ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mission To Mars (2000)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this wonderful film again a few days ago.

Twenty years later and the production values still rate as first class all the way from the sets and space station & space ship designs to the mysterious "Face" our intrepid astronauts encounter.

Ennino Morricone's music score is wonderful throughout the film.

I found it especially poignant in the scene right after Woody's death.

Last edited by Pow on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed a movie which presents both great concepts and terrific production values. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this wonderful movie today, another thought occurred to me and it's an unfortunate one.

In the finale when our intrepid remaining three crew members lift off from Mars, they all see Jim McConnell (Gary Sinese) fly by their space ship in the Martian spacecraft.

Sadly, after this astonishing adventure they'll have zero proof for any of it that unfolded within the Martian Face structure.

I did not observe Jim, Luke Graham (Don Cheadle) or Terri Fisher (Connie Nielsen) bring any handheld video/audio recording devices with them inside the structure.

If they had a bodycam on their suit, I didn't see it, or any moment where they activated it.

When Terri & Luke flee the Martian construct, they are unable to bring any sort of alien physical evidence from inside with them.

When Jim's ship flies past them, I do not see any of the crew taking pictures of the Martian vessel.
If there were external cameras on the hull of the Earth ship, we do not see a scene or hear dialogue indicating it was activated by any of the crew.

The Martian Face building completely falls apart in the finale.

So that isn't intact anymore. Can further expeditions sift through the rubble and discover any Martian tech or sections of the alien building?
Who knows?

I cannot recall if anyone was able to transmit pictures of the Martian structure---prior to its collapse---back to the Earth space station.

If so, then at least there's some proof of a civilization having existed on Mars.

However, in regards to the entire experience inside the Martian Face; NASA will only have the testimony of Terri & Luke and nothing else.

Even the third member of the crew, Phil (Jerry O'Connell) wasn't with Terri, Luke, or the departed Jim when they went inside the Martian face.

Phil did see Jim's spaceship at the end, so that's at least something.

But all of it rests on first hand reports with no evidence to back 'em all up.

I'd love to see a sequel to this movie. I want to know where Jim went & what he found.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like contemporary UFO sightings, contacts etc there is NO physical evidence. Perhaps it's more of a metaphysical, spiritual encounter.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps, my apologies! It was just a familiar sci-fi phrase, not a reference to your actual All Sci-Fi rank.

I simply meant that you're the board's youngest fan of classic sci-fi. Trust me, we're all intensely envious of your youth, energy, and intelligence! Wink

Enjoy it while it lasts, Miss Eadie. We all did that, back in our younger days, . . . and it's now just a fond memory. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: