ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Johnny Come Lately (1943)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Johnny Come Lately (1943) Reply with quote

"Johnny Come Lately" first released on September 3, 1943 by United Artists.

Based upon Louis Bromfield's 1938 novel "Mcleod's Folly.''

The film was produced by William Cagney Productions and directed by William K.Howard.

In 1906, drifter Tom Richards (James Cagney) arrives in Plattsville and quickly makes friends with newspaper owner Vinnie McLeod (Grace George).

Vinne's paper is in danger of being shutdown as she continues to expose the powerful corrupt town leader who seems to be holding all the cards.

Tom is a reporter who Vinnie attempts to enlist in her crusade against her foe. At first, Tom wants nothing to do with this fight, but in time his warm feelings for Vinnie and the underdog, along with his dislike for bullies, cause him to sign up with Vinnie.

Tom rallies a lethargic & downtrodden staff who feel the newspaper's days — and their jobs— are numbered.

It won't be an easy battle against the powers-that-be.

This is a delightful David versus Goliath type film that noted director Frank Capra would love because its in his style.

Cagney puts in a wonderful performance as Tom. who is both tough and kind, along with smart and charming at times.

Grace George is captivating as the defiant newspaper owner. She is an elderly and gentle woman with great dignity and wisdom.

Make no mistake though, she is also strong and has seen her share of life's difficulties.

Hattie McDaniel, Marjorie Main, and Margret Hamilton lend their considerable talents as the supporting cast.

This doesn't seem to be one of the better known Cagney films. It should be.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To heck with mere trailers, here's the full movie with a fine picture! And Mike has sold me on the story. I love movies about newspapers and crusading reporters!

Hey, Mike, how 'bout watching it with me and the chat room crowd in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK) on one of our Wednesday or Saturday movie nights! Very Happy

__Johnny Come Lately 1943 HD Starring James Cagney

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confession . . .

I couldn't resist the temptation to watch this movie, so I did it this evening! Shocked

I've asked Pow to join our movie chats several times, but he always seems to be too busy, so I went ahead an enjoyed this marvelous movie all by myself. Very Happy

Fpr the record, his high opinion of the movie is not the least bit exaggerated! The story goes from "quaint introduction of the characters" — to — "wild conflict between good and evil"!

Watch it yourself and you'll see what I mean.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: