ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Unearthly (1957)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: The Unearthly (1957) Reply with quote

This is certainly one of the most eye-catching posters ever created (that gal in the yellow dress could start riots in that outfit), but the title is a little misleading, because there's no unearthly extraterrestrial in this one. But one look at the cast and you'll know exactly what to expect.

John Carradine is a mad scientist (ah-ha), Tor Johnson is his assistant (ah-ha), and Allison Hayes ("Attack of the 50-Foot Women") is the heroine (ah-haaa).

Carradine develops a youth serum from a previously unknown gland (whatever that means). In the interest of science he kidnaps people for guinea pigs and does terrible things to them in his Frankenstein-like lab (complete with electrical bolts flying through the air for questionable reasons).

Miss Hayes becomes one of his intended victims. Myron Healey is a police officer who arrives on the scene, posing as an escaped convict. He falls in love with Allison and rescues her from Carradine, with assistance from Tor, who mutinies against the mad doctor.

If all this sounds like quirky fun, you're right, it is -- if you're in the right mood for it. Directed by Brooke L. Peters.

This movie was originally co-billed with "Beginning of the End" for nights at the drive-in when all the cars looked empty . . . except for all those feet sticking up.
Embarassed

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trailer for this odd little horror film, and now it's gotten me wanting to see it! Take a look.

______________ The Unearthly (1957) trailer

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

I wrote my initial post above from info I read about this movie, and I may have gotten a key detail wrong.

Wikipedia's plot summary for this movie doesn't describe the plot as dealing with experiments involving a "previously unknown gland" as I stated abov. It says his instead.

"At his psychiatric institute, Dr. Charles Conway (John Carradine) is surreptitiously experimenting with artificial glands to try to create longevity."

Artificial glands sounds much more plausible if you consider the state of modern gene therapy and 3D printers. Very Happy

~ A Question for the Members: Would it be possible for scientists to create "advanced versions" of certain human glands which slow the aging process, and then surgically replace the normal ones?

~ My Theory: Although I'm not optimistic about the creation of "engineered glands" which slow or stop aging, I suspect that things like an improved pituitary gland might be engineered and used to solve certain problems connected with aging.

For example, Testosterone levels in men decline with age, and the production of this very important substance is governed by the pituitary gland, which sends hormones to the testicles, signaling them to produce testosterone.

If an improved pituitary gland could be surgically implanted in an older man, it might help "put a tiger in his tank" (as the old Exxon commercials used to say). Cool

(Come on, guys! I’m asking a question and suggesting some answers. Now it’s YOUR turn. Very Happy)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, your query regarding genetically engineered glands put me in mind of "The Outer Limits" only 2-part episode "The Inheritors" first broadcast on November 21 & 28, 1964.

Written by Seeleg Lester & Sam Neuman, from an idea by Ed Adamson.

Early titles were "The Hu Tan Project" and "The Pied Piper Project."

This was a wonderful episode and certainly one of the finest to come out of TOL.

Plot: Four soldiers that are wounded in Vietnam and who should have died, mysteriously survive.

In time each man develops remarkable abilities that draw the attention of the Department of Science investigator Adam Ballard.

Ballard eventually discovers that the bullets that wounded the soldiers were smelted from a meteorite whose ore reveals a honeycomb effect similar to the configuration of human RNA.

Writer Seeleg Lester wanted to use this episode of TOL as a spin-off/pilot for a show of his own.

"Century 21" was his title for his proposed s-f TV series.

Lester had someone at the RANDCORP think tank present a decade-by-decade prediction of life in the US leading up to the year 2000.

Lester wanted to have his concept about a Secretary of Science character that would be part of the POTUS Cabinet.

The Secretary & his assistant would then investigate scientific breakthroughs of a revolutionary nature each week.

Example: Someone creates a drug that will prolong life for humans for 180 years.

Who is going to use it?

How do you parcel it out?

Would it become an object of desire by ruthless competitors or nations who would do anything to obtain the formula including theft or murder?

What about fanatics that would do anything to stop this formula because they think it is unnatural?

Would there be disastrous side-effects to the drug?

How do you select individuals for testing?

There can be a plethora of issues — and therefore stories — associated with this drug, or any other scientific innovation.

Lester had the Department of Science Adam Ballard investigator character for this episode written into his contract so that Lester had ownership of Ballard.

CBS wasn't interested in Lester's series idea.

This series concept by Seeleg Lester from 1964 is still relevant 56 years later.

It could certainly be revived and make for a compelling show.

Anyway Bud, the longevity gland scenario you wrote about made me think about Lester's intriguing premise for a s-f- show.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I can't thank you enough for your reply to my desparate effort above to create a new Thinking Outside the "Plot" post, in hopes of inspiring a reply just like yours! Shocked

For the record, I definitely appreciate the comments by every one of All Sci-Fi's valued members.

But when it comes my Thinking Outside the "Plot" posts, you're the one who has shown the most interest. Very Happy

In your post above, you not only replied with a comment which expanded my ideas on the subject, you also made us aware of a classic Outer Limits episode which explored the same concept! Cool

Mike, thanks for renewing my faith in All Sci-Fi after I recently experienced a sudden and unexpected ebb in my enthusiasm. Sad

My emotional slump caused me to post much less on the board during the last few weeks while I seriously debated whether or not the time and money I've invested in All Sci-Fi over the last fourteen years has been worth it!

I hope you'll continue to remind me that All Sci-Fi does indeed have members who think as I do, and who are willing to share their comments here.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great double feature, complete with vintage drive-in "welcome messages", two terrific trailers, a Three Stooges episode, and then the double feature!

"So, get comfortable, folks! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!" Very Happy

Enjoy!
_

Bride of the Monster and The Unearthly DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE (Plus 3 Stooges 3D comedy short "SPOOKS")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: