ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Nemesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
It occurred to me while looking at your images above and reading your text that absolutely nobody who studied your finished model first hand would have the slightest clue as to just how much effort, skill, and raw talent it took to create this masterpiece! Shocked

It would be like expecting someone who was admiring the oil portrait of my father from several feet away would realize how many tiny brush strokes it took to create final painting!
Shocked

Thanks Bud! I like to think I put just as much effort into my relatively small Ent E as those who worked on the much, much larger studio model.

That portrait of your father is wonderful by the way. Such detail!

I never had the honor of meeting him obviously but I feel I know something about him just based on the wonderful expression you captured.

I could see this being the look of incredulity he’d make had you just walked up to him and asked to borrow the new car for a beer run followed by some street racing with your buddies.
Very Happy

Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
There are some that would just throw it together with a tube of Testors , hang it from a thread and blow it up with a Cherry bomb....And then there are "ARTISTS". The precious few who believe that they are producing true art.

Thanks Trek....For showing us how ART is made.

Thanks Gord. Glad you are enjoying the build. I too believe that model building is a form of art and how good it turns out really depends on how much effort (and research) you want to put into it.

Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't built great models like you, Steve, but I do like to "build" modified photos and artwork with Paint.net, the wonderful app we've discussed that you could use with future "Sherman's Planet" creations. Cool

For example, a few years ago I wondered what Dad would look like in a cowboy hat — so I found a painting of a cowboy and borrowed his hat!

Notice how I put a shadow across his upper face. Very Happy

____

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Notice how I put a shadow across his upper face. Very Happy

Well tarnation if your daddy don’t look like the spittin’ image of an old cowpoke in that thar picture, Bud!

Adding that shadow on his forehead is a great touch, something that seems like a small thing but has a big impact. Love your drawing/painting technique.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged, pardner! Very Happy

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First wallpaper decals went on today...

Below are various tools/supplies I use for decal application.
Most are well used.

One new addition I made recently was the purchase of a coffee cup warmer and round metal bowl.

Warm water makes a big difference getting the water slide decal adhesive to release the film from the backing paper prior to sliding it into place on the model; reducing this process from an average 10-15 seconds using room temperature water to a mere 5 seconds or less.

Considering how many decals are involved this is a significant time savings.
Another item recently purchased is the long metal tray which I got mainly for longer aztec decals like the ones for the nacelles and along the sides of the secondary hull:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decaling Station by Steve J, on Flickr

The deflector trench looks great IIDSSM:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Trench Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Lower saucer decals require cutting out the opening for phaser strips using an exacto knife:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decal Trimming by Steve J, on Flickr

t’s easier to cut the phaser strip opening down the centerline for application on either side of the strip rather than try to position the fragile thin decal film around it:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decal Sectioning by Steve J, on Flickr

After attempting to place the wet decal I found out the opening needed to be lengthened as the phaser strip was too long, this was the result of my attempt to extend the slot using an exacto knife:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decal Mods on the Fly by Steve J, on Flickr

I wound up sealing the decal with liquid decal film prior to brushing over the decal with thinned enamel,paint to match the dark grey color of the decal:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decal Repair Using Enamel Paint by Steve J, on Flickr

The secret to working with these thin, fragile aztec decals is to cut them into smaller sections before application. Openings for the recessed windows on the lower saucer were particularly challengiing. Here I decided to cut the decal material framing the recesses into separate top and bottom pieces and apply them separately rather than as one piece. This also applied to the longer sections between the recesses:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Decali Trimming and Sectioning by Steve J, on Flickr

Today I finished about half of the under saucer aztec decals:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer Aztec Progress by Steve J, on Flickr

After positioning each section using MicroSol decal setting solution I waited 15 minutes to set before brushing them lightly with Solvaset. Unfortunately, a few of the decals were too short leaving gaps at their ends. I will probably fill in the gaps using a few shades of light grey enamel to paint the aztec pattern unless I can find some leftover unused aztec decals from prior builds in my decal remnants stash.

Sorry for some of the longer descriptions. I can get a bit wordy sometimes.

Next post I'll have pics of the mostly finished lower saucer aztec and the deflector dish with its grills.

Thanks for posting any comments.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Time for an update...

This looks pretty good I think. The brightness is just right from what I can tell. Two Testors copper painted brass photo-etch grills nested to form the deflector dish. Glued on with Kristal Klear:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer Aztec and Defector Dish by Steve J, on Flickr

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Deflector Dish Aglow by Steve J, on Flickr

Some of the aztec decals were too short, some were a little long. I was able to rob from Peter to pay Paul a few times but there are a few areas I will need to make up my own aztec “decal” to fill in the blanks. Also one stretch of light aztec decal on the upper side face of the phaser strip tore somehow and some decal is missing so I will paint a simple aztec pattern on some leftover clear decal sheet and patch the holes:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer Aztec Touchups by Steve J, on Flickr

The aztec pattern on the decals is very light and not showing much contrast against my hull color soooooo . . . I am going to go back and add some darker grey spots using a fine tipped brush and a mix of light grey, white, and light sea grey enamel.

Here are a few I just painted on the existing decal:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer Aztec Retouching by Steve J, on Flickr

Not a bad job IIDSSM. I used a 20/0 pointed brush to make these wing ding type shapes. After a few minutes I scraped the edges using a stubby exacto knife to sharpen and square up the corners. This is not an exact copy of the CGI image but I tried to follow the spacing of the panels with my brush and my own custom shapes. I also tried to mirror the aztec shapes and locations between the port and starboard sides. :

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer Aztec Retouch by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up is sorting out and attaching the upper nacelle warp grills . . .

Last edited by trekriffic on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressionnante, Monsieur Steve! Cool

When you finish this project please tell your lovely wife to set you up with a good therapist who can help you deal with the emotional stress of "model addiction". Sad

David, please do NOT try to go it alone! You have family and friends to help you. And several cats.

Just take it one day at a time — and congratulate yourself each night before going to sleep by saying, "Today I didn't build anything. Glue might stick to me . . . but I'm not stuck with IT!" Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Impressionnante, Monsieur David! Cool

When you finish this project please tell your lovely wife to set you up with a good therapist who can help you deal with the emotional stress of "model addiction". Sad

David, please do NOT try to go it alone! You have family and friends to help you. And several cats.

Just take it one day at a time — and congratulate yourself each night before going to sleep by saying, "Today I didn't build anything. Glue might stick to me . . . but I'm not stuck with IT!" Very Happy

Well Bud, thank you for your concern, but it feels too late for me to rid myself of the need for styrene. I hope that, whoever David is, he can find the cure for his own modeling addiction, one that so many of us suffer from.
I myself have been attending model husband group therapy sessions for many years. It’s sad, some of the older members, those in their 80’s usually, are so addicted they try building models using their feet when arthritis has robbed them of their hands.

Some suffer from dimensia and have been known to confuse thin styrene cement for decal setting solution! You can imagine the horror they must have felt seeing the results.
The habit holds them so fast they can think of little else and have admitted to stashing models in the attic or under the house where their wives would never find them.

So we each console each other as we suffer silently from our solitary obsession, looking forward to the day God finally frees us from the pain and we are laid to rest, with a few of our most precious models, inside a coffin made of plastic.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well damn, I did it again. Embarassed

David is Krel's name. I get confused sometimes trying to keep the real names of members like you (Steve), Krel (David), and Mike (Pow) straight. Sorry.

Gord Green is easy. He's Gordon. Smile

Anyway, I corrected my initial error, Steve.

Fortunately I have a support group, too. It's call Typo-holics Anonymous, and we sit in a circle while we discuss our tragic inability to spot mistakes in our written work. Sad

"Hello, I'm Bud . . . and I'm a typo-holic."

"Hi, Bud!"

We all wear name tags — but the names are often misspelled. It's kinda sad . . . Sad

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bud. I belong to it too....

But my name tag says "HELLO, I'M GOD "

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't see me now, but I'm laughing my ass off! Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how many people come up to me and ask me to forgive them.....
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the cookies and coffee.....
What the hell is a eucharist?

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
And the cookies and coffee.....
What the hell is a eucharist?

EUCHARISTS are typo-holics who also follow the teachings of Bob UECKER, they just can’t spell his name right.

Forgive me Gord... er... I mean God... but you should know this.

Bud Brewster wrote:
You can see me now, but I'm laughing my ass off! Laughing

I think you meant to say “You CAN’T see me now” Bud.
Oh, that’s right, you are a typo-holic.
Sari, I forgot.

You know, I used to be a typo-holic too, but I’m much butter now.
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: