ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charade (1963)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Charade (1963) Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Due to the suspense, the presence of Cary Grant, the structure of the screenplay, and the frequent plot twists, many people believe this was a Sir Alfred Hitchcock film. Hitchcock was not involved in the making of the film at all. This confusion has prompted fans of the film to call it "the best Hitchcock film Hitchcock never made."

Note from me: As brilliant as he was, Hitchcock's movies ran both hot and cold. This is just my opinion, but included among the brilliant movies like Rear Window are disappointments like Family Plot. In spite of chilling horror stories like Psycho, there are also misguided attempts at comedy like The Trouble with Harry.

That said, if Charade had been a Hitchcock film, it would have ranked a bit below To Catch a Thief but above Torn Curtain. But like I said, that's just me. Smile

~ It was agreed Cary Grant would keep all of his clothes on when he took a shower, as he was nearly sixty and slightly overweight. However, they then decided the scene was funnier that way.

Note from me: I guess you could say they turned a minus into a plus. Or better yet, they decided that Cary Grant minus his clothes would not be a plus for the movie. Wink

~ After finishing this film, Cary Grant was quoted as saying, "All I want for Christmas is to make another movie with Audrey Hepburn." Although it never happened, Grant was offered the role of Higgins in My Fair Lady (1964), and requested Hepburn as his co-star in Father Goose (1964).

Note from me: I wondered if Cary turned down My Fair Lady because he knew he wouldn't be quite right for it.

~ This film is in the public domain, due to the failure to put the then-required copyright notice in the released print. The attempt at a copyright notice in the film failed to include the text "Copyright", "Copr.", or "©", as was needed by pre-1989 U.S. law; only the year and supposed copyright holder were listed.

Note from me: And THAT, I suppose, explains why it's available on YouTube. Rolling Eyes

______________ Charade (1963) Official Trailer

________________________Charade (1963)

_______________ ANDY WILLIAMS - CHARADE

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the original script, Cary Grant's character romantically chased Audrey Hepburn's character. When Audrey Hepburn was hired for the role, Cary Grant objected to the script, saying that due to the age difference, the audience would think he was a dirty old man! Laughing Realizing he was right, the script was rewritten, so that her character was romantically chasing his.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: