ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droning by Tom Yourk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about Bud! Laughing

Just kidding… Razz

Seriously drones are pretty cool, just keep them out of MY backyard!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardy ha ha. Very funny, Pal. Rolling Eyes

Hey, whenever we talk on the phone I always have a snack handy to munch on while I wait for you to finally take a breath so I can finally get a word in! Confused

Good lord, Morbius! I can't decide which of your talents impresses me the most; your technical expertise or your artist flare for showmanship! Very Happy

Every challenge you've meet and conquered has brought you closer to doing some of the things I suggested, such as "virtual tours" of interesting locations like old-or-current drive-in theaters.

I'm sure you'll come up with even better ideas!

Ummm . . . Just out of curiosity, are there any nudist colonies in your area? Your wonderful "Eye in Sky" would certainly get an eyeful while making a virtual tour at a place like that! Twisted Evil

Please continue to keep us abreast of your progress! (No pun intended, of course.) Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Hardy ha ha. Very funny, Pal. Rolling Eyes

Hey, whenever we talk on the phone I always have a snack handy to munch on while I wait for you to finally take a breath so I can finally get a word in! Confused

Touche’ mon Capitan! Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future is now, just wish I had the bucks to enjoy it.

https://www.jetsonaero.com/
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bucks are helpful, but a rich imagination and a website like All Sci-Fi are what gets me through the day! Cool

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
The future is now, just wish I had the bucks to enjoy it

https://www.jetsonaero.com/

In the late 1960s, Bell introduced the Bell Jet Pack, which used a miniature jet engine. One of the reasons the U.S. Military rejected it was the concern for what would happen to the Pilot if the engine lost a turbine blade. The idea of the pilot being shish kabobed didn't appeal to them.

I look at the video of this thing flying, and I see the blades are all at the level to Cuisinart the Pilot if it looses a blade.

David.
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a long story to this video but I’ll make it short. The drone I was using for testing the camcorder was left out in the rain. (My very bad)

Eventually I got it to work and while flying at about 80 feet altitude it totally quit and tumbled to the ground destroying the drone.

I salvaged what I could, but most of the electrics are new. So this is a first test, again, of the (new) zoom Sony camcorder drone. I want to be sure it’s reliable before taking it out into the field.

https://vimeo.com/642440612
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, the detail which your video provides when you zoom in is amazing! That alone is reason to be very impressed by your technological achievements!

Sir, I continue to hope that when you feel more confident in your drone's reliability, you'll consider giving it "missions" which explore interesting places — like abandoned drive-in theaters and other archeological sites! Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone technology is truly a guide to the future! There are more and more examples of drone tech to other applications. Like, for example ground effect vehicles that put Lukes' landspeeder to shame!

Keep up your work!

It really is a technological breakthrough!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord's comment gave me an idea of a good story which one of the crime-drama shows could use! Cool

The police are desperately hunting for a Peeping Tom whose sneaking around an upscale neighborhood at night and shooting videos through windows, capturing images of attractive females in scanty attire, as well as videos of the residents in the midst of having sex! Shocked

The videos are being posted on the internet, and naturally this is causing great embarrassment for the people they show!

The detectives are puzzled by the fact that nobody has reported seeing the individual, nor have police patrols spotted any suspicious characters. Confused

The key to the mystery comes when the detectives notices that some of the videos were shot from right outside second story windows — but NOT with a telephoto lens!

They realize that the Peeping Tom is doing all his peeping from the comfort of his own home! He's using a revolutionary new "low noise" drone (painted completely black) which cruises around the neighborhood at night, "window shopping" for salacious moments that he can be posted on line! Laughing

Gee . . . I ought'a be a writer! Wink

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They realize that the Peeping Tom is doing all his peeping from the comfort of his own home! He's using a revolutionary new "low noise" drone (painted completely black) which cruises around the neighborhood at night, "window shopping" for salacious moments that he can be posted on line! Laughing

Gee . . . I ought'a be a writer! Wink

OR A PERVERT ! LOL!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the two aren't mutually exclusive!

And I know how to multitask!
Twisted Evil
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure how many on this board are into RC models, 3D printers, DVR recorders, woodworking, welding, cars, motorcycles, bodybuilding, computers, audio equipment. So from time to time I’m likely to post something about some of my too many interests. Which are too many and to which I am a slave. But I know another interest which I think we all share sci-fi movies.

I’ve just recently been working on two 3D printers and two DVD recorders and am currently working on a Pioneer RT – 1050 reel to reel tape deck. The record head has gone bad and I’m trying to replace either the head itself or the head assembly. This was a top of the line deck for professional recordings in that it was a two track and had high speed for accurate sound reproduction and minimal distortion circa mid-70s. My record head has gone bad and I’m in the process of trying to replace it.

However, for those electrical enthusiasts on board, you may understand why a variable voltage and amperage in DC is an exciting and useful instrument to have. For the longest time I’ve always wanted such a device and finally made one. And since posting this video I’ve already had several occasions to use it for testing drone components. A long time ago back in the 70s pointless ignition had just become available for the automotive industry. Chrysler was one of the first to come up with a pointless ignition system. At that time I had a Moto Guzzi v7 sport (sold) which had two independent point systems for ignition. I was able to adapt the Chrysler pointless ignition system to this Italian motorcycle which I recently sold with this ignition arrangement still running great with this 70s technology pointless ignition system.

I sure wish I had my variable voltage and amperage test platform then but I have it now and am really pleased about it. Sometimes I just test stuff for the fun of it.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/655853488

from the wild and crazy days

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/misc/tybee1.jpg
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, your skills are way above MY pay grade, and I certainly admire you for having all that knowledge.

Back in the 70s through the 90s I routinely serviced all my reel-to-reel recorders (two TEACs and a beloved Sony 230 Stereo Center). I cleaned all the belts and the control knob contacts, as well as the recording heads and the pinch rollers.

Once I even replaced the record/play head on the Sony.

I still have the first Sony I bought in 1970 (still in use), and I have a second one I bought more recently from eBay, which became part of my living room set up (long after this picture was taken).

It sits on the bench to the left of the stairway railing where the Captain Power fighters used to reside, with one speaker next to the Sony and the other speaker on the left side of the room behind the sofa, on a window sill. Cool
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure do love audio equipment.

When I was in college, I had a cheap turntable set up, and everybody else in the dorm had fantastic setups. I was from humble beginnings.

So, after college I still sought decent audio equipment, perhaps because I couldn’t afford it early on. I made (and still have) a Heathkit AA — 1800 amp, Spec 1 preamp and JBL speakers. I have reconed JPL speakers and have made several speakers using JBL components.

Back in the 70s, while living in Boston, an outfit called Audio Pulse made a digital delay system. It wasn’t just a reverb but a system to replicate theater acoustics! I still use the audio pulse system now, which in my opinion beats current surround sound!

The audio pulse system was one of the first to convert analog to digital and put it through a memory delay to replicate large room reverberations/acoustics. You actually need two stereo systems — one in-front system and the second being the rear-system with the audio pulse.

The audio pulse system does not require the same power as the front system, as it replicates reverberation, mimicking the theater-or-hall environment, at less sound energy than from the stage source, but at delayed time intervals.

If you search eBay for Audio Pulse, you may still find one. I have several that I purchased early on, in case one goes bad.

Not sure if they’re still on eBay or not — or if anybody could even service one! It was high-end back then, as integrated memory was rare and expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: