ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Perfect Christmas Movies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: The Perfect Christmas Movies! Reply with quote

Today I watched the three best movies for a sci-fi fan to enjoy in the Christmas season. Very Happy

I strongly suggest that you guy find a way to follow my suggestion and make this trio of Christmas features an annual tradition, as I plan to do!

Here's my Christmas playlist.

Miracle on 34th Street (1945]

Why Is This A Perfect Christmas Movie?

Is Edmund Gwenn really Santa Claus . . . or it he just a delusion old man who firmly believes he's Kris Kringle! Shocked

This clever story presents as many clues that Kris is NOT Santa Claus as clues that he IS! Confused

Director George Seaton dangled this question before the audience in 1945, and it remains unanswered to this day.

White Christmas (1954)

This movie's credentials are impeccable. Director Michael Curtiz masterfully blends a strong story with delightful humor, great music, and dazzling dance numbers — all presented in Paramount's first feature in VistaVision! Cool

The result is a work of art that has entertained and delighted audiences for well over half a century. Watching this movie on Christmas Eve totally immerses the viewer in the spirit of the season!

My third choice will surprise you. Very Happy

Conquest of Space (1955)

This sound crazy, I know — but it hit me right in the middle of watching White Christmas!

I asked myself, "Is there another Paramount movie that features music by Van Cleave (who was involved in White Christmas), as well as an elaborate musical number by Rosemary Clooney and a surprise snowfall on Christmas Eve? Confused

That's a tall order, I know . . . but suddenly it hit me! The answer was obvious!

Behold! Shocked

Wow! Who knew that Conquest of Space was actually White Christmas on the Red Planet? Laughing

So, when I finished watching
Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas, I went to Mars to complete my Christmas trilogy! Cool

Merry Christmas from
All Sci-Fi

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the iconic It's a Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Carol (1951 version) that I enjoy around Christmas, I have 3 films that get me into the holiday spirit.

Apartment for Peggy-1948. The film really begins in the winter and goes through the year, but the story is moving and sure feels like a Christmas film. At least to me.

Come to the Stable-1949. Another touching movie about two nuns and their attempt to build a children's hospital in Bethlehem, Connecticut.

O'Henry's Full House-1952. This is an anthology film with 5 different stories with different casts. While they are are all marvelous to watch, I particularly found The Last Leaf very powerful.
The last line in that segment: "He was a great artist. And some day I'll tell you how great," puts a lump in my throat.
Of course Bud's selections of Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas are also terrific.

Conquest of Space is certainly an intriguing choice and appropriate for science fiction fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: