created by Donald P. Bellisario and ran on NBC and was a Universal Studio production.

Synopsis: In the near future, brilliant physicist Dr. Sam Beckett theorized that time travel was possible within one's lifetime.

Sam receives government funding in order to create Project Quantum Leap.

When the government threatens to cut funding for the project (shades of The Time Tunnel), Sam decides that he must take a huge gamble and test the particle acclerator on himself.

Sam is thrown back in time but with a dramatic unexpected result. He occupies the body of a person who actually lives in the particular era.

The individual from the past has their consciousness and personality transferred to the Waiting Room at Project Quantum Leap. There, the PQL staff physically see that person as Dr. Beckett.

In the past, all of the people see only the individual from the time period as they really are physically, and not Sam at all.

In the past, Sam can only see the visage of the person he is inhabiting whenever Sam looks into a mirror, or any reflective surface. Sam cannot see his own true reflection.

Added into all this is that a mysterious unknown force is sending Sam into the bodies of these humans from the past because these individuals are facing difficult challenges that will impact the rest of their lives.

It is up to Sam to "put things right that once went wrong and hope that his next leap will be the leap home."

Assisting Sam on his time trek is his good friend Admiral Albert Calavicci. Al is a holographic image that only Sam can see and hear. The real Al is at PQL while he interfaces with Sam in whatever past time period Sam exists.

Al has a hand-held device that is connected to the PQL supercomputer known as Ziggy.

This gadget allows Al to gather any relevant historical data to whatever situation Sam finds himself, thus helping out Sam with critical knowledge.

The gizmo also indicates if Sam's attempt to alter a situation for the better has succeeded or failed according what the altered history of the person has become due to Sam's efforts.

Creator Donald P. Bellisario cited the book he read, "Coming of Age in the Milky Way'' as the inspiration for QL.

His other inspirations were the films "Here Comes Mr.Jordan," from 1941 and the remake "Heaven Can Wait'' from 1978.

And from TV, Irwin Allen's "The Time Tunnel" (1966~'67).

The concept also evolved from an unused story originally created for "Galactica 1980."

This was a darn entertaining series with a wonderful cast.

Scott Bakula (Captain Archer on Star Trek: Enterprise) portrays Sam Beckett who is randomly thrown back not only into the past (but only within his lifetime starting in 1953 when he was born), but Sam inhabits the body of the individual in that era.

And those individuals are usually facing some personal crisis where the decision they made, or decisions made by others, caused their life to go off track...or end.

It's up to Sam & Al to straighten it all out; to give that person a Frank Capra happy ending.

Once the situation is resolved for the better is when Sam leaps out of that individual. Where and when he's going next he doesn't have a clue. He has no idea what the dire predicament will be, or even who the person he inhabits is.

QL was a sf TV show about helping out folks. It was not meant to follow such other series as "The Time Tunnel," or "Timeless" where those time travelers were hurled into monumental historical events.

QL did touch on some important events from the past on occasion; but its primary focus was about helping an individual, a family, that desperately required help before they headed down the wrong road.

Scott Bakula infused Sam with a deep humanity. He was caring person with high morals who genuinely and compassionately wanted to help people in trouble.

Al, Sam's best friend, was also a kind person but he was cut from a different clothe than Sam.

Sam loved his cigars, booze, and chasing women. He could be a bit on the cynical side, and he usually had a wisecrack ready for any situation.

However, Sam & Al worked well together on their missions.

Al also worried about Sam on these missions and the potential for danger since Sam was not invulnerable to harm or death.

Al also worked hard with the PQL scientists in order to figure out just how to return Sam safely home once and for all.

_______________ Quantum Leap - Show Trailer

Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer for the DVD box set is pretty darn good!

Enjoy!_

________________ Quantum Leap DVD Trailer

I watched this series sort of off-and-on, and the thing that bothered me was the way the basic premise suggested that God bounced poor Sam all around the timeline . . . just to fix His ( . . . God's) mistakes! Shocked

Frankly folks, that's the very reason I'm leaning towards agnosticism these days! Sad

The world is a mess, our country is ruled by a moron who dismisses all science, the human race is dying like flies on a daily basis, and CNN journalists interview embarrassingly stupid Trump supports who say the pandemic is a hoax, or that they won't die because God will protect them. Rolling Eyes

That idea doesn't seem to be working for a large part of the world's population. Sad

I think if I were the producers of Quantum Leap, I'd have started the series with an early scene in which Sam Beckett finds himself in the presence of the Supreme Being and learns that He was in bad shape — the injured victim of the battle between Good and Evil!

Fortunately Evil has been defeated.

But the Supreme Being needs time to heal after his titanic battle, and while He does this, He needs Sam to hop around the timeline and fix things which hadn't gone according to plan, because He was too busy sluggin' it out with the Evil One!

In other words, Sam Beckett has been assigned to "mop-up duties" after the Big Battle between Good and Evil!

Guys, I like my idea much better than the premise that God is a weary old fellow who made mistakes, and who now needs help fixing His screw ups. Rolling Eyes

I apologize for offending anybody who reads this, but I'm a science fiction writer, and I view all concepts as fair game for enjoyable speculations. Wink

I'm confident that if there really is a benevolent God, he appreciates intelligent speculations on the nature of the universe, along with humorous comments about Him and the way he runs things. Very Happy

In other words, nobody is going to Hell for what they post on All Sci-Fi. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark here, Bud, and assume you aren't a fan of either "Highway to Heaven," or "Touched By An Angel?"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually I'm not — but it isn't because of any religious objections, I just never watched those two series, so I never developed an appreciation for them.

I probably shouldn't have confessed all that stuff in the post above. I don't want anybody the think I'm a godless heathen who's going to hell!

However, since I did bare my soul, perhaps I should clarify my feelings on the subject.

I'm just "not sure" that the idea of a good and kind God fits the fact that there is so much disorder and suffering in the world. I know that all the bad things are supposed to be our fault because of Original Sin.

That's the part that bothers me the most. Sad

Frankly I hope I'm dead wrong and my viewpoint is based on my own ignorance. Any devout Christian would say, "That's EXACTLY why you've got it all wrong, Bud!" Shocked

In my defense, may I point out that in the thread for Signs I stated several times that I believe the story is based on the idea that there IS a God, and that He set up all those "coincidences" to save Mel Gibson and his family from the aliens . . . and also to restore Mel's lost faith.

What M. Night Shyamalan did was acknowledge my own concern about how God seems almost unconcerned with the fate of people — and yet His interventions on our behalf might be extremely subtle . . . for reasons we don't understand.

I guess the important difference between Signs and Quantum Leap is that in the movie we see God take direct (but subtle) actions on behalf of mankind to prevent bad things from happening, wheres in the TV series God seems to let the bad things happen and then use Sam Beckett to go back and fix His mistakes!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed difficult to hang on to one's faith when we see so much evil all around the globe.

"To you I'm an atheist; to God I'm the loyal opposition." Woody Allen.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some QL Factoids.

Al usually having a cigar was actor Dean Stockwell's idea so that he could get free cigars.

Scott Bakula was the first actor cast for QL. He read with the actors that were auditioning for Al. He felt an immediate connection with Dean Stockwell and Scott lobbied for Dean for the part.

Scott had an extensive background in musical theater, so he did his own singing on QL whenever it was required.

The two-part episode "Lee Harvey Oswald" came about when creator/producer Donald P. Bellisario overheard his kids discussing the recently released Oliver Stone film "JFK."

In the Stone movie it puts forth that President Kennedy was assassinated by a group of conspirators. It also shows Lee Harvey Oswald as innocent dupe of the assassination of JFK.

Bellisario had actually met Oswald in the late 1950s when both were in the US Marine Corps.

Bellisario was convinced that Oswald was the lone gunman assassin and that there was never any covert conspiratorial cadre involved that murdered President Kennedy.

This episode presented Bellisario's viewpoint.

The most leaped into year by Sam was 1957. He did that seven times.

Unused Ideas: Sam leaping into R.F.K., an animated episode, a leap into a baby, and a leap into Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) from the "Magnum, P.I." television show which was also a Donald P. Bellisario production.

Dennis Hopper advised Dean Stockwell not to take the role of Al on QL so soon after Stockwell's nomination for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor in "Married to the Mob'' (1988).

Deborah Pratt, who was the narrator, voice of Ziggy, writer, and executive-producer for QL was also married to QL creator/producer Donald Bellisario.

Sam Beckett leaped into every year from 1953 to 1987 at least once. He did not leap into the years: 1977, 1984, 1986.

Project Quantum Leap is run by primarily females.

Along the way Sam met Buddy Holly, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe, Donald Trump (Ugh!), Bill Clinton, Dr.Ruth Westheimer, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Elvis.

Sam leaped into nine females. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Sam leaped out of the United States seven times. He went to Vietnam, Bermuda Triangle, Egypt, Japan, USSR, England, and on a raft in international waters.

Sam also leaped into the years 1862 and 1945 which were not the norm as he usually could time travel only to the years that were in his own lifetime.

Donald Bellisario & Scott Bakula were upset with how NBC handled the series finale.

Four different endings were written; only two were filmed.

NBC had informed Don & Scott that the show had been renewed but then the network cancelled QL at the last moment.

English actor Malcolm McDowell auditioned for the role of Al on QL.

This would have been McDowell's second brush with time travel.

He played author H.G.Welles in the time travelling movie "Time After Time" in 1979.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I've been enjoying Quantum Leap on good ole' COMET lately, and while doing so today I discovered that I'd overlooked your great post above from two years ago! Sad

I've developed a renewed interest in the series, and I discovered that the box set of the complete series was just $28.82 from Amazop (which includes tax and shipping).

So . . . what the hell! I ordered it from Amazon! Very Happy

I've said it before and I'll say is again! Life is too short to be a cheapskate!

Buy the DVDs you like, and then leave them to your children when you die. Hell, they'll be valuable collectors items by then!

By the way, the opening theme of the show got a much-needed make-over in season 5. Did anybody else notice that?

The show's original theme was pleasant enough, but it was a bit too wimpy for my taste. So, when I heard the way it been given a serious set of balls in season five, I was delighted!

Here's the cutesy original theme by Mike Post from season 1 - 4. And then here's the macho version by Ryan Gregg which started in season 5.

Like . . . wowzer! Shocked

__Quantum Leap - Original Show Intro by Mike Post

_____ Quantum Leap (Rock Intro) by Ryan Gregg

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my box set of Quantom Leap today, and the pilot episode is fascinating! They kick off the series with a very interesting episode.

In the first scene, Al is racing along a long, straight desert highway in a super-fast sports car when he stops to help a gorgeous woman whose car has a flat tire. She's wearing a short, pink dress with high heels and earrings — both of which have decorative flashing lights.

The woman was played by Amanda Horan Kennedy, and not only is she gorgeous, her voice is electrifying!

I wondered if it was dubbed so that the show could present the most beautiful actress they could find with the most luscious voice imaginable.

Actually, that's exactly what they did! IMDB trivia has this.

Amanda Horan Kennedy (Tina) had her voiced dubbed by Deborah Pratt.

Here's a clip. Tell me if you agree with me.

_________________ Quantum leap...first jump

I wondered what Miss Deborah Prattt looked like, and I discovered that she's not only beautiful in her own right, she's a remarkably successful and accomplished person! Shocked

Here's part of her extensive biography from IMDB.

Deborah M. Pratt is an American Director, Writer, Producer, Singer, Dancer, and Actress.

After graduating from Webster University with a degree in Psychology and Theatre, she won a nationwide talent search and came to Hollywood under contract to NBC.

She wrote songs and sang on multiple albums, started acting, writing and producing. After starring in multiple pilots and writing for the shows she had been reoccurring on, she co-Created, worked her way through the ranks and became Executive producer and head writer on the iconic series "Quantum Leap" for NBC for which she penned 25 episodes and co-wrote an additional 15.

She Executive Produced and worked as the head writer for "Tequila and Bonetti" for CBS. Ms. Pratt co-Created for television and Executive Produced "The Net" for USA network. She wrote for multiple television series. As a writer, Ms. Pratt sold features to Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox animation.

She is a proud, award-winning graduate of the American Film Institute's Directing Workshop for Women and made her directorial debut with "Cora Unashamed" was for the BBC, PBS, and Masterpiece Theatre's The American Collection.

Ms. Pratt was also one of the original eight members of the post-1973 "second generation" of Dean Martin's Golddiggers troupe on TV and on stage. I found this amusing video.

______ Dean Martin & Deborah Pratt - Next Case

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention that the gorgeous and brilliant Deborah Pratt was married to the talented creator of Quantum Leap, Mr. Donald P. Bellisario — with whom she worked on that wonderful series, the pilot episode of which I just finished watching! Very Happy

I'm so glad I bought this box set! I've almost gotten enough enjoyment from it to justify the expense already!

Frankly, guys, I feel a bit sorry for you folks who've told me you never buy DVDs or Blu-rays! Shocked

Damn, I can't imagine depriving myself of joy I get from being able to plunk one of my many discs off the rack when I get in a specific mood for a movie or a TV series!

I realize I've spent a few thousand dollars buying all these DVDs and Blu-days — but leaving all the money in the bank wouldn't provide me with very much pleasure!

Like they say — you can't take it with you! Cool

Here's a small sample of what you folks could have. And then I wouldn't be so disparate to find features we could watch for All Sci-Fi Live Chats!
Rolling Eyes

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who-wee, now that's one SERIOUS collection of good DVDs you have there, Bud.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could figure out a way to convert DVDs to MP4s I could make any of them available to you (and the other other members of All Sci-Fi) through WeTransfer. Then we really could consider the movies I've got as our choices for ASF chat features! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I forgot to mention that Deborah Praatt (former wife of Donald Bellisario, the series creator) did the mesmerizing voice in the opening narration for QL.

I could be wrong, but the voice of the "interviewer" in the video below also seems to be hers. Very Happy

Unsolved Mysteries Of Quantum Leap - Donald Bellisario

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting news for Quantum Leap fans! It's coming back!

Watch this video to learn more. Cool

Quantum Leap Confirmed and Scott Bakula will Join the Show Because of This!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the woman who did the opening narration for QL?

A reboot of QL could be interesting, but if it's recast they will have to fill awfully big shoes. Bakula & Stockwell were terrific and displayed a marvelous chemistry together.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Who was the woman who did the opening narration for QL?

Scroll up six posts and read the elaborate comment I made about the beautiful Miss Deborah Pratt — the vioce of QL — and her amazing accomplishment! Cool

IMDB lists here as the voice of Ziggy for all 65 QL episodes. And she also dubbed the voice of the spectacular lady that Al meets in the opening scene of the pilot episode.

Miss Pratt actually appeared on screen as the main character in A Portrait for Troian, a season 2 episode that was a full-fledged ghost story!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: