ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice Station Zebra (1968)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I remember thinking about an idea for a sci~fi film once that would involve a peaceful alien civilization arriving at Earth in the midst of World War II.

What would the aliens make of it? How would they determine what side had just cause without knowing anything about the history of our planet or the causes for this war?

Hey, another inspiring concept! Very Happy

The first mental image I got when I read your post was of an extremely peaceful non-human race whose starship enters Earth orbit with the optimistic intention of establishing peaceful relations with mankind. Very Happy

They make an initial first contact with the leaders of the most technologically advanced nation (America), but a short time later they are shocked when a sudden war breaks out between the U.S. and another nation (Russia) in a small nation in which both countries have their own politic agendas.

The benign aliens are baffled by this conflict and can't understand why these two nations are causing death and destruction on a massive scale! But they soon learn that this kind of conflict is shockingly common all over the globe! Confused

The aliens desperately want to help end these conflicts, but (as you said) they are completely ignorant of the complex political and sociological factors that cause it.

When the aliens contact the American leaders, they get our side of the various conflicts, and from this it appears obvious that we are "the good guys"!

But when they contact the Russian leaders, they are given an explanation which makes the Americans seem like the obvious "bad guys"! Shocked

Out of desperation, the aliens explain to both nations that they possess advanced technology which could be used against whichever nation is unwilling to end the conflict and negotiate a peaceful resolution.

However, both nations claim their actions are entirely justified . . . and neither one is willing to compromise!

Eventually the aliens conclude that it would be wrong for them to help either side.

They inform the leaders of the two nations that they're refusal to live peacefully with each other means they are denying themselves the vast benefits which these aliens could offer — such as advanced medical and technological knowledge, near-limitless sources of energy, and many other gifts the aliens are willing to share.

The aliens then announce that they're leaving — but they'll return periodically and observe mankind to determine if we've finally acquired the wisdom to live in peaceful cooperation.

The End

By gum, it just occurred to me that this premise could be adapted to my "alternate universe" version of Ice Station Zebra, in which the aliens covertly observe the conflict between the Americans and the Russians at the North Pole.

In this more optimistic version, the aliens realize that the satellite film will cause a serious conflict between the two nations — regardless of who acquired it — so the aliens confiscate the dangerous film and inform both the American and Russian governments that they'll return to Earth in several years to find out if we've learned to live in peace.

If we've managed to do that, the aliens will then offer mankind the gifts of their advanced civilization as a reward for mankind's new-found maturity.

The End . . . again. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got an excellent recipe for a terrific movie here, Bud.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
We've got an excellent recipe for a terrific movie here, Bud.

Actually, I pitched TWO concepts! Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trivia about ISZ director John Sturges.

Credits: Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), Gunfight at the O.K. Coral (1957), The Old Man and the Sea (1958), The Magnificent Seven (1960), and The Great Escape (1963).

Sidebar: Each and every one are very enjoyable films.

Sturges was known for losing control of his actors during filming.

Sidebar: I'd heard that about Magnificent Seven. I've never noticed in any of his movies where I thought that I caught that John was not in charge of his project. I'm sure there were behind the scenes issues given how moody & mercurial actors can be. Actors often want to run the show on film and TV productions. Let's face it, Sturges had some real tough type A actors to deal with in some of these films. Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Yul Brynner, and Steve McQueen were never known as the most cooperative actors on a set, or for their humble demeanors.

Sturges feuded with screenwriter Walter Newman on The Magnificent Seven & The Great Escape. He had Newman's credit removed from both films.

Sidebar: Looks like John had as big an ego as any of his actors. Interesting that he was fighting Walter on The Magnificent Seven in 1960, only to hire him again in 1963 for The Great Escape. Crazy business this showbiz.

Sturges directed documentaries and training films as a captain in the U.S. Army during WW II.

Sidebar: This probably was great training for Sturges directing career. I've often heard that directing the cast and crew for a TV series of film is much like being the general of an army.

Sturges received an Academy Award nomination for Bad Day at Black Rock.

He received the Golden Boot Award in 1992 for his westerns.

The Magnificent Seven & Bad Day at Black Rock are both preserved in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.

Sidebar: No love for The Great Escape, Congress? Based upon a true story of the heroic men who served in World War II.

Sturges considered legendary Japanese director Akira Kurosama's high compliment to him about how much he loved The Magnificent Seven, the highest praise he could ever receive. The Magnificent Seven was a remake of Kurosama's classic film the Seven Samurai. Akira would later send John a ceremonial sword as a gift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: