ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtuality (2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Virtuality (2009) Reply with quote

"Virtuality" was a 2009 television movie that also served as a pilot for a weekly sci~fi TV series.

It was created by writer Ronald D.Moore (Star Trek: The Next Generation,Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,Battlestar Galactica reboot), and Michael Taylor.

Story } Phaeton,the first Earth starship is six months into its journey to explore the Epsilon Eridani star system with its 12-person crew.

The Earth is becoming uninhabitable and scientists predict that within the next century the planet will be inhospitable.

The Phaeton is Earth's attempt to locate a habitable planet for humankind. The vessel is now at the crucial point where they must decide either to continue with their mission or return to Earth.

Virtual Reality glasses have been provided for the crew due to the lengthy journey they will be on.

In the V.R. of their choice they are able to pass time doing things they enjoy.

However, the V.R. is experiencing bizarre glitches and a mysterious man is showing up in the V.R..

The ship physician, Dr.Adin Meyer, has recently discovered that he is in the early stages of Parkinson's disease.

I was darned impressed with this potential series but apparently the FOX network was not. They dumped on or around July 04th for its broadcast. Looks like the powers-that-be had little or no interest in the project since the summer months have the least viewership.

The production values, from the believable looking sets to the terrific CGI, were first rate.

The cast was intriguing and the difficulties they were running into were frightening and eerie.

This was going to be a dark ride with RDM as the writer. He brought a similar atmosphere to the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

I have always enjoyed both the positive and optimistic outlook that Gene Roddenberry and others have brought to their sci~fi productions.

I also can appreciate the darker and more scary approach as done by Ronald D.Moore and others.

There's certainly room for both visions of the future.

This was yet another fantastic sci~fi TV pilot that was never picked up by the network and given the chance it truly deserved.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of this TV movie, but based on the video below, it certainly seems to be on the darker side (as you said).

_______________________Virtuality (2009)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phaeton had nuclear pulse propulsion for its engine system..

The ship's engineer, from the bridge would operate via remote control mechanical arms located in the engine room.

The arms would place missile-shaped nuclear charges into tubes and then fire them out of the rear of the Phaeton.

The charges would be exploded and the resulting shock wave pushed upon a series of specialized plates. This would in turn propel the vessel faster and faster depending upon the amount of nuclear charges used.

It would take 180 charges in order for the Phaeton to achieve near light-speed.

The Phaeton was a beautifully design inside and out. It was futuristic looking but also realistic appearing enough that one could believe it was decades away and not centuries away from our technology.

The scene where the ship's engineer worked the remote control arms on the bridge in order to propel the ship was ingenious. You grasped the awesome power of the engine room---or at least this section of it--- realizing it was not a place humans could survive.

A portion of the ship had trees in it for the comfort of the crew. I wonder if they also served some other purpose?

On any craft you have only so much room to accommodate items. So those items will have to be invaluable and critical to the mission.

I realize that psychological issues have to be considered for any crew on such a long journey. So there must be items on board to help them survive from a psychological and emotional standpoint.

Seems like a tricky balancing act, eh?

Phaeton, in Greek, was the son of Apollo who was god of the sun.

Phaeton was an arrogant lad who took his father's chariot out for a joyride in the sky. He was unable to control the powerful horses that drew the chariot and lost control.

The chariot then went too close the Earth where it set the ground on fire.

The chief god, Zeus, struck Phaeton with a thunderbolt and killed him.

Uh, so you really want to name your spaceship going on a lifesaving mission for humanity after this kid?

The kid was cocky, set the earth in flames, and then died!

Are not spaceships named after noble individuals, or terms that denote the positive qualities of humanity?

Why not call the spaceship Titanic II, or Hindenburg II.

Yeah, that'll give the intrepid crew inspiration and confidence.

All kidding aside, Phaeton also means "He who gives the light."

I'm sure that is what the creators of "Virtuality" had in mind...at least I hope so.

Numerous SF TV pilots have been made over the years.

Some are terrific, some decent, mediocre, or poor.

I've seen just about every SF pilot made for TV over the years.

"Virtuality" was one of the best and most intriguing.

It should have been picked up by FOX and it's a pity it was not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: