ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorial Day Sci-Fi Salute!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Memorial Day Sci-Fi Salute! Reply with quote

All right, you guys! Listen up! Put out those cigarette butts and fall in!

It's Memorial Day again, and I think it's high time this country acknowledged the debt we owe to the men and women of the American armed forces who've protected this country from its enemies!

I'm not just talking about WWI, WWII, and the recent Korean conflict. Gentlemen, we all know that those were picnics compared to some of the threats our brave troops have faced.

With that in mind, the purpose of today's briefing is to refresh your memories concerning the campaigns which took place between 1951 and 1955 — some of the bloodiest battles in American history. I'm talking about the threats to this great country which were posed by ruthless alien invaders, huge prehistoric creatures, and giant carnivorous insects!

Gentlemen, stand at ease — and pay attention. Your lives could depend on it!

The first major threat to mankind came in 1951 when a alien spacecraft boldly landed in Washington D.C., right across the street from the White House! These aerial reconnaissance photos show the landing site.

The enemy spacecraft was caught by a news camera as it landed. A undred people had to flee to keep from being crushed!

Our soldiers didn't take any chances when the alien emerged from the ship and threatened them with a strange weapon.

But the alien had a trick up his sleeve, and our boys were caught off guard. The alien was only accompanied by a single soldier . . . but he was an eight foot tall mechanical device, absolutely indestructible, and equipped with a weapon which was unstoppable!

However, we managed to stop him from carrying out his plans to prepare the Earth for invasion. After the alien enemy was thwarted, he was allowed to leave, but before doing so he delivered a threatening ultimatum.

Gentlemen, we must remain diligent and assume that this enemy will try agai! With technology like this, we can't afford not to be ready for another assault.

And by God, we didn't have to wait very long. The second attack came that same year, but this time the enemy tried to sneak in by landing near the North Pole! A team of scientist were assisted by men of the U.S. Air Force after they found an alien craft hidden under a layer of solid ice!

Not only was the ship encased in ice, so was the alien soldier, but he managed to escape and kill several of the scientists. The alien seems to have brought along no weapons in the traditional sense, but it possessed natural weapons such as thorn-like protrusions on he's knuckles . . . and they proved to be lethal!

But this alien was tremendously strong, and he was adept at using objects around him as weapons. Fortunately our boys managed to use technology in their favor this time, and the alien soldier was given a warm welcome to good old planet Earth — in more ways than one! Cool

But, as you men know, the peace was short lived. Sad

Just two years later a full-fledged invasion began, and America lived through a virtual nightmare, compliments of the invaders from Mars!

Never before has this country possessed such a brave and determined leader as General Morris Ankrum, who personally lead his mean into battle.

These men weren't just fighting in the trenches, they were fighting right down inside the strange caverns which the Martians created with their advanced weapons!

General Ankrum not only commanded our brave troops, he fought shoulder-to-shoulder with them.

By the grace of God and the bravery of our military, we vanquished those hideous aliens and restored peace to mankind. But the price of mankind's technological advancements began to take its toll, and several new threats arose — one of which came from the distant past, and the other from the remote desert regions of the Midwest!

It's ironic that the ice in the Arctic was the hiding place of yet another threat to mankind, but in this case it wasn't an alien invader. The test of a nuclear weapon not only freed a prehistoric monster from it's icy tomb, it also resurrect the beast and sent it on a rampage which ended in New York City!

And yet the beast was slain by the same force of nature which liberated it from the ice! A military marksmen fired a projectile made of radioactive material into a wound caused by an artillery shell.

The effects of atomic radiation caused more headaches for mankind the following year when mutated insects appeared in America's remote desert regions.

The military had to be called in to deal with the possibility that giant ants threatened to become the dominant species on the planet . . . and have picnics with people as their main course!

Okay, sure, laugh it up you guys! But this was no laughing matter at the time, and if it weren't for the efforts of the U.S. Army, your wives and girlfriends might have faced situations like this!

_______

Ah-ha, I see you're not so amused by that idea, gentlemen. Well, now that we're back in the proper mood, I'm sure you haven't forgotten that little fracas which happened about the same time as that rampaging dinosaur and those man-eating ants.

That little thing called The War of the Worlds. Remember that? Yea, I thought so. Rolling Eyes

Those bad boys definitely kicked our asses, in spite of the fact that our military united with all the other armies of the world.

Their technology was way better than ours —

— even though the ugly little assholes had a face only a Martian mother could love! Shocked

And the only reason we were able to beat those guys was because God, in His infinite wisdom, gave us good excuses to take Sick Days from work. Apparently Martians all have perfect attendance records and absolutely no need for health insurance. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, men, that concludes today's briefing. Report here tomorrow at 08:00 for the second part, which will cover the attacks by more giant insects, a gigantic alien robot, and a battle between a giant octopus and an atomic submarine!

Gentlemen . . . dismissed.
~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:27 am; edited 5 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An artist of your fantastic abilities should be able to make a shot of the Gort/Klaatu saucer from overhead in color; as of from a spy plane or a "secret satellite". How about it?

P. S,:

You missed Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (1956), The Mysterians [地球防衛軍 Chikyū Bōeigun, lit. Earth Defense Force] (1957) and Mars Attacks! (1996) among other invaders.

Poor intel & recon; G-4 would scold you.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eadie! Very Happy

But with all due respect, this thread is about American GI's, the kind that Memorial Day is all about. I'm not sure why you'd suggest that Japanese movies should be included. Confused

That said, the movies with American GI's in the plots which I had on my list but didn't get to today because I ran out of time (after working on the post most of the day) are the following:

Tarantula (1955)

The Deadly Mantis (1957)

Kronos (1957)

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)

It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)

But I'm sure you enjoyed my whimsical post anyway. Unfortunately, Memorial Day is over, so I'll have to think of something new to post tomorrow. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyable but doesn't Kronos take place mostly in Mexico?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking an interest in the post, Eadie. Very Happy

Concerning your comment about Kronos being set in Mexico, please understand that it doesn't matter where the story takes places, the post was about American soldiers fighting monsters and aliens. That's why it was called a Memorial Day Sci-Fi Salute.

Kronos qualifies because the atomic bomb they used on Kronos was dropped by the US Air Force. Mexico has no nukes! Very Happy

Actually I removed The Black Scorpion and 20 Million Miles to Earth from my initial list because the soldiers in those movies were from Mexico and Italy, respectively.

Also please note that the battles (movies) I made reference to all took place between 1951 and 1957 (as stated by the "sergeant" who was giving the briefing). That's why I put the thread in the 1950-to-1969 movie forum. So Mars Attacks, along with both of the ID4 movies, and many others that had US soldier fighting aliens or monsters wouldn't be appropriate for my post.

I just thought I'd clear up the confusion. Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And besides, Bud, your post was entertaining, amusing and just plain fun!!!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you guys, stop all that smokin' and jokin' so we can get started. Fall in and stand at attention before I knock your empty heads together!

OKay, that's more like it. I'll be damned if you don't almost look like real soldiers. Gentlemen, stand at ease and let's get the second part of yesterday's briefing started.

You, Jackson, stop scratchin' your crotch or I'll have you de-loused!

I told you yesterday that we're gonna cover some of the other non-traditional combat situations — those fascinatin' occasions when we found ourselves faced with enemies that weren't from this planet, or creatures which don't exactly fit into, shall we say, the natural order of things. Rolling Eyes

Private Richards, you know how to run a slide projector, don't you? Yeah? Good boy! That'll be your job, genius. You'll find in right back there.

Gentlemen, your attention to the screen, please. Okay, Richards, show the first slide.

A tourist in San Francisco took this picture one sunny afternoon, and this was just the beginning of a nightmare that cost the lives of several hundred people.

Uh, show the next slide, Richards. And I'll point to you each time I want a new one.

This giant creature literally tried to pull itself out of the bay, and it wrecked a hellavu lot of real estate while doing so!

Imagine a monster with arms this long! How do you fight a creature like this? Bazooka's would just tickle it, and grenades would only piss it off!

People ran screaming from this monster, even when it was just pokin' around — like a guy fishin' in his pocket for a cigarette lighter!

There was no way to escape from this monstrosity, even if you tried to hide in a tall building! It could reach right inside and grab you!

So, gentlemen, who can offer any suggestions about where you could hide from a huge beast like this? Ummm . . . how 'bout in the middle of the Golden Gate bridge? Does that sound like a good idea? Hmmm?

Show 'em the next slide, Richards.

The cop who jumped out of his car to shoot this next photo nearly got himself flattened!

When this thing started sticking its arms into the 'Frisco streets, the people fleeing from it were mashed into jelly. Gentlemen, it was NOT a pretty sight!

All right, boys, now that you "know your enemy" a little better, who can tell me what piece of military ordinance you think would be most effective against the monster? Bear in mind that you can't bomb it because you'd kill civilians and cause a butt-load of collateral damage.

Who's got a good idea? Anybody? Hmmm?

Richards, you've got your hand up back there! I hope you don't just have to hit the can, son. If not, why don't you show the next few slides and we'll find out if what you've got in mind is the right answer.

That's right, gentlemen. The correct answer is . . . flame throwers! Richards, I can tell from your grin that you figured it out. Nice going, genius. The Army boys used those flame throwers to force that creature right back into the bay!

But the battle wasn't over yet, and after this slimy creature's retreat to lick it's wounds and regret the fact that it had challenged the U.S. Army, it took refuge at the bottom of the 'Frisco Bay and ponder its next movie.

Fortunately, the U.S. Navy had a plan to deal with this monster. But that will have be the subject of future briefing.

Gentlemen . . . dismissed.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
And besides, Bud, your post was entertaining, amusing and just plain fun!!!

By gum, I never did thank you for those kind words, General Green! Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the shout-out!
I LOVED re-reading this post!
Brilliant Sir!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: