ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I just re-read the extensive post you made right above Gord Green's comment, and I was impressed anew by the great info you contributed! Thanks!

What impressed me the most was your description of the evolution which some of Harryhausen's projects often went through before finally reaching the point where we got the successful film that reached the screen.

It's scary to think about some of the truly bad ideas which were considered along the way! Shocked

Mike, thanks for increasing our appreciation for the movies we eventually got to enjoy — without ever knowing how flawed they might have been!
Shocked
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so welcome my friend.

It's a blast for me to be able to contribute trivia about films and television for everyone to enjoy, and because I learn so much darn stuff along the way.

And once again, Bruce, my profound thanks to you and all the folks who've been so instrumental in the creation & maintenance of ALL SCI~FI for all of we fans to enjoy. Whether we're reading or contributing posts, this is a wonderful sharing experience for all of us. I know that I learn a great deal from all of your posts that are so much fun to read.

I'm always well aware that this site could have gone under some years ago due to family issues and mechanical issues. So believe me when I tell you, Bruce, that we all very much appreciate you facing those challenges and managing to keep alive this marvelous site for all of us.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind words are as refreshing as a cold beer!

(I've said it before and I'll say it again. I ought'a be a writer! Very Happy)

Mike, in the years gone by we've lost an alarming number of fine members, some of whom we learned had actually pass away, and others who might have passed away, in view of the way they suddenly stopped posting and their emails no long worked.

Bare in mind that when the board had to be recreated in 2014 we lost thousands of posts. The numbers below only represent the posts for this "new board".

~ The known members who have passed away are:

Randy Everett - 128 posts

Bogmeister (Andrew Bogdan) - 574 posts

Bulldogtreker (Tim Edwards) - 1,029 posts

~ Several of the members below were frequent posters on the "old board" who have either passed away or just fallen out of the habit of posting on ASF after it was forced to start from scratch again in March 2014. Sad

Sadly, none of these folks have contributed to All Sci-Fi in several years.

Jack Deth - 7 posts

Casey62 - 13 posts

Yanks - 32 posts

John Thiel - 28 posts

Dr Acula - 30 posts

PumamanRedux - 39 posts

noetic_hatter - 40

Andrew Kidd - 44 posts

Mike Cervello - 44 posts

Zackuth - 52 posts

Bob Tarmac - 54 posts

Steve Joyce - 59 post

Tom - 74 posts

Skullislander - 74 posts

Bongopete - 76 posts

larryfoster - 104 posts

mach7 - 118 posts

MetroPolly - 192 posts

Rocky Jones - 226 posts

alltare - 354 posts

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinbad at the World's End was once a potential title for the film.

The inspiration for the chess scene came from a picture in a volume of The Arabian Nights, which shows a monkey playing chess with a sultan.

Ray felt that the demise of the Minaton was too soon and his potential was a wasted opportunity.

The Minaton should have been a far more important character and woven more intricately into the story as a terrifying tool of evil according to Ray.

The Minaton & Trog should have had the battle at the climax of the movie Ray realized after the film had been completed. Ray blamed only himself because it was he who determined that Trog would fight the Sabre Tooth Tiger in the film's finale.

Some people thought that Trog was actually a man in a monster suit when the film was released.

Ray thought in retrospect that he should have designed Trog in such a way that the audience could see it was not a man in a suit.

Ray was dismayed that few critics, or fans, ever mention the animation of Trog. He felt it represented some of the most detailed character movements he had ever achieved.

The Trog armature would be recycled for Calibos for Clash of the Titans.

I was always impressed by the set design for the interior of the pyramid. It was quite spectacular and epic in scope. It becomes easy to zero in on Ray's marvelous stop motion animation in his movies, but his films also offer wonderful set pieces.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Ray felt that the demise of the Minaton was too soon and his potential was a wasted opportunity.

The Minaton should have been a far more important character and woven more intricately into the story as a terrifying tool of evil, according to Ray.

This never occurred to me before, but the idea is intriguing!

All the Minaton got to do was row the boat and lift a big rock! Not exactly a career-making role for an actor, especially one who had no agent . . . Sad

Pow wrote:
The Minaton & Trog should have had the battle at the climax of the movie Ray realized after the film had been completed. Ray blamed only himself because it was he who determined that Trog would fight the Sabre Tooth Tiger in the film's finale.

Wow, what a great concept! Shocked

In fact, I wish the battle had been between "good guy" Trog and "bad guy" Minaton — with the Sabre Tooth Tiger doing its thing for reasons I never really understood in the movie . . .

Mike, thanks for sharing this into with us. Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When her son Rafi was killed inside the pyramid, the evil witch Zenobia metamorphoses her spirit into the frozen body of the sabre-tooth tiger. Once the ice melts freeing the tiger (which Zenobia made happen) the tiger attacks Sinbad & party because it is really Zenobia in command of its body.

Not to say that the tiger wouldn't have been a handful if Zenobia melted the ice encasing it but she did not possess it. Once she had control of the tiger, it was Zenobia attacking Sinbad, Trog, & everyone else.

I guess you could say that the tiger was just another innocent creature that became a victim and was not inherently evil.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salami Coker (November 22, 1945 ~ December 29, 1992) who played the black muscular crew member in Sinbad's crew had a tragic end.

He was raised in Sierra Leone where he was a gifted athlete, boxer, and weightlifter. He studied acting in England and later became a member of RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art).

He wrote & directed plays and performed in various theaters across the U.K.

Sadly Salami was executed along with 25 others by the NPRC (National Provisional Ruling Council) of Sierra Leone which accused the 26 individuals of an alleged coup against the government.

It was done without the due process of law and was in flagrant violation of international standards.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray's The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad was his one of his finest films. It was clearly the best Sinbad film he ever did.

Golden Voyage & Eye of the Tiger were entertaining in their own manner but did not recapture the fun and magic that Seventh Voyage possessed, in spite of Ray's marvelous stop~motion animation and excellent production values and location shooting.

I'm wondering if one aspect that worked against Eye of the Tiger was the lack of mythological creatures in it? After all it was a fantasy and that was Ray's favorite genre to do.

Seventh Voyage gave us such mythological creatures as the Cyclops, Roc, and Taro, the dragon.

Eye of the Tiger really doesn't have many such critters as those.

The baboon, walrus, hornet, and sabre tooth tiger are all based on actual real life creatures. Of course some of them were never the size as the ones we see depicted in Eye of the Tiger.

The 3 ghouls at the beginning of the film were mythological alright, but they were rather generalized as opposed to a particular countries specific examples of such myths like a hydra or Medusa.

The Minaton is based upon Greek mythology, yet here it is essentially a robot.

The Trog looks like a caveman.

I realize that it all comes down to the writing as it always does for any genre. So if this script was exactly the same, perhaps adding more mythological creatures from history would not have helped from the story standpoint.

But I bet if Ray focused on having more famous mythological creatures in Eye of the Tiger the movie would be more popular and rewarding to Ray's fans.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those little things you happen to notice. The witch Zenobia & her son shadow Sinbad & his crew and passengers in Sinbad's ship. Zenobia has created a gigantic metal Minaton to carry out the rowing of her vessel.

The Minaton is destroyed making the opening into the sacred temple. So who exactly was going to row Zenobia's boat back to civilization? I mean, had she and her son had lived and not died as they did in the film's finale?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: