ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supergirl (CBS 2015 / CW 2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tvline.com/2019/03/16/supergirl-season-4-jon-cryer-interview-lex-luthor-casting-explained/

For Jon Cryer, joining the cast of Supergirl as one of DC Comics’ most iconic villains is part of a personal redemption arc 32 years in the making. The actor previously portrayed Lex Luthor’s nephew Lenny in 1987’s Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, an experience that didn’t quite live up to expectations.

“Part of the reason I did Superman IV: The Quest for Peace was because Superman: The Movie changed my life. I was 14 years old, and the tagline was ‘You’ll believe a man can fly,’ and boy I bought it,” Cryer told reporters ahead of his debut as Lex on Sunday. “Superman IV: The Quest for Peace had very high hopes, but was unfortunately very disappointing for people. That had always hurt me in a very 14-year-old boy way, so I thought this was my chance to do it right.”

(Fun fact: Executive producer Robert Rovner revealed that Supergirl‘s fourth season finale, as an homage to Cryer, is titled The Quest for Peace.)

Cryer also admitted, “This is one of the few roles I took without reading it. [Executive producer Jessica Queller] had told me a little bit about what they wanted to do, sort of bare bones, but … I really had to wait until I got the actual words. We’ve talked about who we loved — I loved [Gene] Hackman, and was a big fan of [Michael] Rosenbaum from Smallville.”

Rovner is credited with the idea of casting Cryer, but as the actor recalls, it was Queller who greased the wheels. Cryer said he received an e-mail from Queller’s boyfriend, The Big Bang Theory EP Bill Prady, that simply read, “I’m hearing rumors that someone wants to cast you as a character whose name rhymes with Shmex Smuthor.” Then came a text message from one of Cryer’s old summer camp friends — also a friend of Queller’s — informing him that the producers of Supergirl wanted to get in touch with him. “I’m the stalker,” Queller admitted, “but it was Robert’s idea.”

“My first question was, ‘Why Me?' ” Cryer said. “They had to assure me that that would become clear when the script was written. … I was very excited about working with Katie McGrath, and I love the whole story that they’ve set up for the season. I felt like Lenny was a branch on the family tree that fell off pretty early and was rotting on the ground for a long while. I feel like this was my chance to reclaim it and do it a little more justice — or injustice, as it were.”

Cryer’s unique approach to playing an admitted sociopath also includes a loose understanding of the Big Bad’s point of view. “I do believe that if the human race was faced with super-powered aliens, it would be deeply threatening,” Cryer said. “I don’t see that [Lex is] completely wrong … except the sociopath part, but that’s also part of his intellect and his narcissism.”

Hit PLAY on the video below for a sneak peek of Sunday’s Supergirl (The CW, 8/7c):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zk-PcRNhGE

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, folks, but I just had to post the funny jpeg below again! Very Happy

As a fan of Two and a Half Men, I was very proud of my photographic shenanigans while making this picture. Wouldn't it be great if somebody showed this to the cast of that very funny series, along with the folks who give us Supergirl!

Just for the record, making three guys look bald ain't as easy as it seems! Very Happy

However, the only reply I got after posting it was this rather depressing gif the next day.

And this was after I humbled myself and posted the pathetic plea below.

Quote:
Seriously, nobody is going to comment on the HOURS of work it took me to create the jpeg above?!

Damn, guys, how 'bout showing a little appreciation for old Bud! How hard is it to say, "Wow, good job! That's funny as hell!"

What I got instead was the gif shown above . . . which seemed to be saying, "Gee, Bud, I'm sorry. Nobody seems to care."

Wow, that was discouraging. Sad

Okay . . . so here's my funny picture again.

Any comments on my funny picture this time? (All I'm saying is, message boards are supposed to be dialogs.) So, why not take a moment to say, "Hey, that's cool!"

And folks, this goes for ALL our other members too, the ones who create great posts they hope everybody here on All Sci-Fi will enjoy! Very Happy

So, please make a habit of posting a little "Thank You" note as a reply to the posts you read. It's easy, it's fun, it brightens your day — and it does the same thing for the folks you say nice things to!

Try it. You'll like it. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed May 12, 2021 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It WAS … and IS a funny picture!
Very well done and shows a lot of work.... But other than "Atta-Boy!"....not a lot else to say.
So I'll say it.....

ATTA BOY!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An "Atta Boy" is all I need, and greatly appreciated. Cool

You've probably noticed that I say "Thanks, Eadie!" (or something similar) just about every time she goes to the trouble to share an article from Variety or Ain't It Cool News. And I've noticed that she's making a real effort pretty often these days to post things like that.

If I've read the article already, I can think of other things to say in my reply, but the important thing is to let her know that we appreciate her posts. And as a result, she's now among the Top 10 most active members! Very Happy

Just for the record, you're now in third place and closing fast on the second place member!

To be fair, I'll bet there's a few dozen posts that you've made, Gord, which I've neglected to reply with a quick "atta boy!" or a "wadda go!" — and for that I apologize! Sad

I'll be sure to take my own advice and not forget to express my thanks for making All Sci-Fi such an enjoyable message board. Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
The look of Superman's uniform (costume?) is much closer to the look in the current comics than in Man of Steel and Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justce — especially the gold clasps to hold the cape to the shirt.

Those clasps vary from artist to artist. I guess it's more a matter of taste than of style.

Me, I prefer the smaller chest symbol (that on Supergirl is about the right size) and no clasps.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Ask and ye shall received, Miss Eadie! Behold!

I lowered the belt (a change which I think it needs), I reduced the "shoulderpads" (something that helps), and I shrank the chest emblem (something we both agree on). Very Happy

Eadie wrote:
Now that's the way it should look!

Those clasps explain how the cape would be attached since he is taking the cape off a lot (at least in the comics). It's a better solution than having the cape sewed to the shirt!

Can you picture him taking out a super-sewing kit? NO!!!

Now get rid of those semi-football styled shoulder pads and replace them with folds of the cape like the original suit and add red piping like in Supergirl's suit.

One of the reasons I appreciate Eadie so much is the way she expresses her appreciation for interesting posts by All Sci-Fi's members.

Obviously I was very flattered by her praise for the alterations I made to Superman's uniform from the Supergirl series. So, here's a shameless plug for my artistic work to "fix" the Superman costume, along with some well-deserved praise for Eadie.

And just for the record, this is how easy it is to make a new post by "quoting" one or more messages by another member and putting them together into one new message with their replies, so we can enjoy the discussion in a single post!

Doing things like this keeps All Sci-Fi active and interesting. Think if over, folks. Give it a try. Your help is greatly appreciated. Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we'll be seeing at least THREE Supermen in the upcoming Crisis epic variations in outfits would be most appropriate.

Me....I like the classic!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Rao! Supergirl won't be back after tonight with new episodes until August 24!

Why is the CW delaying it for so darn long given it is the series finale?

Is this due to pandemic issues, or the CW making terrible scheduling decisions.

I was impressed that the new headquarters for the team also doubles as a cool looking star ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: